Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Racenut3.0 Nice tight rear ends are good +1... Matt...

Quote Originally Posted by Racenut3.0 View Post
    Nice tight rear ends are good
    +1...

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, so I didn't get a chance to take pics while I was doing it. Sorry, I was working alone and just wanted to get it done.

But here's the finished.. much like JR already posted but my swaybars are BLUE I was going to polish up the links for the pic but I couldn't find the metal polish hah

I was previously using the short (stiff) hole on the swaybar but the new endlinks don't line up so well there and it seems that at full drop the endlink could bind up on the rear lat link. So for now I'm using the middle hole. I'm looking at the Cobb adjustable sway mounts so I can push the bar forward to maintain alignment on the short hole.

Haven't had a chance to really drive it much, just to work and back. The couple corners I have had felt OK. A little different but haven't been able to really feel if it's better/worse, just different. Hoping to take a drive later today for work, I'll take the long fun way.

You mean like this?

I had the same issue, I had to call Poltec and have them send out longer rear endlinks. I ended up not needing the longer endlinks with my coilovers, but with my struts I had to get longer links. I'll take some measurements when I get home.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Yeah, like that.

OK, so I didn't get a chance to take pics while I was doing it. Sorry, I was working alone and just wanted to get it done.

But here's the finished.. much like JR already posted but my swaybars are BLUE I was going to polish up the links for the pic but I couldn't find the metal polish hah
    I was previously using the short (stiff) hole on the swaybar but the new endlinks don't line up so well there and it seems that at full drop the endlink could bind up on the rear lat link. So for now I'm using the middle hole. I'm looking at the Cobb adjustable sway mounts so I can push the bar forward to maintain alignment on the short hole.

Haven't had a chance to really drive it much, just to work and back. The couple corners I have had felt OK. A little different but haven't been able to really feel if it's better/worse, just different. Hoping to take a drive later today for work, I'll take the long fun way.
    ouch! Damn it Shayne, I was about to order the same parts but I don't want to buy new sway bar mounts too!

for the others, Shayne(Racenut) and I have near identical modifications, both wagons(his is an 02, mine's an 04), same tuner(EQ Tuning!), same sway bars(Cobb wagon bars), etc... Just today I snapped the same lateral link, on the same side, in the same spot. The only difference now is that shayne's incident happened at around 65k miles and i'm at 107k. He joked on the phone that it's because he drives faster. His autox times prove that true. hehehe.

Can anyone suggest a more 'friendly' setup that I could acquire in 3 days time? right now my car is sitting at work in the parking lot making me sad. If you autox heads recommend this then i'll go ahead and order the same parts and hopefully get this all done by the end of this weekend.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    My only other suggestion would be the Poltec adjustable links, but they are a bit more once you talk with Tristan at King of Parts!

Otherwise just find a stock arm and save the cash for later?
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdrama View Post
    his is an 02, mine's an 04

The only difference now is that shayne's incident happened at around 65k miles and i'm at 107k. He joked on the phone that it's because he drives faster. His autox times prove that true. hehehe.
    Just to correct... my car is an 03, and I have almost 51K miles on it.

Only reason I point that out is that mine broke that much sooner, hence I'm that much faster

But Matt, when I was telling you the cost of around $580, that included everything. Poltec links and Subaru parts.

Shane, did you ever get your endlinks figured out with Poltec? I've been extremely busy over this last week and didn't get to get you the info on the links they sent me.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    whiteline makes adj lateral links for the wagon- poly bushings, basically the same bracket design though as stock- it's possible that maybe they beef the brackets up????

STi makes two different sets- neither are ST* friendly though as they utilize predominately spherical bushings, one set utilizes oe style brackets, the other "boxes"- these boxes have been known to fail however- hence the reason Poltec even came out w/ them

the aluminum lateral link/poltec combo appears to be very beefy- the only other reasonable alternative is going stock links, Grp N bushings and have a machine shop beef up the brackets
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Shane, did you ever get your endlinks figured out with Poltec? I've been extremely busy over this last week and didn't get to get you the info on the links they sent me.
    I haven't done anything with them yet, as long as I use the middle hole on the swaybar it's OK. The sway is parallel to the ground at ride height and the links come close, but don't seem to bind up only at full droop while the car is up on a jack, I don't make a habit of jumping it so should be OK

But on the middle hole, it does feel a little softer in the rear. It feels planted OK, just softer. Almost like I could lay into a corner and lift the inside FRONT wheel powering out, how cool would that be? hah.. I don't think Stage 2 power is enough for that tho

I'm considering the Cobb adjustable mounts. I figure I could slide the bar forward a bit so the full stiff hole would line up right.

We have an auto-x this coming Sunday. That will be the acid test of where it's at. Lap times don't lie

We have an auto-x this coming Sunday. That will be the acid test of where it's at. Lap times don't lie
    sadly i'm going to miss it. I need to order parts. should I just get the same part numbers mentioned earlier in this thread?

4 x 2005-2007 Wagon Front Lateral Link - Part#20250FE240
    1 x Group N Inner front bushings (pair) - Part#B0220FE030
    1 x Group N Inner rear bushings (pair) - Part#B0220FE040
    1 x Group N Outer Lateral Link Bushing (set of four) - Part#B0220FE020

Quote Originally Posted by mcdrama View Post
    sadly i'm going to miss it. I need to order parts. should I just get the same part numbers mentioned earlier in this thread?
    That will get you setup for the Subaru parts, but you'll also need the Poltec endlinks.

To get four lateral links, the dealer may have to order. I didn't find anyone with more than two in stock, since that's all a normal car would use at once anyway. Tristan had to order them himself, that was 2 days, then 3 day shipping to me from PA.

Poletec for sure!

Aluminum, rubber bushing, adjustable, STi mounting of rear swaybar, and already put together!

did I mention less unsprung weight?

The whiteline pieces actually increase weight.
    Race hard or go home!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    depends on your definition of "best", if you mean best from a performance standpoint then I'd agree w/ the above- the Poltec is full pillowball- this lateral link set will deflect the least, it's also all aluminum (shaves some weight) and fully adjustable.

the down side of the Poltec setup (besides the higher initial cost) is the NVH- it will be the harshest of the three, always trade-offs/compromises to be made w/ setup
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

unless you get the rubber bushings!
    Race hard or go home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.