BC Racing BR-series coilovers - a review

This is a discussion on BC Racing BR-series coilovers - a review within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think I'm the first (or one of the first) on the club to try out BC Racing coilovers, so ...

BC Racing BR-series coilovers - a review

I think I'm the first (or one of the first) on the club to try out BC Racing coilovers, so I thought I would post some of my thoughts and experiences with them.

While I was researching suspension options on NASIOC, I came across a lengthy review thread of BC Racing coilovers. I did a lot of reading, and they were getting great reviews. Since I did not want to spend the money lowering on stock-like KYB GR-2's, and Konis + Group-N top hats were out of my budget, I emailed Import Image to get a price quote on the coilovers. They fit perfectly within the budget (I don't want to give the exact price because it was a special deal at the time and I don't know if the vendor wants me saying what it was... but give them a call and I'm sure they will make you a reasonable offer.)

Anyway, the coilovers arrived, and the fit and finish was excellent. The installation was uneventful - unbolt the old strut assembly, bolt the coilovers in. The fun part came to dialing in the settings. Height is fairly easy to adjust, but it takes a lot of time to get it exactly where you want it. I set my height to 14" from hub to center in the front and 13.75" in the rear. I would not go any lower because I value my car's handling; however, if you want to slam the car, they are capable of going extremely low. You can also keep the car near stock height if you wish. I did not bother to have them corner weighted.

The coilovers have front camber plates. When I got my alignment done, I had them only set the front to 1.5 degrees camber and 0 toe. The shop owner said that he could easily have gotten 2 degrees out of the plates - keep in mind that I have a wagon, so I lose camber with the design of the strut body. In the spring I may go back for more camber, but I need to drive the car more to decide.

As for the drive, the ride is stuff. There is no way of hiding that since the springs are 8k/6k. Right now I am running at 6/32 front and rear, with 1 being the softest. I've tried 10 and 8, and I found both combinations to get a bit bouncy of moderately rough roads. On smooth roads, 10 felt great and was very smooth. When I autox next weekend on very nice pavement, I will probably bump the rates up to 16-20. I may try a few clicks softer for daily driving, but I do not mind the current setting.

The upside of the stiff springs is virtually no body roll. Handling is very confident with these, and I'm looking forward to taking them autocrossing and (hopefully) on a road course by the end of the year.

Now for the downsides: These are not Ohlins. These are not Bilsteins. These are not Konis. They do not have as much droop as the high end coilovers, and as a result the ride is rougher. I've read articles about the downsides of the "cheap" coilovers, specifically inconsistent valving. I did not have the dampers dyno'd, and I'm sure they are not perfect. They do seem to ride and drive well, and I will post more once I have started autocrossing on them.

Mine have been relatively quiet, but I do get the occasional squeak over rough roads. I think that is my rear pillowball endlinks, though, and not the coilovers. Overall, I am fairly happy with my purchase, but do not try to kid yourself into thinking that these will be as quiet, comfortable, and maintenance free as a standard spring and strut combo.
    Last edited by Business810; 08-17-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fixed pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i've had these on my car for almost a month now...i pretty much love them...they were no different than my stishock/gf210 combo in terms of harshness and noise, but now i have the adjustabilty. hopefully i won't have problems with them in the future, but for now...they are GREAT!!!! haha.

^^^Cant wait to hear both your reviews on both street and track use and your settings!!

Right now my damping is still at 6 front/ 6 rear (out of 32, with 1 as full soft) and it's a relatively comfortable ride on the street. It's firm, but not killer. Keep in mind that I live in the middle of a city in the state that was rated as having the worst roads in the country last year, good old Pennsylvania.

The only problem with my current settings is that I'm a little tail happy, probably because I have a Cusco 22mm adjustable rear sway and the stock front sway. I'm going to try bumping the front damping up a few clicks to dial that out.

I'll be autocrossing at least one day this weekend, so expect more details then.

Just got back from my 1st autox on the new setup and I thought I'd post some feedback...

I started the day on 18f/16r. The drive was firm but smooth, body roll was significantly decreased, and it felt like a night and day difference from the stock setup. I did get a little tail-happy with these settings, so after two runs I bumped the front to 20. The car was more neutral and I dropped a few tenths.

For the afternoon I decided to try to bump the damping up. For my 4th and 5th runs I was at 24f/20r. I think I was nearing the point at which stiffer did not mean better given the surface I was on and I started to get a bit less traction as well as some unexpected wheel hop. My times went up a few tenths, but not a dramatic decrease.

For my final run I took it back to 20f/16r. I still need to fine tune a bit more, but this seemed to be the happiest setting for me as I posted my fastest time of the day.

Overall, they were a huge improvement in handling. I closed at least a second and a half on the class leader, and I know I'm leaving a lot of time on the course. I really need to work on becoming a better driver, but I am more than satisfied with the performance of the coilovers.

Also, for the street I've bumped my setting from 6f/6r to 8f/6r. There was little change in ride quality but the car is a bit more neutral now. I started to get a little tail happy in the rain the other day and thought this would solve the problem - and it did.

Hello Everyone..

4 year bump? lol sorry

I would like to hear more reviews from other people. Specifically '06/'07 WRX owners (if possible)

Thanks

-Jeff

It's been nearly two years sense Business810 signed on. You might want to send him an email or PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    It's been nearly two years sense Business810 signed on. You might want to send him an email or PM.
    Thanks for replying but it doesn't have to be the OP.. It can be other people.

Thanks

-Jeff

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Hello Everyone..

4 year bump? lol sorry

I would like to hear more reviews from other people. Specifically '06/'07 WRX owners (if possible)

Thanks

-Jeff
    Don't waste your time with BC crap.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Don't waste your time with BC crap.
    Then what setup should I go with... No matter what I will have to have them installed by someone.. :/

what are good coilovers to go with?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ACardiel11 View Post
    what are good coilovers to go with?
    In SoCal I would rather drive around on a nice soft couch. Our roads are terrible.

Any part with a TUV approval will at the very least be safe. KW come to mind. This isn't to say they ride well or you will like them; it is to say it's reasonable to expect that they won't kill you. I don't trust inexpensive, unproven components. Neither should you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

3 year bump. I've heard there have been major improvements to noise and adjustability on these.

The price is really good but is the quality that much better after years of being trash?

Daily driver only on a 14 hatch

I have been having these reccomended to me alot recently. theyre very much in my price range.... if they are not good, what would somebody recommend to get instead?
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyoplasm View Post
    3 year bump. I've heard there have been major improvements to noise and adjustability on these.

The price is really good but is the quality that much better after years of being trash?

Daily driver only on a 14 hatch
    LOL!!! 2 month BUMP on your 3 year bump!!!! LOL!!!

I recently ordered a set of these. The BR series Coilover kit for my 09 Sedan. They have come strongly recommended for my street only application. I may make it to the track some time...just to try...but not planning on it. The price range is good and the shop that recommended them have happy customers using these.

I have read good and bad. I got a good deal, but I hope they aren't a complete disaster. I opted out of the Swift Spring upgrade for now. Can always upgrade after if I am not happy.

I think for daily street use these will be a good coil. I don't care how harsh or stiff my car will get. I cant stand how it rides anyways. have hated the softness and roll since my first test drive. im hoping these coils will take me a step closer to stiff rally cart feel!!!!!
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)