If I were a mod, I would make this a sticky.
This is a discussion on Spring install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Here is a coil spring install for a WRX (and most other cars)- I am doing this purley off of ...
Here is a coil spring install for a WRX (and most other cars)- I am doing this purley off of memory so some things may be incorrect. Make sure you understand how to do everything before diving in.
*DISCLAIMER* I am not responisble for damage to anyones car as result of this!!!!
Basic metric sockets (10mm12mm14mm17mm19mm21mm22mm) 3/8 &1/2 drive
Basic Metric wrenches
Ratchets, Breaker bar / cheater pipe
allen wrench (that will fit on top of strut)
Macpherson STrut compressor (rent at local tool store or purhase)
Wrenchin Buddy (dont recomend this tried alone)
1. Start with jacking up the car accordingly
2. Remove front wheels
3. Break loose 2 bolts holding botttom of struts to spindle
4. remove brackets holding brake line, abs sensor
5. remove 3 bolts holding upper strut mount in car.
6. Do one side at a time! remove assy. from car
7. Mark a line on upper mount, coil, and strut so you know where to align
8. Use strut compressor on spring to compress it. MOST DANGEROUS STEP BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
9. when spring can move independent from strut, Remove upper nut using wrench and allen
10. SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY uncompress spring
11. Recompress new spring
12. make sure to align new compressed spring to strut and upper mount
13. Reinstall upper nut using wrench and allen tighten ALL THE WAY
14. reinistall assy in car
15. GET AN ALIGNMENT!!!! If your camber is really screwed up, hurry to an alignment shop or adjust using bolts on bottom of strut
16. Have a blast and get an alignment!!!