Struts and Springs Auto X and Daily Driver - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

This is a discussion on Struts and Springs Auto X and Daily Driver within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; good to know, I've heard good things about them, though I've been very ipressed w/ the RE01R too ) brand ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good to know, I've heard good things about them, though I've been very ipressed w/ the RE01R too )

brand new- shown at SEMA, supposed to be released soon- I posted some limited info in Motorsports

the new Dunlop which wasn't elgible last year, will be this year- so three new offerings
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    I really need to get over to the Motorsports forum... I hardly do.. :-(

I've also heard really really good things about the RE01R I've been pressured by the fast street tire guys in my region to try them. Our Top SM driver uses them instead of R Comps and can still place 1st or a VERY close second depending on his day. But I also think that it has to do with the fact that he can drive...
    He once drove a Geo Metro in H Stock and was a faster than most people out there that day. I must say I was humbled.

Big Sky, maybe this should be moved to the motorsports area?

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Big Sky, maybe this should be moved to the motorsports area?
    Just continue the prep talk in one of the existing threads in there.

I think I have an STX prep thread in there. Mike has a "changes for '08 season" thread.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Thanks, found it!

Wow, I do too much forum surfing sometimes...

I've already picked out some things for the 2009 season (unless my konis gets screwed up again)

Swaybars!
    I started reading this thread, It sounds like I am in the lower end of the spring rate range for the fast guys.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1050075

But I'd like to keep it in semi Daily Driver status.

I still need to make this thread over here, but anywho, here are my thoughts on car setup. All of this is based on Vehicle Dynamics and weight transfer.

In vehicle dynamics you can control the following things:

1. Pitch
    2. Roll
    3. Yaw

Ultimately you control pitch and roll to effect the weight transfer to produce the desired yaw.

When tuning suspension you can control these components and the dynamics they control:

1. Swaybars - Only control Roll
    2. Springs - Control Pitch and Roll
    3. Dampers - Control rate of change in Pitch and Roll

This leads me to the following conclusions:

1. Since you can only control Pitch with springs, you need to tune your springs to effect changes in the way the car enters and exits corners.

ex. If your car nose dives into corners you need to add stiffer front springs, and if the rear end squats under acceleration add stiffer rear springs.

Stiff rear springs should be especially important as they will keep weight from transferring rearward during acceleration on corner exit. This will keep weight on the front end so the car doesn't understeer on exit.

2. Once you have your springs sorted you can then fine tune your roll stiffness with your swaybars. The stiffer springs you installed in step 1 will add roll stiffness to the car this may or may not be enough to complete your setup. You must now adjust your swaybars to achieve the desired amount of roll. The swaybars will influence the dynamics of the car IN a corner under steady-state conditions.

I would first start with the front end. Through trial and error, find the swaybar setting that provides the largest amount of front grip. Set it there and basically leave it alone! Next, go back to the rear end of the car and dial in rotation with swaybar stiffness. I very much use this to tune my car for different surfaces, courses, etc.

3. Final step! Tune the dampers to control the dynamics of the car in transitions.

You will very much need to adjust this based on conditions and course layout. This area from what I've seen has the most "rules of thumb" and "old racers tales" associated with it. This is the really where suspension tuning becomes a black art of sorts. I still have much to learn in this area. This is a very interesting read:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/th...hocktune1.html

I would still recommend that the driver experiments with dmaper settings and tunes the car to his/her liking.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

And that post was EXACTLY what I wanted to hear/read!
    So I guess I'll fine tune spring rates with what I have now then go to bars next season and fine tune them :-)

I cannot wait to get back to the car and start the 2008 Season!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah I saw those- purty nice about a $1000 off the new price
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Yeah, I am trying to think of a way to sell my konis, two sets of GC springs, Grp N rear tophats, and PDE plates...

But yeah... I looked on their website and I was reading around... they are now asking 3500 to 4000 for them...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213