Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Questions within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Are there two different adjustable rear sway bars made by whiteline. I was under the impression that the 20-24mm was ...

Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Questions

Are there two different adjustable rear sway bars made by whiteline. I was under the impression that the 20-24mm was the only one but I just saw one advertised as a 24mm heavy duty one that maxed at 26mm. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Also, is it necessary to get the upgraded heavy duty mounts? I will unless it is not worth the extra $80.

thanks
    -joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think there was a thread about the rear endlinks, try a search. Basically the concensus was that if you upgrade the bar, upgrading the endlinks will allow you to get the most out of the bar, and also will be less likely to break.

I've got the 20-24mm bar with whiteline endlinks. I'd probalby go with nicer endlinks if I wouldn't have gotten a deal.

tcc

I know all about the endlinks and I am planning on getting the kartboy solid ones. My post had nothing to do with the endlinks, what I am talking about it the heavy duty mounting kit that replaces the stock mounts. I was wondering if it was necessary or not.

-joe

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people don't with the 20 - 24mm Whiteline bar. Don't know about that big one though! A few people have had mounts break - not sure why - and then replaced them with the heavy duty ones.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    I know all about the endlinks and I am planning on getting the kartboy solid ones. My post had nothing to do with the endlinks, what I am talking about it the heavy duty mounting kit that replaces the stock mounts. I was wondering if it was necessary or not.

-joe
    I would do the mounts and endlinks at the same time to really optimize the adjustable rear bar...it isnt "necessary" but neither is upgrading anything else.. The stock mounts are rubbery..you wont get the maximum benefit of a stiffer/adjustable bar unless the mounts and endlinks are also more heavy duty.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I Support ClubWRX
    The bar comes with new bushings for the mounts (has to). Upgrading the mounts won't do anything except possibly be more reliable.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

The heavy duty endlinks will allow the sway bar to act more quickly, because it will not compress/deflect like the stock one. The end result will be that on the up side the car will feel more responsive, but on the down side overly quick or jerky steering inputs will tend to unsettle the chasis to a greater degree.

Later,
    Andy

Hi All,

As you are aware, OE Subaru plastic sway bar end links have relatively high compliance (flex) in both the plastic link and the rubber bush. Our heavy-duty rear end links (part# KLC19) are made from solid spring steel with a polyurethane bushing, giving much quicker responce from the sway bar. These work well with all sway bars, starting from 13mm (yeah I know, but that's what the very early models came with) all the way to our 26mm XRD sway bar.

Now to the original question of this post.
    We offer a large range of adjustable sway bar sizes for both GC8 and GD WRX's, starting from 20mm, through to 22mm, 24mm and all the way to a hybrid 26mm XRD version. Please check our catalogues or contact sales for more info/part#'s.
    The heavy-duty rear sway bar chassis mounts (part# KBR20_xx size) are considered not to be essential for swaybars up to 20mm. They are however recommended for swaybars from 20-22mm and strongly recommended for 24mm sway bars and bigger. Just to put it in perspective, we have seen 12,000km old OE mounts break with only 20mm OE sway bar!

Trust that this helps.

Regards,
    Wojtek.
    Whiteline Automotive

www.whiteline.com.au

I Support ClubWRX
    The authority has spoken!

Thanks Wojtek.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

anyone ever heard of the Perrin Rear Sway Bar Links??
    Do we need to change only the rear endlink or the front as well??
    Is it the whiteline better tha the Cusco?
    Also,,i have a Wagon,,will i need a different model?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    ThankS
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Perrin endlinks look nice, but haven't tried them.

If you are only changing the rear bar, just rear endlinks are fine.

To me, whiteline = cusco. I haven't really noticed any difference between them when looking. Finish might be a bit better on cusco, but functionality they're probably the same. Should be same for wagon vs. sedan.

tcc

I put a set of the Perrin endlinks and sway bar on last week .
    All I can say is wow what a difference.
    The fit and finish is second to none, the endlinks use a bearing rather than a bushing which keeps everything nice and tight, and the bar comes with new mounts to replace the flimsy OE ones.
    They cost a bit more, but I think it's worth the extra $$$.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by thechickencow
    Perrin endlinks look nice, but haven't tried them.

If you are only changing the rear bar, just rear endlinks are fine.

To me, whiteline = cusco. I haven't really noticed any difference between them when looking. Finish might be a bit better on cusco, but functionality they're probably the same. Should be same for wagon vs. sedan.

tcc
    The one difference between Cusco and Whiteline is that the Whiteline bar has an adjustment range from 20mm - 24mm in 1 mm increments, and I've been told that the Cusco bar only adjusts from 22mm to 24mm in .5mm increments. Like I said, "I've been told" so I'm not positive on the Cusco.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Originally posted by tuca33
    anyone ever heard of the Perrin Rear Sway Bar Links??
    Do we need to change only the rear endlink or the front as well??
    Is it the whiteline better tha the Cusco?
    Also,,i have a Wagon,,will i need a different model?
    I also drive a wagon, and this is what I've learned from my research on the subject...

There's been some debate over the Perrin End Links. The folks at Kartboy will tell you that they experimented with spherical bearings in their end links at one time, and found them to be short-lived...which is why they offer traditional bushings in their product. I guess it's up to you whether or not you want to pay the extra money and find out for yourself. Also, one non-debatable result of using the sperical bushings is that they provide a harsher ride than links that use an elastomer...like polyurethane...or some form of rubber bushing.

Front End Links: I've heard of several people that have removed their solid end links because of the excessive harshness in ride quality. I've also heard that they're great if you plan to auto-x. You must decide if you can live with additional harshness, or not. Personally, I wouldn't bother...

Whiteline vs. Cusco...is like Sti vs. aftermarket replicas. If you're not too caught up in "designer" labels, I don't think you'll notice the difference in quality. Both are good manufacturers. With one, you pay a little extra for the name. I'll let you figure out which vendor that is...

There is a wagon-specific sway bar from Whiteline. I don't know about Cusco, but I'd guess they offer the same. The sedan bar will fit, but it doesn't fit quite as well as the wagon-specific bar. I'm using a stock 20mm sedan sway bar on my wagon...with excellent results. Only paid $60 for it, too. In my research on sway bars for the wagon, I found many, many wagon owners who were satisfied with the stock sedan unit, which is why I went that route.

I hope this info hepls...

Richard

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.