The necessity of ice/snow tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on The necessity of ice/snow tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get some reasonably priced ...

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get some reasonably priced OEM 16" wheels? Or should I just grab a set of 4 cheapy Tirerack $100 , 20lb alloys?
    Get a set of stockers.

Try the Personal For Sale section.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/archived-sale-threads/
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

While we're on this topic, can people throw out some good suggestions for snow tires on the WRX (on stock rims)? I know blizzak's have the rep, as do Nokian, but are they worth the name and (in some cases) price?

Also, what do people think about buying "closeout" items from places such as TireRack? They are sometimes a sweet deal, but they also warn that they probably won't be carrying them in the not too distant future (screwed in the long run?). Or should you just not order and drive into your local tire shop?

I for one am on the "need snow tires" boat. I went through last winter in NH with relatively new Bridgestone Potenza all seasons, and it SUCKED in snow. I used to drive an A6 quattro, and that I got away with good all seasons or "Sport Winter" tires, BUT that car had some weight to it. I would NOT recommend stock tires, or even basic all-seasons on the WRX in regions of even moderate to heavy snowfall (in the winter).

Just my opinion, and thanks for tire suggestions!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogers View Post
    I know blizzak's have the rep, as do Nokian, but are they worth the name and (in some cases) price?
    Generally, yes.

Also, what do people think about buying "closeout" items from places such as TireRack?
    I have done it with summers in the past. Should have gotten multiple sets but they go bad on the shelf too (if you're picky) and they cost money up front. I'd do it again.

They are sometimes a sweet deal, but they also warn that they probably won't be carrying them in the not too distant future (screwed in the long run?).
    It's only a problem if you experience a catastrophic failure and need to replace 1 or more tires. In that case you'd be shopping for a set anyway unless it happens soon after buying the closeout (no accounting for luck but it's unlikely).

Or should you just not order and drive into your local tire shop?
    Shop around. Online vendor + shipping + mounting locally is usually cheaper, but may not be if someone local is running a big sale.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't read all the comments but I think I get the drift.

I am going to buck the system here again. All seasons have come a long way folks - mostly following development by Nokian of tires for year round use in Finland in the early 2000's. You can see compared to the all seasons I run there is a wopping 2% difference in ice traction (at low speeds albeit) versus a performance winter tire, and a 25% difference with a *Q rated* full on winter tire:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icetraction_graph2wd.gif 
Views:	130 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	74182

Note in the article this data is misinterpreted to indicate a clear advantage, which is not at all supported except for the Q rated tire.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=80

Yet in the dry and wet in summer these RE960 tires surpass my old proxes 4s in every way. I think it would show much more than a 2% improvement (or 25% as the case may be) compared to snows on dry winter roads. Also, I would not consider a Q rated tire for personal reasons.

BTW the stock tires are designed so that you can learn to slide your car around a little better before you replace them with just about anything else in the world, all of which will bet better in any given condition.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-20-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I'm jumping on this bandwagon also....I currently have brand new ContiTouringContact tires, that are relatively new. But, I live near Vail, CO and commute 30 miles each way, so I'd prefer winter tires....I found these:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=18

Decent reviews, aggressive tread and studdable. Only $90/tire studded. Unless I can get a set of stock wheels for less than $200 I'm gonna go with plain old school steel wheels with these winterforce tires.

Anyone have any other suggestions/criticisms/advice otherwise?

Thanks,
    Randy
    Proud owner of an '04 Scoobie 'Rex San Remo Red
    '62 International Harvester Scout 80
    '96 Pierce Saber Rescue-Pumper
    '99 Pierce Dash 100' Platform ladder
    ***Blobeye Syndicate #951***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12