03 WRX Wagon Spring and/or Strut Install - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX Wagon Spring and/or Strut Install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by rexinfx im having trouble taking off one of the 17mm bolts...i tried the other one in the ...

Quote Originally Posted by rexinfx
    im having trouble taking off one of the 17mm bolts...i tried the other one in the front and it comes off w ease...but i cant have one stock spring on one side and the performance on the other...the 17mm bolt wont come off and wen i try taking it out...the spring moves in the strut in that direction...i tried holding the spring and breaking the nut free...but it wudnt budge...wut wud u guys recommend to do
    the 17mm top hat or strut bolt is easy to loosen IF the strut is still on the car!!!! so put it back on the car, tighten the three top bolts to secure the strut, and then use your socket to loosen it. (more leverage this way) so use pb blaster or liquid wrench on everything.

that should do the trick.

and yes, you really need the allen wrench in there to keep the strut rod from moving. you shouldn't be twisting that strut rod anyways (if I'm not mistaken) for that particular problem I used a 17mm impact socket that had a hole on one side so I could stick a small screw driver through the hole and then turn the socket while keeping the allen wrench in the strut rod to keep it from moving.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 07-28-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i used an impact to tighten em too...my friend whose got a mustang said that he has heard that its bad for them. Not sure if thats in generall or limited to his car but either way i only would do it if i wasnt too worried about the shocks
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

yea i figured an impact wrench wud do the trick...cuz this bolt isnt gonna b loosend even if i was hercules

Sorry to revive this, but did you use ALL wagon specific springs and shocks and parts? I can't find any higher rate wagon springs other than the $1200 pinks kit.

Great write-up. I put my new struts in under 2 hours it was cake.

is it possible to get the rear springs upside down? the look the same to me either way.

Thumbs up A huge Thanks to You

I just wanted to thank you for making the job of a Strut and Spring change much easier. Thank you for taking the time. By the way the the job is way easier if you have a impact gun Get one.

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
    I just wanted to thank you for making the job of a Strut and Spring change much easier. Thank you for taking the time. By the way the the job is way easier if you have a impact gun Get one.
    i totally agree,, this thread have been very helpful for many...

I used another write up I found on the forum , but had I used this one it would have saved me the hassle of re-installing the strut to break the top 17. You also need to remember to keep this bolt loose on the reassembly if you did not mark the orientationof the top pillow mount to the strut(like me), so that you can turn it till it fits. This is only for the back. The front need to be as described in the diagrams. The two 19 nuts are difficult to reach so I loosed the bolt end instead of the nut end if that makes sense. The torque specs I used as quoted elsewhere on the forum are 100n.m for the 17 and 200n.m for the 19's. I used 25n.m for the 12's.

This thread was great, thanks.

To add my own tip for rear strut installation:
    To determine the [approximately] correct orientation of the top mount in case you forgot to mark it, you can use a little piece of paper. The 3 12mm bolt holes are slightly asymmetric, and so only fit on the top mount in one orientation. If you've got a sedan, you should be able to use the metal cap that was over the rear strut towers.
    1) Take a sheet of paper, place over the bolt holes
    2) Use a screwdriver to punch 3 holes where the bolts used to go through
    3) Put an arrow on the paper to point forward
    4) Place the paper on top of the strut assembly until the punched-through bolt holes match the bolts on the strut top hat.

Sedans: the 12mm bolts for the rear seat padding are in the footwell. Remove those, lift the ass-padding, then there'll be 4 to undo for the back padding. The back padding sits vertically on 3 hooks, so you need to lift it up to get it out.

Sedans: It is easier to access the 3x12mm bolts if you remove the seatbelt spool so that it's a bit more mobile. It's just one 14mm bolt, and it makes accessing the 12mm bolts much easier. Don't forget to reattach it before you put the seats back in!

Sedans/Wagons: One of my struts had a very tight fit on the lower strut mount (the one with the 2 19mm bolts). I had to use a prybar to widen its mount slightly before it would go all the way on.

I also found it easier to turn the bolt heads rather than the nuts for the 19mm bolts. Penetrating oil and a breaker bar is key.
    Last edited by ArtH; 10-25-2010 at 06:28 AM.

good write up. i found this doing a google search. thanks for posting this. the pics sure helped too.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I have been waiting to have some friends help me with this but I think I'll be waiting forever if I wait for them. So, I am tackling this on my 03 wagon on Wed.

Tokico D-Spec shocks
    Swift (wagon specific) springs
    Group N tophats

While I'm at it I'm going to install my whiteline 24mm front and rear sways, Kartboy F&R endlinks and whiteline heavy duty sway mounts

Glad that I have these instructions as a reference.

Is an alignment needed after struts are changed?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar
    Is an alignment needed after struts are changed?
    Yes

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Great write up! Shocks and springs next week on a 02 sedan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.