why camber plates may even better than you think

This is a discussion on why camber plates may even better than you think within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Camber plates off an obvious advantage of gaining additional negative camber over what can be gained just from the oe ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

why camber plates may even better than you think

Camber plates off an obvious advantage of gaining additional negative camber over what can be gained just from the oe eccentric bolts. This is still the biggest advantage of camber plates, but beyond this obvious advantage there are several others folks might not be aware of.

First by manipulating the orientation of the plates you can gain addidtional positve caster (in addition to more negative camber)- the amount varies by plate design and the extra caster means sacraficing some neg camber, but often yields more than enough neg camber for a lot of folks.

Second there is a fair amount of deflection in the oe strut top- Whiteline measured as much as 5mm- this was in hard cornering- not going off a jump A Group N mount will reduce this deflection but not eliminate it, a metal camber plate virtually eliminates it.

Thirdly by moving the strut tops inward (this is how camber plates increase neg camber) you improve the roll center. If you've read much about lowering you know that it negatively impacts the roll center (it's relation w/ the center of gravity specifically)- camber plates help improve this relationship when lowering (bit doesn't fully negate depending on the amount of lowering)

this has some pretty neat modeling diagrams showing the effect of moving the strut top inboard- courtesy of zzyzx motorsports

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/library/...nd-reality.pdf

Lastly if you look closely at the diagram you'll see a change in scrub radius as well- when we change the offset of or wheels- almost always lower- we impact scrub radius. By moving the strut tops inboard our scrub radius (w/ our lower offset wheels) is very near what it originally was from the factory

I'm certainly not advocating camber plates for everyone, quite frankly they aren't needed or justified for most applications, but wanted to point there are more advantages than meets the eye.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's pretty interesting stuff. I don't understand that link near well enough to discuss it, but maybe something will start to sink in if I subscribe here.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Dude, I'll read your suspension threads all day. Thanks again for an awesome overview. The info is always appreciated.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Banned
    Big Sky you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Very cool, good article. I had been thinking of moving the top of the struts inboard to help with camber, didn't realize how much else it would help.

Whats a good brand to get camber plates from? I would assume they're adjustable...

And who's going to be the first to fab upper control arms for their Subaru? Really, it's like the one thing I'm least happy about on my WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by super13pill
    Whats a good brand to get camber plates from? I would assume they're adjustable...
    What year?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2003 wrx wagon.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by super13pill View Post
    And who's going to be the first to fab upper control arms for their Subaru? Really, it's like the one thing I'm least happy about on my WRX.
    Are you talking about moving to a double wishbone setup? Likely to never happen on the front, at least. 2008+ WRX's are now double wishbone rear, but to save space in the engine bay, a MacPherson strut design will likely always be the front suspension of choice for Subaru barring any improvements in suspension design in the future.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Yeah yeah I know... kinda meant as a joke. It's way easier to work around the weaknesses of the mcstruts.
    /sigh