Grinding noise when turning sharp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grinding noise when turning sharp within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I make a hard right hand turn, there sounds like a grinding noise comming from the pass. side rear ...

Grinding noise when turning sharp

When I make a hard right hand turn, there sounds like a grinding noise comming from the pass. side rear wheel area. It dosent make the noise any other time....I checked the disc shield, and it looks like the car was dropped without the tire on it, and bent up the disc shield at some point, but it dosent look like anything is rubbing. When I first bought the car, it was making the sound, and I figured it was just this guard, so when I got it home, I bent the shield out some, and the sound went away. Last week I took a hard right turn, and now the sound is back..... Do you think it could be a bearing???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had a similar prob on my 02 protege 5. i replaced the wheel bearing and the sound went away. try that. get a new bearing, 20 - 70 bucks depending on quality, and 50 - 100 to get it pressed in. the hard part is just getting the old hub off and finding a way to get it to a machine shop. total time for me to replace the wheel bearing was about 2 hours, not including machine shop time. i would suggest getting a breaker bar and the correct wheel hub nut size before tearing your car apart as these i didnt get. (i got a 1.5 foot breaker with a 32 mm hub nut socket, took the nut off in about 5 seconds). you wont need a steering nuckle remover like i did though. if that doesnt solve the problem, maybe a new half-shaft? try with the wheel bearing first.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if it's metal on metal grinding noise (and it isn't the dust shield- I'd check again) then it could be the rotor actually rubbing on the inside- you'll have to look at the rotor to see- it's actually a pretty common problem- enough so that many Subaru dealerships when doing a rear rotor install they grind a portion of the rotor off

check this thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1269334
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Thanks for the replys. I think what I will do is find out who has a bearing in-stock, take the rotor off, and if I dont see any clean areas on the rotor, then I will replace the bearing while I have everything apart. I swear its just the shield or I guess the rotor rubbing though. For some reason I dont really think its a bearing, but I guess I will find out.

Today I went out driving and took a couple hard turns left and right. Now the grinding noise happens when turning both ways. I looked at the shield today while I had my wheels off for painting, and didnt really see any problems. So now Im guessing its the bearing....Anyone know who has the best prices on bearings, and any directions about changing them

Thanks!!

If it was possibly the dust shield (though I didnt see any contact), would the axle/or rotor move enough for the rotor to have contact with the shield???

I Support ClubWRX
    you might want to jack up the rear, grab the rear tire at 3 and 9 o clock and firmly pull on one side and push on the other at the same time- then repeat doing the opposite, do the same at 12 and 6 o clock- if there is play then it's likely the bearing is going

I still think there is a chance it's the rotor- did you read the posted thread above? might be worth trying swapping a new rotor in and see, might be worth trimming the lower dust shield as shown in that thread as well

if it's the bearing then subarugenuineparts.com would be one place to look- nasioc has a pretty good how to on wheel bearing swap

also a bearing will usually make noises right along (often more noise at certain speeds) and not usually dependent on turning

Yea, and I thought the same thing--if its the bearing, it should be making noise pretty much all the time. Do you think that the axle moves, or the rotor side to side, to make the shield rub on the rotor?? Really, thats what it sounds like. The sharper I turn, and the harder I turn, the louder the grinding noise is. But I really dont think that the rotor should move side to side to make anything rub....

the process of taking off the hub is easy. you just have to remove the wheel, remove the caliper, remove the axle nut, and unbolt the 4-8 bolts holding the hub on.

the axle nut, at least on my p5, was a gold nut that fit over the axle itself and held the hub onto the car so it didnt have a chance to slip off for any reason while driving.

remove the bolts holding the hub on, and take it to a machine shop to get them to press the new bearing in.

you can get a new bearing at any decent auto parts store or the dealership (bring your lube though). i picked up a decent bearing for 20 bucks. the press in was about 50. if you took this to a place like les schwab, they would charge around 75-100 for the labor, and 50 for the bearing. but you dont have to do anything.

you get the wheel off, and it should look something like this.

http://www.mfavp.com/wheelstud/washers.jpg

take off the gold nut in the center, the surrounding bolts holding the peice of metal onto the car, and slip the entire assembly off the car. you should have a metal rod with teeth that run perpenduclar to the motion of the car, kinda like a water wheel. take the peice you just removed from the axle, very top of the next pic

http://www.innovativetuning.com/cata...es/DSSSU55.jpg

and take that to the machine shop with the new bearing. tell them you want the new bearing pressed in and they will give you a call back in the next few hours if you get there early in the morning. put everyting back together and make sure all of the bolts are in tight as these are holding your car off the ground. total time, 2-3 hours per wheel if you know what you are doing, 3-5 if this is the first time. total cost, 60-100 depending on how much the bearing and machine shop costs are. dealership, probably 200-400, and third party 150-250

i just thought that if its only during turns, it could be your u-joints. they could be going bad, which means a half shaft. try the bearing first as this is the cheaper route.

yea, its only making the noise in the turns----thanks for all the info

I Support ClubWRX
    subaru isn't that easy for bearings as posted above- the hub is pressed into the knuckle, not bolted in

two basic ways to do a subaru bearing- on car, need slide hammer and a "special" tool for install- there is a thread on nasioc that outlines how to make your own "special" tool out of pvc pipe- the other option is to spring for the hub shark- spendy, but a nice setup

off car w/ the use of a press- there is a fair amount of work involved even if you take the knuckle in have someone press out/in the bearing

you have all of the e-brake components to mess w/- not fun- the lateral links have to come off on their outer portion (which necessitates an alignment)- certainly doable but not what I'd consider a cake walk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    if it's metal on metal grinding noise (and it isn't the dust shield- I'd check again) then it could be the rotor actually rubbing on the inside- you'll have to look at the rotor to see- it's actually a pretty common problem- enough so that many Subaru dealerships when doing a rear rotor install they grind a portion of the rotor off

check this thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1269334
    I noticed that this thread sounds like the same problem, but these are drum brakes. I have disc on my wrx... You think its the same problem??

I Support ClubWRX
    nope those are disc brakes- what your seeing is the e-brake components

Thanks for all the help. I took the rotor off today, and found the small spot where it was rubbing on the backing plate. I ground off the small area on the bottom where it was rubbing and put it all back together. Took it for a test drive and it was still rubbing, but not as bad. So I took everything back apart, ground off some more, and made a couple passes on the back of the rotor. Put it all back together, and no more grinding..... Thanks again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast