Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lateral Links - Wagon vs Sedan? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ha.. OK, I got all the bushings pushed out. "Practiced putting one back in and the sharp edges sliced off ...

ha.. OK, I got all the bushings pushed out. "Practiced putting one back in and the sharp edges sliced off the flange, and yes that was with grease.

Used some sandpaper and dulled the sharp edge, pushed the stock bushing in pretty easy.

Then went for the GroupN bushing... HOLY CARP! That's a tight fit. It seems to work like a squeegee and wipes the grease away as it goes in. Any suggestions on super slippery stuff for that? I was using white moly grease and got one in after two trys. I stopped while I was ahead and hadn't broken anything

Oh yeah... good thing I ordered the bushings.. one of the links had two outside bushings in it instead of one outside and one inside

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I use silglyde (sp?) from NAPA- it's a silicone grease- rubber friendly- I've had good luck w/ it. It'll stick a little more to the rubber vs moly, but still provide need lubrication. Put some in the lateral link hole too.

I'd consider opening the holes a bit- I wrapped sandpaper around a socket- it was very tedious and time consuming, but worked. There may be an easier way, I just wanted to insure that I only took out a minimal amount.

that's nice of FHI- would be pretty tough to install like that

pics- the guys like pics
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I'd consider opening the holes a bit- I wrapped sandpaper around a socket- it was very tedious and time consuming, but worked. There may be an easier way, I just wanted to insure that I only took out a minimal amount.
    Instead of modifying the structural integrity of the link, I took the bushing over to the grinding wheel and gave them a bit of a trim. The bushing for the toe adjustment needed this.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Hmmm... got the one side put back together and even when torqued down to 100ft/lbs, I'm not getting full thread engagement on the nut on the long bolt through the bottom of the hub. And yes, I'm using the thin washers provided by Poltec. The lest few threads are where the nut is stamped for self locking so at this point it's just on there tight but if it were to lossen at all it would just fall off. This concerns me. Is it like this for you guys? (JR and BigSky)

Is the STi bolt a lil longer maybe?

Here's a pic...

I Support ClubWRX
    that's very close to where mine is

you could get a thinner nylock nut if it concerns you
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 04-19-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: wrong torque spec given

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it and check it in a few days.

Also BigSky, for the outer bolt, the long one, the Subaru manual calls for 100 ft/lbs.

The inner lateral link bolts are 74 ft/lbs.

I Support ClubWRX
    your correct- I was looking at the inner

I Support ClubWRX
    forgot to ask how was it pressing them in?

The rear inner bushings were a bit of trouble. Did like JR said and touched them on the grinding wheel a little. Still bubbled out a little even pressing them in slow. pressing them in still caused a bit of material to get shaved off, even with sanding the sharp edge of the metal smoother. Oh well, I figure if its THAT tight, they're in there pretty good

The others went fine. Having a 20 ton press to use probably helped.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know why, but pressing them in the steel links is much easier- still worth the effort though

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    that's very close to where mine is
    +1

I haven't had problems with mine yet. *knocks on wood*

Also, if you put a nice smooth rounded edge on the aluminum arms before you press in the bushings, it makes things go much easier.

Yeah, I hit the sharp edge with some sandpaper before starting. All the others went fine, but those rear inners were extra tight even after running them on the grinder a little bit.

Oh well, at this point I'm done. The first side took me a while, had to figure a few things out, like how to break loose the inner bolts with the car on the ground, would have been easy up on a lift. Once I figured that out, the other side didn't take long at all.

Took it for a ride to make sure there weren't any funny noises. I think I'll take it easy for a few days and then check all the nuts and bolts. I'm also going to mark that one nut that doesn't bit all the way so I can see if it moves at all. I can see it through the wheels so it would be easy to check it that way.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm hoping this will be a better setup than I had before. Gotta get a better strut/spring combo and then some R-comp tires now

Once you do get on things a bit, I was amazed how tight the rear end feels.

Nice tight rear ends are good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.