So you want aluminum control arms on your wagon (or GC8 for that matter)

This is a discussion on So you want aluminum control arms on your wagon (or GC8 for that matter) within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; It took me awhile to assemble part#'s and thought I'd share them so if anyone else contemplates they have them ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

So you want aluminum control arms on your wagon (or GC8 for that matter)

It took me awhile to assemble part#'s and thought I'd share them so if anyone else contemplates they have them at their finger tips.

A couple of "heads up". The GC8 (older style WRX) aluminum control arms fit the WRX wagon w/ a few minor differences. First the front sway links- I originally ordered the GC8 front sway links (pillowball type), but found they were too long. I ordered the new (GD) WRX sedan ones (pillowball type) and they fit just right.

The other difference I discovered was the front bushings (already pressed in when you buy the GC arms) are 55mm wide, the oem ones on the wagon are 61mm- when putting the front bushing portion of the arm in I noticed slack in the bracket in the cross member. I found thick steel washers that took up the slack on each end.

You can get all of these parts from your dealer, the cheapest way to pick up a set though is to find takeoffs from Japan (where they had GC WRX's).

There are several parts you can reuse if you choose to- balljoints (you do need the "sleeve" that is shown in the diagram however, as well as a washer that goes between the castle nut and the aluminum arm), the rubber spacers around the rear bushing, the rear bushings themselves- however I'd reccomend the Grp N ones- if your going thru the trouble to replace arms, you want better bushings (those are the part#'s I list for those).

I'll be writing up a tutorial on aluminum control arm install (would apply to wagon or sedan) this evening if I get a chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontsuspension.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pic of the arm and bits

Question

Which oem usdm ball joint will fit the gc8 alloy controll on a gc8 coupe?

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX or STi (and very possibly any Impreza)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Do you know the torque specs for the bolts that hold the black piece(20217FA101) to the arm? Or know where I could find that information? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I found them in your install tutorial.
    Last edited by hejjafish; 10-20-2009 at 11:53 AM.

will replacement wagon bushings fit in the GC control arms? Thinking of getting Energy bushings to replace the old ones because I am looking to pick up a used set of LCA's.
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    your talking the front bushings correct? I'm 99% sure the ID is the same on the arms GD<->GC, they just differ in overall length

I will tell you that removing the oe front bushings is not an overly easy task, metal on metal bushings are a bit of a pita

Thanks for the quick response Big Sky! Yes I am talking about the front or inner bushings. Kinda figured that they wouldn't come out easy. Pretty sure any replacement bushings are going to have to be pressed out. Just trying to prepare myself if the control arms show up with some worn out old bushings that need to be replaced. In that case just wanted to know if I need to use the washer method you suggested or if the wagon replacements will fit into the GC control arm. So far I have the endlinks that I will need and ordering the Boss or Cone adapters. Hopefully i can reuse the ball joints if they cooperate.
    Last edited by rtstone; 03-29-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    no problem- normally they require the full removal of the bushing, I guess it's possible they have a bushing that if your burned out the rubber portion of the oe one w/ a torch, it could be used- would be interesting to see their install notes if that's the case

this bushing is usually pretty firm and as it's also pretty small it doesn't see the play that a lot of other bushings might

put a long bolt through it and give it a little pry back & forth, should reveal if it's worn or not

will the perrin alk for a sti work with the gc8 arms on a 07 wrx wagon?

I Support ClubWRX
    the rear bushing (the ALK is just a "fancy" rear bushing) should all be universal- I put a STi Grp N bushing on mine, but a Whiteline or Perrin would have fit as well

Have to say, this thread and your other install sticky have saved me lots of searching. I have all my parts ready to go and will likely try this weekend to get this done.. concerned about the ball joints being stuck. Have a pickle fork that should help and a 6 lb hand sledge. I did try to extract the old bushings by torching the inside rod.. it eventually almost slips out on it's own.. but the outter metal sleeve would not budge. To a local shop to press out. They thought I was crazy not bringing in new bushings to be pressed in too. Any clue on the washer sizes required for the front mounts?? I'd like to have all bases covered instead of running out to the hardware store last minute.

I bought prothane bushings (front and back!) part # 16-201 and they fit like a charm, pushed in by hand with grease and finally set with a vice. The prothane come with a new HUGE washer that replaces an OE rear washer that seems to have a larger inner diameter.. No need for the 4 rubber end caps either from what I see with these bushings.

One last concern I have is if my wagon spec aluminum/polyurethane endlinks will bolt right up. I can see OE arm has a nice nook it fits snugly in, whereas STI V5 arms I have simply have a single tab. I'll be just throwing another washer on the end and cross my fingers.

Again, great writeup. Gives shade-tree DIY guys like me the confidence to give it a go.
    Last edited by Erad99; 08-31-2011 at 01:32 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    glad it helped

don't remember the id off hand (but large enough for the bolt to go through ), the need to be 3mm thick (one on each end) to make up for the 6mm gap- the ones I found (pure luck) were absolutely perfect

I went w/ sedan style endlinks (spherical on both ends)- it's in my project wagon thread, went through a few iterations before getting it right