Nailed a pothole, please help pinpoint noise problems

This is a discussion on Nailed a pothole, please help pinpoint noise problems within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I nailed a pothole a while ago. This MFer was huge. It blew out the sidewall of the front passenger ...

Nailed a pothole, please help pinpoint noise problems

I nailed a pothole a while ago. This MFer was huge. It blew out the sidewall of the front passenger side tire on impact and threw off the alignment real bad. The rims on my right side, the side that hit, look okay, but that probably doesnt mean anything.

Now, when I am driving on the highway, from 55-65 mph, there is a slight humming.

Do you think that the impact was enough to disfigure the wheel bearings? Or are the rims slightly bent?

BTW, this is a 2008 WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tgwrx05 View Post
    BTW, this is a 2008 WRX.
    Make it the dealer's problem.

or

I understand that there are Subaru dealer members on this site that offer far more helpful posts than I do....avoid pot holes and man up for your slow reflexes.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    Make it the dealer's problem.

or

I understand that there are Subaru dealer members on this site that offer far more helpful posts than I do....avoid pot holes and man up for your slow reflexes.
    No way man, I have cat-like reflexes. I was on the hwy and didn't see it until it was too late.

wheel bearing damage is a definate maybe... my dad was driving in downtown houston one time and turned right into the train lane... then he freaked out and drove over about 30 city titties at like 30-35mph in his then new 06' BMW 330i.... bent all four wheels, destroyed all four tires, and damaged 2 wheel bearing beyond repair... dealer covered all of it.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

I did the same awhile ago when some stupid F^ck in a hickumuptruck ran me off the road right into the largest pothole I've ever seen. The tire unfortunately bit the dust but the car seemed fine for awhile. As it turned out though the alignment was F'ed up. Basically you should probably take it to a garage you trust have them look it over and give you an estimate or an idea sometimes once you know what the prob is you can repair it yourself. Hope this helps, an slow down obviously that pothole had to have been a blur.
    Cobb 2, megan header and up-pipe, catless turbo xs rfl tbe, and other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by tgwrx05 View Post
    No way man, I have cat-like reflexes. I was on the hwy and didn't see it until it was too late.
    Dealer's problem it is.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    "it though off my alignment real bad"

how bad- what are the post accident alignment numbers?

w/ that kind of hit I'd HIGHLY recommend an alignment- very easy for a control arm (or several other bits) to be bent.

a shop w/ a road force tire mounting machine can check for roundness on the rim to see if it's bent
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    a shop w/ a road force tire mounting machine can check for roundness on the rim to see if it's bent
    +1... i always get my wheels and tires road forced upon initial mounting and every 3 rotations. works for me, never had an issue with a wheel out of balance. the road force is really cool. for those that dont know what it is exactly ill explain. basically you put these little rollers on the front and rear lips of the wheel and then the machine spins it and it measures how true the wheel is by giving you back a measurement of how far out or round it is then.... you close the hood and a big roller drops down onto the tire's surface and it rolls for a couple of revolutions measuring how round the tire it it and gives you another measurement. then you hit a button and it tells you to make a mark on the wheel and another on the tire. then you dismount the tire and alighn then two marks. by aligning the two marks the machine has figured out the optimal placement for the roundest possible tire/ wheel combo. its a pretty cool system and id highly recomend it. ive seen a tire calling for 5oz of weight go to .5oz just by ridematching them with this machine. cool stuff!

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si