WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Oh no. Is that a dealer only thing? Maybe Autozone/Advance will have it? Thanks again, Your awesome....

Oh no. Is that a dealer only thing? Maybe Autozone/Advance will have it? Thanks again, Your awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm guessing dealer and I'm guessing they'll have to order it- I've been wrong before though
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Thanks for all Your help.

I have been tackling this this week in the driveway, so far it has not been too bad. I have coil overs on, the steering rack is out to be upgraded to an 05STi rack (Just waiting on new hard lines to install now) and I also got some 06STi control arms and ALK.

As for the BJ's, I used a ratchet strap to compress the suspension (lifting the control arm up) and then beat the BJ out. It worked ok on the first side, I will let you know if it works on the other side! Right now I am struggling to get the rear control arm mount lined up and bolted in. This thread has helped out a little as I am not too far off anything you did, so I think a little perseverance should do it!
    http://www.missouri.edu/~smithrg/rich/wrx/sig.jpg
    Rich...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    should be mentioned in the write-up, but hardened washers did the trick for me (one on each side of the bushing)- lucked out and they were the exact thickness
    What were the specs on the washers you used?

I Support ClubWRX
    sorry don't have the specs, I lucked out and found them at Ace Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    sorry don't have the specs, I lucked out and found them at Ace Hardware
    Well i ask because obviously the gap is on both sides of the bushing so i was wondering if one was wider than the other.....i guess my fear is that the arm doesn't sit how it was intended to sit it will mess with the aliment of the car. Unfortunately i had to drive my car with the gap to get it home because i wasn't told about needed the washers prior to install and well yeah.....hoping i didn't mess anything up......car makes a "creaking" sound when i go over large bumps and around corners.....i am assume this is because of the gap?.....hoping? haha also....why yes i am a noob at this...

I Support ClubWRX
    yup- good chance it's the gap

the gap is the same on both sides, search the thread- seems like maybe someone asked some time ago (this is a pretty old thread) and I might have had an answer

start w/ the known inside diameter and then go to a hardware store and see if they don't have some different thickness to try- you want hardened washers for this application- w/ the correct washers it's a very snug fit

Ok cool, thanks for info....one more question though will STi front endlinks work? or does it have to be WRX? I have an 02 wagon and the endlinks are from a 06 STi.

I Support ClubWRX
    sedan links are the sam so you're good to go

from another of my threads, discussing the thickness needed for the washers

So you want aluminum control arms on your wagon (or GC8 for that matter)

Ok sorry me again......so running into problems with end links still.......here is exactly what i have gone threw. Put on the GC8 arms and got them to fit correctly with washers, swapped out the front end links for 06 STi sedan links.....the STi ones broke on me......the STi ones had pivoting ball joints on them at either (sorry don't know exactly what to call them)...So here are my questions.....

A: Do i need to swap out the sways for sedan sways? I have a 06 STi front sway sitting in my garage i can try
    B: Does the type of end link make a difference
    C: When you put them on your wagon did you use the stock sway with the WRX sedan end links? (kinda ties into A)
    D: Which wagon did you put these on?

Car info: 02 WRX wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    yup you need a sedan front bar, visit my old project wagon thread- I'm 99% sure I chronicle my experience w/ sway bars and links

start here

Project wagon begins!

I ended up using adj length links (Poltec) to optimize geometry

my wagon was a 04 which should be identical to yours suspension wise

So am i going to have to buy higher end, end links? Since it looks like you broke those stockers......though that was with a wagon sway right?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd try oe sedan links first (should be able to find them pretty cheap used), if it looks like additional length would be helpful then look into adj links

correct, broke the link on w/ the wagon sway bar

Ok cool i'm gonna try the stock ones and see if they work, i'll get back to you. Also maybe it's on there and i just didn't see it you might wanna update the thread and add the bit about need a sedan sway.....haha not hating just saying it would be helpful to have in the original list of things you need since i went threw 2 pairs of end links before i found out. =\