04+ brake duct setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 04+ brake duct setup within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; If your tracking your car on oe brakes (or oe size brakes) then IMO it's a must do. There is ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If your tracking your car on oe brakes (or oe size brakes) then IMO it's a must do. There is just too much heat in the front rotors (understandable w/ a 3000 lb car). Even w/ a BBK it's probably worthwhile, w/o one I definitely think you want some additional air in there.

I put my car through a pretty demanding two day track event in September and think the ducts made a significant contribution to my good braking
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

then I'd definitely do it. -- i suppose now is the perfect time to do it since I got my beater car and race season is almost over.

yeah, I still have the OE calipers but i've been using bobcats and carbotech slotted rotors - the bobcats aren't suitable for track days at all! I was so disappointed the first time I did a track day - after about 12 or 13 laps, I've lost quite a bit of pressure and brakes got too hot already. I had to do some cool down laps before it started biting again.

I'm more disappointed that 2500s or (3000s for that matter) brake pads aren't available for 03-04s

one more thing, what brake fluid are you using now?

I still have the ATE blue, and it seemed to have lost its worth. Maybe I just need to bleed the brakes more often?

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree it's too bad on the Ferodo's not being available- I blame Subaru not Ferodo. Takes quite a bit to tool up the correct plates- if North America is the only market for them (and especially now that Subaru has finally decided to go w/ the 4/2 pots), probably tough to justify.

I run Motul, but the ATE should be fine. I really like the idea behind ATE's two color fluid. I bleed before and after every track event- and do a full flush every spring- might be overkill, but the brakes do get a workout at the track.

I started running dedicated track pads and it's been really nice- a big jump up in bite and no concern on fading at all. Carbotech makes several track "only" pads that would be worth looking into- just run the Bobcats for daily driving.

ah! i see. crazy SOAs!

I might try the Motul and see how the do with my driving style. I shopped around (lowes and home depot) for the parts for the brake duct, but can't seem to locate them little adapters.

Do you think I can use them stretchable aluminum duct for the piping? wrap it with duct tape?

the ones you noted from racerpart is too expensive

I Support ClubWRX
    Anything that can mounted in there w/o falling out and directing air towards the brakes will work. I think they make some tin (aluminum?) stove flashing in 3" that would work for the actual duct (would have to be trimmed etc- and then any 3" tubing behind should work.

I searched on lowes website and i found this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...page=none&bc=c

Filter fabric sock
    For perforated drainage pipe
    100% knitted polyester with seamless sleve
    Stops sand and sediment from clogging drain pipes
    Eliminates need for gravel back fill

For $4 - I think i'll try that one and them fittings you mentioned. I'll let you know.

thanks dude!

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like it should work If you go that route (or a differrent route) post some pics up- the more options for folks the better.

will do!

Here's the bare bones cheapest route I have found yet.

Cheap brake ducts

Anyone have ever tried to mount front brake duct with Prova brake deflectors ?
    Together could work better and give better cooling!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12