WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

This is a discussion on WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Thanks for this write-up, Im doing this LCA swap on my 03 sedan this weekend, I assume everything is the ...

Thanks for this write-up, Im doing this LCA swap on my 03 sedan this weekend, I assume everything is the same as with the wagons as far as procedure. Ive done the rest of my swap myself, ej207, all 4 hubs, brakes, driveshaft, 6 speed, rear diff, axles, etx... basically the works. This is the last part for my OEM Subaru parts to swap out. The only question I have is regarding the end links, and in reading, seems like I found my answer, but just want to confirm. Will I be able to use the existing 03 WRX sedan end links with JDM v7 LCAs? Ive found most of the parts to be like legos, even the unexpected ones, and not needing to replace things with other years' to fit properly. Maybe it's been luck, but everything has gone very smoothly so far, and hopefully will continue to do so... Living in Cali, I have had no issues with rust, sorry fellas, and my front hubs can be pulled from the ball joints by hand with some force... New member here as of today, so thanks for the advice and future help all... Will be posting proper pics and updating info soon. Just joined more or less to get some info before the weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup- your endlinks will be identical to the ones that were used w/ the v7 aluminum arms

Welcome aboard!
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Thanks again for the info, I didnt get to the job today due to other issues, none with the car, more with lack of energy. Gonna shoot for next weekend instead. Will be doing an oil change for the first round on the swap, so far so god with everything else, now to get rid of some old parts... EJ205 with 6speed and drivetrain anyone...? For you, special price...

It has taken me years to get a set of arms cheap and actually install them. Now I have a slight problem. I posted on NASIOC, but I figured I could cross post here as it is actually the thread for this stuff. I just quoted the post from there.

Ok so there was a recall on our control arms. I figured I would put aluminum on there as it will not rust. To do so I found I needed a sedan swaybar and endlinks.

I followed the thread by bigsky (club wrx ).

Parts:
    03 wagon with
    GC8 control arms
    Whiteline 22mm adjustable swaybar BSF33Z
    Whiteline adjustable endlinks KLC139

I was not sure what angle to have the sway bar exactly so what I did was found that the sedan links were supposed to be 65mm long and I made the adjustable links that long. Then I installed everything.

It seemed ok at gentle use, but turning through a bunch of potholes at speed and going up a 3inch lip with wheels totally cocked to the stops both resulted in a clunk sound. I think the swaybar may be hitting the control arm, but there was no marks on anything yet (only two clunks).

Do I need to rotate the swaybar farther up and lengthen the links? Is the 65mm hole to hole or is it total length (in which case I probably need to shorten). Anyway I would appreciate any advice as I would like to get it buttoned up. Perhaps it is a function of the two holes in the swaybar which requires a different length link.

Full disclosure I also put on new CV axles at the same time as I already had a bad boot and had everything taken off. However I do not think it is the cv axles.

I Support ClubWRX
    the links pretty good to me, should be close to straight under load

I would recheck the torque on the links (it's got to be the number one reason for a front end-or rear end clunk)

also check the sway bar itself, sometimes it wants to slide one way or the other, insure it hasn't if it has reorientate and retighten

Thanks man, it took me a bit b/c I usually ride my bike and my wife also drove over something in it and bent the brake shield into the rotor, but once I fixed that and tightened the links (which were loose) it seems to have fixed it. Perhaps the paint wore off sway bar and that made it looser since it was brand new. I need to get it aligned soonish. I wanted to change the rear lateral links as well for some adjustable ones as one of the wheels is out of camber from bashing it, but after all the rusty fun up front and what I have read I think I may just wait a bit on that (like maybe forever ). New arms, new swaybar, new links, new CV axles I call it a success.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^good deal, don't wait too long on the alignment

Hi Big Sky, just been having a good read of this from here in the UK

I have a question which you may be just the guy to help with. Basically, I have bought a set of alloy STI front arms, from a 2003 STI, so non widetrack. My car is a 2003 Wagon. I've seen the comments on how the arms will affect the track etc.

Two things, 1. I don't really want the front wider than the rear. Can you even things up with any particular mods to the rear? 2. I have a set of Sedan STI shocks to go on the car. I know that these already reduce the camber available. What might be the effects of installing these plus the GD alloy arms I have? Would you advise me not to do this for any reason?

It's a road car, used daily. I want to make improvements but I don't want to screw the geo up so badly that it's not possible to get it right again. I'm also running STI wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    the wider front track won't hurt anything (actually has some positive effects on handling), can't widen the rear track w/o replacing axles and not worth it regardless imo

the STi struts will reduce neg camber available up front, however the arms gain neg camber- just a pure guess, but would think the effect with both will be roughly stock camber available

Worth a try then? I'm expecting to need camber bolts at the rear with this setup.

I Support ClubWRX
    the rear STi struts will also take some neg camber out, that could be desirable from a handling perspective.

I'd have camber bolts handy, but let them see what the camber is w/o them- if it's below -0.5 I'd use the bolts, if it's higher I'd leave it, dialing out a little rear neg camber makes for a more neutral handling car

Will do, thanks for your help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.