Noltec (MRT) camber/caster plates
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noltec (MRT) camber/caster plates within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; These paltes replace your strut tops allowing ~ 1.5 additional degrees of positive caster and ~ 1.0 additional degrees of ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Noltec (MRT) camber/caster plates

These paltes replace your strut tops allowing ~ 1.5 additional degrees of positive caster and ~ 1.0 additional degrees of camber (over what you are able to obtain w/ the oe eccentric bolts).

First you need to remove the struts- you need to unbolt the two bottom strut bolts (19mm), before you do mark the top one- this is the eccentric bolt. On the bolt side there are hash marks on the bolt and an alignment mark on the strut- scribe the bolt to get you back to where you were (even though you will be getting an alignment). There are the brake line and speed sensor which also needs removed form the strut- 12mm. On top there are three 12 mm nuts holding the strut to the firewall- remove these. Gently remove the strut.
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 06-15-2003 at 08:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    pic of strut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails strut.jpeg  

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to have the tops orientated correctly or you won't get the full caster adj (unles you prefer more camber change).

Plates will be orientated like this w/ Noltec towards the inside of the vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails orientation.jpeg  

I Support ClubWRX
    The small brass washer goes on top:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails topwasher.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    The large brass washer goes into the bottom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottomwash.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Next whatever top your currently using needs to be removed. You will need spring compressors to do this- cheap or you can even rent them. Compress the spring and then remove the top nut (17mm)- you'll alos need a 6mm allen wrench to prevent the top fropm spinning- if your using air it will usually come off w/o the allen wrench. You will not reutilize the domed shape washer- not needed- I think this is where many experience an additional 1/8" in ride height in the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oewasher.jpeg  

I Support ClubWRX
    With the old top off you can install the Noltec plate (properly orientated), also make sure that the three holes on the upper spring perch are orientated facing out, w/ the middle hole centered on the strut.

Partially tighten top nut w/ 17mm wrench, and 6mm allen, undo spring compressors, finish tightening top nut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mounted.jpeg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Reinstall strut (again paying attention to top orientation), reinstall bottm bolts, brake line, speed sensor, the top nuts are now 13mm- torque to 18.5 ft lbs, bottom bolts are: 129 ft lbs!, top nut is 41 lbs.

Get an alignment as you want cross caster and camber values zero, also increasing camber has chnaged your toe setting.

Installed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails intstalled.jpg  

Good writeup, but mine don't have the markings. Guess I'll have to eyeball it. I'll definitely have to print it out before installing them.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead...

Big Sky, I will be installing these next week with my springs, but I'm not clear about what happens when everything is on car and I want to adjust the caster/camber. Is just the middle bolt loosened? Or do you loosen the outer three, or both??? I've been thinking about this while I'm out of town for X-mas.

Sorry for the noob questions...

I Support ClubWRX
    The middle (big) nut secures the top to the strut- that one stays put. The three outer ones "sandwich" the top of the strut, by loosening these you can then move the top of the strut any direction- like a joy stick.

I think you'll find to move it though the car will have to be up in the air (ie tires off the ground).

What I would reccoemend is have them pre-set for maximum neg camber and positive caster- pushed all the way in and all the way back.

Then when you get your alignment you (the "tech") can fine tune the camber w/ the oe eccentric bolts, if your cross caster is off (a couple of tenths is fine) then you can have them lift the front and loosen one side to make the adjustment.

Mike

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Back from the dead!

Hey BigSky, do you recall how much these camber plates raised your ride height in the front?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Back from the dead!

Hey BigSky, do you recall how much these camber plates raised your ride height in the front?
    ballpark ~ 6-8mm
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Awesome, thanks
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.