WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Wagon Aluminum control arm install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; w/ a full STi drivetrain swap- yes you'd want the sedan arms...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    w/ a full STi drivetrain swap- yes you'd want the sedan arms
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gotcha...thanks a bunch.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

I have a 2002 WRX wagon. I've heard that a good way to recover the camber lost by getting aftermarket suspension (D-specs in this case) while simultaneously getting more caster is to get the 04-06 USDM STi Al control arms. I'm also thinking that I'll do the ALK/PSRS at the same time. In reality, I'm planning on doing it ALL at the same time (struts, springs, tophats, control arms and ALK, maybe RCA too). Am I going to run into any problems?

You (Big Sky) mentioned something about problems using the sedan control arms on the wagon. What (if anything else) will I need to replace so that I can do this swap. Increased caster excites me.

I Support ClubWRX
    hi- you'll need a sedan sway bar and sedan style sway links

a few guys (minority) have swapped out front axles as well- appears it's not necessary (from what I've read) but obviously couldn't hurt

This is really helpful - thank you! Do you have a solution for the smaller bushing size of the GC arm in the GD crossmember? I have a '03 crossmember in my '95 and noticed that the front inner bushings on the JDM GC STi control arms I have are about 6mm smaller. I was told from Subaru I cannot get the stock '04 bushings seperately. Someone suggested Group N bushings which would be great if that works.

I Support ClubWRX
    should be mentioned in the write-up, but hardened washers did the trick for me (one on each side of the bushing)- lucked out and they were the exact thickness

All I can say is wow! This thread is very informative.

I just picked up used GC STI Alum CAs for around $180 from Montreal. They recently pulled off the STI and presumably work and/or work well, but I want to freshen up the arms.

What parts on the arm should I focus on? I saw the schematics, but I'd like to hear it from some pros.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I will be attempting this on Thursday.

So far I have installed:

STi pink trailing arms (pillowballs)
    Replaced rear knuckle bushings with poly
    STi triple pillowball aluminum lateral links
    Unabomber's sexy rear end (outrigger bushings, subframe lock down bolts, rear differential mount bushings)
    Hotchkis sways
    Kartboy front and rear endlinks
    Cobb adjustable rear sway bar mounts
    TIC transmission cross member bushings
    TIC fender cowl braces
    TIC supershifter
    Genuine STi rear strut bar
    Love/Hate relationship with spec c titanium and cusco titanium front strut bar (i.e. Spearco)
    Kartboy engine pitch mount
    Cusco engine and tranny mounts
    Cusco type 2 lower arm bar
    Cusco front frame brace
    Whiteline steering rack bushings

I just got finished pressing out the stock rubber bushings on a set of 2006 STi front control arms. We got screwed out of the Spec C arms that came on the 04-06 STi, which explains the 100" wheelbase of the 04-06 vs 99" for our 2007s. I also have a Whiteline anti lift kit race version (has black bushings and silver mounting brackets) and the appropriate energy suspension bushing kit to replace the before mentioned rubber bushings in the control arms.

Pulling a Frankenstein in reviving your thread. I performed this swap this past weekend along with a few other under car things. This helped a tremendous amount so thank you Big Sky, both here and other forums, you're a beacon of info in the night of clueleseness.

My biggest challenge, driving an 02 WRX in Canada was rusted hardware. Most of my weekend was spent struggling with getting everything apart. Snapped one subframe bolt, and broke two weld nuts.. I was not replacing it anyway cause it is rusted to pieces, along with my control arms.. I should take pics to show you. almost worthy of a safety recall I'd say. I could put my fingers through the arms at certain points.. the front mounts particularly.

Pinch bolts on both knuckles.. PB blasted to no avail and both snapped. So panic ensues. I ended up drilling them out and breaking 6 or more bits in the process. Another learning experience. Air Hammered the pinch apart a bit too. replaced with strongest hardware I could find at the time.. I will likely call around for some stronger bits before my test drive. the BJ's did come out using your whack a mole technique though, 5-10 good whacks on the old arm with a small 5LB mallet took care of business. I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 184 LBS so, I yanked my breaker bar with all strength I could muster hoping it is enough to appease Subaru gods. I'll ask they be torqued properly when going for alignment at later date. Threw on Ebay H brace while under there too.

I did use Prothane bushings for both front and rear mounts which required no spacers/washers for either mount. NVH to be seen when struts and springs are upgraded later in the upcoming week(s). I've not played with the end links, but am pretty certain my wagon spec GROUP-A aluminum w/urethane bushings will be a problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    that sucks on the rust! we're fortunate here (Montana) w/ no salt- of course the flip side is our roads can be treacherous in the winter

you are not the first person (or last) that have broken the pinch bolts (long thread on nasioc)- someone even came up a w/ a special tool to help replace the Subaru ball joints (think it is now sold on TIC's site)

sounds like you have a worthy project going

Hello big sky, I just read this whole thread. New to Subi's. I have an 02 wagon the spindles and lower arms and struts are junk, will these STi arms work with stock WRX spindles? Jdm Impreza STI Version 7 & 8 Front Lower Control Arms | eBay This is the ebay link. This is a daily driver not a racer. Any help is appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    yup those will fit- they are sedan arms so you'll get an increased track up front (over wagon length arms), that will give you more neg camber to work w/ and the wider track up front dials some understeer.

lots of wagon guys have gone to sedan length front arms

you will need need sedan end links and a sedan front sway bar as well

Hello Big Sky, hopefully Your around today, putting the sti arms in My 02 wagon. Everything seemed to be going fine except that the balljoint studs are sitting too low. They stick out the bottom of the arm too much, did I miss something, should there be something a cup or spacer or something in the lower arm? Thanks in advance, John

Couple of quick photos, the balljoint seems too small
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0405.jpg   DSCF0404.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    yup- your missing the "cone", part # 20216fa000