Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know for sure if there is a difference between the Sedan and Wagon rear lateral links? I've seen ...

Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan?

Does anyone know for sure if there is a difference between the Sedan and Wagon rear lateral links?

I've seen Whiteline has wagon specific links, not sure if there is really a difference. I'm not sure I want adjustable ones at this point, the STi bits with spherical bushings might be an option, just want to make sure they will fit.

The reason I'm asking hah.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh snap!
    ~Selah

What happend? I know that the wagon lateral links are shorter than the sedan because of a smaller wheel base. By how much? I dont know. I bought the left side rear lateral link and got sent one that was about half an inch shorter than the one I pulled of my car. So Im thinking that they sent me the wagon lateral link. I drive a sedan. So yea I think you need to specify that you need it for a wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Noktrnal1 View Post
    What happend? I know that the wagon lateral links are shorter than the sedan because of a smaller wheel base. By how much? I dont know. I bought the left side rear lateral link and got sent one that was about half an inch shorter than the one I pulled of my car. So Im thinking that they sent me the wagon lateral link. I drive a sedan. So yea I think you need to specify that you need it for a wagon.
    well wheelbase wouldnt affect lateral length.. track width would so i assume thats what you meant... however they are about a 1/2 inch shorter as you found out...however IIRC big sky has STi links w/ spherical bearing on his wagon. so maybe their or specfic ones, he would be able to answer that question far better than i could. i plan on doing these as well, however in a recent convorastion with TiC has convinced me to go a differnt route... basically he told me that the spherical bearings begin to get sloppy after about a year or so of driving and the constant grime and road muck that gets in them can ruin them in less time than that. so he told me that a very good option is to run group-n's or polys. which many companies make poly versons that are adjustable - eibach, whiteline, STi, Poltec, among a few. good luck man!

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

I found these

Subaru Rear Links
    GGA 02-06 Subaru WRX Wagon STI rear lateral links.

Would be a bit of an upgrade. I'm assuming the STi bits use at least harder rubber or urethane bushings.

I'm not positive, but I would figure that the wagon links would be shorter. They should be shorter by 10mm each, which is close the the 1/2" stated earlier.

Something to consider is the setup that both Mike(Big Sky) and I run. The '05-07 Wagons use aluminum front lateral links. You can use these aluminum links for all of your lateral links. Press in some Subaru GroupN bushings and you have a very nice setup which doesn't add much NVH. The only thing you need to complete the puzzle is a new mounting method for the swaybar endlinks.

Poltec makes a nice set of box endlinks. clicky

Pics of the setup:
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, how did it break?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Something to consider is the setup that both Mike(Big Sky) and I run.
    That looks interesting. Also removes the swaybar stress from the bar, which I tend to think had something to do with it breaking where it did.

Do you order those straight from Subaru or are they available from a ClubWRX vendor? Any trick to getting the Group N bushings in there?

The aluminum links are one piece right? Not adjustable? I tend to think the adjustables are just one more thing to loosen up and cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Wow, how did it break?
    We're all a bit baffled by that. It looks to be a clean break, doesn't look bent or stretched. I think it broke on the last turn of my last run at the auto-x. The car spun out to the left and I thought it felt a little odd, but my run was over.

So then my wife got in to drive her runs and the first time she turned left she said it "felt like jello". I was riding shotgun and yeah I thought the tire was flat or something. Then I found the broken link and said.. we're done. A friend of mine let her finish her runs in his car, so the day was not totally ruined

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I can't quite tell by the pic, but it's fairly common to see those links (sedan and wagon) to break where the sway link bracket is welded to the link.

Sedan and lateral links are NOT interchangable- one can go to sedan links w/ a wagon, but include sedan axles in your price of converting to the sedan track

The WL adj ones come in wagon specific size w/ uprated bushings (urethane)- they do allow some adj (not a lot as you go too long and the axle pops out!) which can help make cross camber corrections. The threaded sections would be prone to rusting- so keep that in mind.

There are two STi wagon specific lateral links sets available 1- a four piece set that a pic is posted above- it replaces three of the bushings w/ spherical and one w/ a group N (this is per side) you utilize stock style sway links w/ this setup as it retains the brackets 2- a six piece set that is spherical at all four bushings along w/ "boxes" and spherical sway links- this design loses the brackets. Remember w/ these that spherical bushings in the lateral links are a "no-no" for ST, SP classes.

JR posted up what we are running- basically oe front lateral links from the 05/06 WRX wagon (92X too) in the front AND the rear (by swapping in the correct bushings)- oe bushings replaced w/ Grp N ones. The final step is the Poltec "boxes" (which were originally designed as a replacement for the STi six piece sets as folks were seeing the pink boxes failing w/ larger sway bars) and Poltec spherical sway links. The bushings are a little more difficult to press in vs regular links- I had to do a little light sanding on the inner hole to open them up a bit (also went a little slower w/ the pressing). This is a ST/SP legal upgrade- as is the WL option as the bushings contain no more metal than the oe ones.

Last option is simply to replace the oe ones w/ oe ones- which if you do would be a good time to upgrade the bushings at the same time.

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

from looking at where those broke i would imagine that what happened was it snapped right after the heat affected zone. as the endlink bracket is welded to the lateral link and the welding would essentialy heat treat the metal directly around the bracket making it stiff but more brittle.... it wouldnt suprise me if this was the case looking at where it broke.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Hmmm, I have been running in ESP and don't want to bump up to SM over something like this. So looks like I need to go rubber/urethane bushings.

Those STi wagon links I found up above look to be rubber/urethane (I would assume it's harder than WRX OEM) So would be OK. But I still think yours look like they would be less likely to repeat the failure.

But I'm also kinda under the gun here because my car isn't drivable and I need to get it fixed ASAP, so don't have the luxury of time to mess around with stuff.

Are the OE front links like you run a direct fit? I'm sure I'll need an alignment, but otherwise they bolt right up? Is it just something I get from local Subaru dealer?

Group N bushings easy to find?

Thanks for your help thus far

Quote Originally Posted by Racenut3.0 View Post
    Are the OE front links like you run a direct fit? I'm sure I'll need an alignment, but otherwise they bolt right up? Is it just something I get from local Subaru dealer?

Group N bushings easy to find?
    Yes, direct bolt up. Both the arms and GroupN bushings can be had from any Suby Dealer. I doubt they have them in stock though.

subarugenuineparts.com might have the stuff.

I almost feel stupid asking this, but I don't have a manual available here at work.

When you are referring to the aluminum links as "front" lateral links, you mean they are the ones off the 05-07 models in the front position, but still part of the rear suspension right? I'm just imagining arguing with the Subaru parts guy about the front suspension not having lateral links.

Like so?

So just order 4 front lateral links? Is there a left vs. right since they don't have sway bar mounts?

Then a full set of GroupN bushings.
    Last edited by Racenut; 04-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Exactly. Same lat. link times four (4).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.