Odd wheel fitment size
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Odd wheel fitment size within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys and girls. I am looking to buy a new set of rims, but am unsure of the offset ...

Odd wheel fitment size

Hi guys and girls.

I am looking to buy a new set of rims, but am unsure of the offset I need. I looked around on here to find someone with similar wheels but didn't find much, at least not enough to be fully informed.

I have stock suspension and no plans for lowering.

I want to get 18"x9" Rear and 18"x8" Front.
    I've also noticed that our wheel wells hang over about an inch from the stock tire location, and I don't mind if my wheels protrude to fill that extra space (hence the 9" in back).

Is there even a way to put 9" width in safely?
    I need the 5 on 100 bolt pattern, but what offset range?

Thanks a ton

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why are you going with a staggared setup?
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    You cannot use a staggered setup on an AWD car. It will cause one of the axles to travel at a higher rate of speed than the other. The WRX allows for very little tolerance when it comes to the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo.

There are guys who have thrashed their differentials just by driving at a highway speeds with a spare donut on the car.

You've been warned..... if you do it anyway, and leave your rear differential/axles laying on the highway behind you while doing a super-cool "ass-slide" down the highway.... we all get to laugh at you--LOL

With that said.... the widest you can go is 8 inches. Yes, there are wheel distributors that will sell you a 9-inch wide wheel and tell you it'll fit just fine. It will.... for awhile..... until you thrash your wheel bearings from the wrong offset.

56mm.... thats your target number..... on an 8 inch wide wheel. Thats perfect fitment, safe, and will not rub your fenders.

Thats assuming you have a WRX sedan

STIs can go with 8.5 width, due to the inverted strut design
    WRX wagons can only go 7.5, or the rear fenders will rub

For more info, call Subydude.com.. they are very knowledgeable on this subject, and also have a great price on wheel/tire combos.

Afterthought (edited).... with 18 inch wheels... your car is going to look silly without at least a moderate drop. Taller whhels/shorter tires will accentuate the fender gap, not take away from it. May want to think about a good, moderate, drop spring... Eibach, prodrive, etc. Stay away from Cobb, Tein S techs.... that much drop will cause you to rub bad.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-06-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I was going to go with a staggered setup because the overhang from the rear quarterpanel area seemed larger than from the front QP.
    But now I'm not going to Thats why I ask things here first lol.

And I've thought about getting a small drop but decided against it because of rub issues and whatnot; I may be reconsidering it now though.
    Mainly it was spring install cost, but my buddy installed them on his just fine so I think we may just end up doing it now.

I appreciate the info btw.

I do have a wrx tr sedan, 07. Is the 56mm offset for 8" wheels? or for the 9's which wont work (will but will damage my car, so they wont work lol)

could he not run a different offset in the rear as long as he corrects the camber and keeps the same width tires?

... what is camber? I'm assuming some type of alignment adjustment?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    You cannot use a staggered setup on an AWD car.
    It's done by several manufacturers. Example in photo (there are other makers that have done it to other cars, but I happen to like this photo).

The WRX allows for very little tolerance when it comes to the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo.
    Granted, Subaru is not one of them. Still, the main issue as you point out would be diameter or circumference, not width.

In any case it's pointless on the Impreza IMO, unless the stagger were reversed (with width added to the front rims).

Quote Originally Posted by SilasJordan.USF View Post
    ... what is camber? I'm assuming some type of alignment adjustment?
    The angle generated when a set of wheels across an axle have a different distance between their tops than they do their bottoms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lancia Delta S4 Markku Alen1986 Monte Carlo Rally .jpg  
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-06-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thank you for the explanation

I think I'm going to go with these
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ip&showRear=no
    Any suggestions on tire specs? I've decided to do a small drop eventually, something like eibach or prodrive

Quote Originally Posted by SilasJordan.USF View Post

those 19's are going to look RIDICULOUS on a WRX
    Last edited by efmd3; 03-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.

whoops, I meant to link to the 18's.

No 19's lol

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Yes, 56mm is the correct offset for an 8 inch wide wheel. It's safe, and the wheels will not rub.

How do I know? I use them.

And yes, you can go with a performance spring.... just not a dramatic drop... stick with a subtle drop, which is why I recommended Eibach or Prodrive. S-Techs and Cobb springs are a major drop, and you will rub.

I run 18x8 wheels, with a 56mm offset, and 235/40/18 tires, and the Eibach pro-kit springs (1.2front, 0.8 rear).. absolutely no rubbing whatsoever.

Regarding a different offset on just the rear wheels...... I "guess" you could... but there could be rubbing/clearance issues. Ultimately, you want to make sure you have the exact same tire on all 4 corners of your car.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.