4-Pot front brake kit install

This is a discussion on 4-Pot front brake kit install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Installed: 4-piston calipurs and pads OE 06+ WRX, OE brake rotors, SS braided brake lines, ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake ...

4-Pot front brake kit install

Installed: 4-piston calipurs and pads OE 06+ WRX, OE brake rotors, SS braided brake lines, ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid

On What: 2004 WRX Sedan

Important notes: I had no knowledge of this prior to the install, but the brake calipurs, when installed, rub on the inside of the spokes of the stock 16" wheels. If you plan on doing this install on stock wheels, do yourself a favor and buy some wheels spacers before you start this. There's your fair warning.

Tools:

1/2 drive socket wrench
    3/8 drive socket wrench
    12mm socket
    14mm socket
    19mm deep socket
    17mm box wrench
    8mm box wrench
    small crescent wrench
    dead blow hammer
    needle nose pliers
    vice grips

Installation:

1. Remove wheels with 19mm deep socket and set them aside.

2. Take your 12mm socket and 3/8 drive wrench and bust the brake line bolt off.

3. Take your 14mm socket and 3/8 drive socket wrench and remove the 2 bolts holding the stock calipur to the calipur bracket. Remove calipur and pads.

4. Next, remove the 2 17mm bolts that hold the calipur bracket to the spindle. I used the box wrench cuz i couldn't get in there w/ a socket. Remove bracket, you won't need it cuz the new one's are 1 piece.

5. Take your 12mm socket and remove the bolt that holds the brake line on to the strut. Next, take the crescent wrench and vice grips. Clamp the vice grips on the rubber hose clamp where the OE brake line attaches to the solid line. Take the crescent wrench and break the fitting loose and remove the rubber crap line and toss aside. The fitting was really tight on mine so you'll have to torque on it good. Thus the reason for the vice grips.

6. Install the end of the SS brake line to the solid OE end. Tighten it good. The following pic illustrates how it should look at this point.

Assembly:

7. Here's the tricky part, the new calipur assembly. It took me some time to figure it out cuz there was only a decent diagram and some stuff was left out. Here's all the parts.

8. Take your grease packet and lube up the backs of the pads and the side of the inside of the calipur.

9. Put the shims on the back of the pad. One vented shim per pad and one angled one. The tall part of the angled shim should be forward facing when installed on the car. Since the calipur sits at the back of the brake assembly, we will call it up. There's 2 little retainers there too that should go on the back (bottom) side of the pads. It should look like this.

The left pad in that picture is the inside one, the right is the outside. I should have placed them the other way but oh well.

10. Stick the pads in the calipur. Put the outside one in first because the pad pins go in from that side. Next put the inside pad in and take your spring retainer and put it through the 2 holes in the end of the pins. Then take the bent part of this retainer in the middle and put it through the hole in the calipur. Take your cross spring and clip in under one of the pins then clip it to the other to hold the pads in place. The finished product will look like so.

You're ready to put it on the car.

11. Put the rotor on the hub.

12. Install the assembled calipur on the rotor and bolt it down using the OE bolts that you removed from the OE calipur bracket. Torque them down good, i don't know a spec on it but i'd have to say around 120 ft/lbs.

13. Next take your brake line end and install it using the bolt provided w/ the SS brake line kit. Use one copper washer on either side of the fitting to seal the fluid in. Bolt it down to about 70 ft/lbs. Take your OE 12mm bolt that secures the brake line to the strut and bolt it down.

14. You're ready to bleed. Your fluid's probably pretty low by now so go up and top it off. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and pump the brakes 3 times and on the 3rd time hold the pedal down. When the pedal is being held down take your 8mm box wrench and turn the valve at the back of the calipur. Catch the fluid w/ a coke bottle or something. Do this repeatedly until it bleeds the color of the fluid you're using. Mine was blue obviously. Make sure you're listening to it also. If you hear air bubbles coming out, keep going until there are none. Most importantly, don't let your fluid get too low. Every 2-3 cycles of pedal pump and valve loosening, go up and top it off. If you let it get too low, you're basically starting at square 1 cuz you're introducing more air into the lines. Do this for the other side and once you have that good, go back over the the side you started on and do that 2 more times then do the other side 2 more times for good measure.

15. This is where you'll put your wheel spacers on if you're on stock rims. Slap those puppies on and put your rims back on and go for a drive. I had to use 1/8" spacers.

I'm spent... peace out.
    Last edited by powder; 08-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great write up, I am going to use this this weekend to do my stage 2 set up.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Awesome! Any pics with the wheels on?
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice job!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    Awesome! Any pics with the wheels on?
    When the weather gets nicer i'll take some. It's rained since i got it done late last night.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Nice job!
    Thanks!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

"Caliper" .......

I'm loving the new setup though.........

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, could you PM me what this entire setup cost you????
    Last edited by Robman7835; 03-19-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

I know this is way late, but where did you get your calipers from?

The King of Parts.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06