H-Tech Spring Install
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on H-Tech Spring Install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Installed: Tein H-Techs On what: 2004 WRX Sedan Tools: TQ wrench 1/2 drive socket wrench 1/2 drive long breaker bar ...

H-Tech Spring Install

Installed: Tein H-Techs

On what: 2004 WRX Sedan

Tools:

TQ wrench
    1/2 drive socket wrench
    1/2 drive long breaker bar
    a few extensions
    12mm deep socket
    14mm socket
    17mm deep socket
    19mm deep socket
    19mm box wrench + another similar size wrench (for leverage)
    small pry bar (for moving struts around to get the bolts aligned correctly)
    dead blow hammer (for punching the bolts out once the nuts are off)
    medium length phillips head screw driver (i'll tell ya what it's for)
    2 jack stands
    jack
    compressor (if ya got one it makes it 10x faster)

important note: I did not use a spring compressor for this. IMO you don't need one. The only thing you can screw up if you follow my instructions and rip your axle boot cuz you weren't carefull when you released the lower strut bolts. I am not responsible for this as i have given you fair warning that you need to watch out for it. I also did not cut my bump stops.

Install: front

1. first off, i'd start w/ the fronts. If you're not using an air compressor, loosen your lug nuts slightly before you jack it up. Jack up the front end of the car and stick the jack stands under neath each side behind the front wheels. I jacked each side up individually and set the stand right behind the front wheels.

2. Use a 19mm (stock lug nut size) to remove lug nuts and set wheels off to the side.

3. Remove 12mm bolts that hold the sensor wire and brake line in.

4. Start on the passenger side (not for any specific reason) and put the jack under the spindle and jack it up into the perch a little ways. Take your 17mm deep socket and loosen/remove the top strut nut. Let the jack back down slowly to let the spring tension out. There is no need to remove the upper strut mounts unless you're replacing them w/ aftermarket, so leave them in.

5. Take your 19mm socket and loosen/remove the lower strut nuts from the spindle. If you take a piece of cardboard and stick it under the strut (between the bottom of the strut and the boot on your axle) it will be less likely to do anything to the boot. Then take your dead blow and phillips head screw driver and punch the bolts out.

6. I would highly recommend keeping a hand on the top cap and watching where the little washer go when you do this. Jerk the strut around till it goes off the spindle and toward the front so you can pull it out. I used the little craftsman pry bar i have and put it under the strut and jacked it up off the axle (DO NOT USE THE BOOT AREA!!) then toggled it around til i could remove it. There is very little tension left in the springs but there is still some. Not enough to hurt anything.

7. Once removed, you will notice on the top cap that there are 3 holes that act somewhat as an arrow. If you also pay attention to the wear on the rubber pieces you can tell which way the stock springs oriented w/ the cap and strut. The bottom leg of the spring is unmistakable where it goes on the strut perch. On my car, the 3 "arrow holes" pointed just to the rear of directly out the side of the car.

8. Reinstall. Put the strut up in the car w/ the spring, cap and washer then align one of the holes w/ the spindle holes and put the phillips head screw driver in there to keep it there. Use this screw driver to put the camber bolt in the top hole by prying the holes in line. Then remove the screw driver and put the lower bolt in and put the nuts on each bolt.

9. Take your jack again, and jack up the same place, right under the spindle until you have enough threads to get the top 17mm nut on and start tightening it. Air makes this easy. I tq'd to 100 nM. Tighten your lower nuts and tq to 200 nM.

Do next side.

Install: rear

1. Remove wheels w/ 19mm.

2. I had to spray the lower bolts and nuts w/ pb blaster later on so do this now to avoid having to wait for it to work.

3. Remove seat, lower cushion first. 2x 12mm bolts under front side of seat. Pull seat out. Upper portion has 4x 12mm bolts then it should pull stright up out of the hooks that hold it in.

4. Put jack under control arm and jack strut assmebly up so there is tension on the spring.

5. Remove 3x 12mm bolts from upper strut mount and 1x 17mm from top of strut shaft. I took the seat belt off for more room to work also. It's a 14mm bolt.

6. Let jack down slowly to remove spring tension.

7. These 2 lower bolts were the biggest pain. Get your 19mm box wrench and mate it w/, lets say a 3/4" wrench like so:

Stick it under the car on one of the nuts (don't matter which) and then push it down w/ your foot to break that f***er loose. After that it's cake. This strut has room to stretch out w/o any worries.

8. The big radius goes out on the 3 bolt mount. Simple. Reinstall assembly the same way you did the fronts. Stick the screw driver in there and pry up/down/around to get the first bolt in then you're good to go. Jack the strut up again to put tension on the upper perch then put your 12mm nuts back on and your 17mm nut back on the strut shaft. Tighten to the same 100nM and then tighten the lower nuts to the same 200nM. don't tighten the 12mm nuts too much. The mount's plastic!!!

9. Reinstall seat and wheels and go for a test drive.
    Last edited by powder; 03-17-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice write up! I like how you did it without a spring compressor, and just with a jack. I just did my h-tech's, but I have a lift, spring comp, and air tools.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    Nice write up! I like how you did it without a spring compressor, and just with a jack. I just did my h-tech's, but I have a lift, spring comp, and air tools.
    Bragger!

Oh and don't get me wrong, i decided not to use a spring compressor, not cuz i didn't have one but because i can't stand the things.
    Last edited by powder; 03-17-2007 at 06:32 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Got Pics???

Mine: (has settled a bit more since the install, this was taken right after)

More pics in my other thread, and a ton more to come by tue!
    Last edited by blackzwrx; 03-17-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

I'll be takin pics as soon as i get a chance to wash it. Washington hates me so it started raining 10 mins before i finished the rears. I still got $850 in brake parts to install so i was kinda pissed.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I'll be takin pics as soon as i get a chance to wash it. Washington hates me so it started raining 10 mins before i finished the rears. I still got $850 in brake parts to install so i was kinda pissed.
    What kind of parts do you have? I am going to be getting 06+ft calipers and SS lines real soon. Then the rears and rotors shortly after that. I am glad that the front uses the same rotors, since I just bought new ones about 7,000mi ago

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    What kind of parts do you have? I am going to be getting 06+ft calipers and SS lines real soon. Then the rears and rotors shortly after that. I am glad that the front uses the same rotors, since I just bought new ones about 7,000mi ago
    You seem to be going in the same direction i am for modding. I have the 06 4-pots and ss brake lines to install. I'll be doing a write up for them too.

I tried some reverse psychology on the rain just now by washing my car to see if it would stop raining... it didn't work, but i got pics. lmao

You can't really see the fender gap but oh well.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Matt, thanks a bunch for doing this writeup. I'll be using it tomorrow when I toss in my H-Techs. Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you?
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckTheBruce View Post
    Matt, thanks a bunch for doing this writeup. I'll be using it tomorrow when I toss in my H-Techs. Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you?
    Total time was right around 3 hrs because of waiting for the pb blaster. It should be a 2 hr job if you go straight through. I didn't really read anything in depth cuz i'd done it on 2 other cars prior to the WRX so i knew what i needed to do basically. It's just the little things like spring travels and what's underneath them that i had to figure out at the time i was doing it. You got my # though. Don't be scared to call.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

great write up. This must be a sign, since i have been contemplating buying H techs recently. This settles it. As soon as I get some cash, I'm ordering and installing these springs.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #088
    2006 WRX Tr Stage 2

Step 10. Get an alignment!
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    Step 10. Get an alignment!
    +1!

H-techs ftw!
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

My Step-dad and I installed my H-techs today using these instructions. It went quite well, but we did use a spring compressor that I rented from the local Autozone. The compressor helps remove that little bit of tension that is still in the springs after lowering the bottle-jack like Matt's (Powder) instructions say. The spring compressor is a bit of a PITA to use, but IMO, it was worth the little bit of extra time to make the removal of the struts just that much easier.

Neither my Step-dad nor I have ever put lowering springs on a car before today, and after taking our sweet ol' time with the first strut (since we were n00bs with teh spring install) the others were cake. I think the process took us about 5 hours, and I would feel very confident doing it again using these instructions, and if I did end up doing it again, it would easily only take me two or three hours to do.

Thanks for the write-up, Powder!

I'll be posting a couple pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by SuckTheBruce; 03-18-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    My Step-dad and I installed my H-techs today using these instructions. It went quite well, but we did use a spring compressor that I rented from the local Autozone. The compressor helps remove that little bit of tension that is still in the springs after lowering the bottle-jack like Matt's (Powder) instructions say. The spring compressor is a bit of a PITA to use, but IMO, it was worth the little bit of extra time to make the removal of the struts just that much easier.

Neither my Step-dad nor I have ever put lowering springs on a car before today, and after taking our sweet ol' time with the first strut (since we were n00bs with teh spring install) the others were cake. I think the process took us about 5 hours, and I would feel very confident doing it again using these instructions.

Yay! You're no longer a fendAr fistAr!
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Neither my Step-dad nor I have ever put lowering springs on a car before today, and after taking our sweet ol' time with the first strut (since we were n00bs with teh spring install) the others were cake. I think the process took us about 5 hours, and I would feel very confident doing it again using these instructions, and if I did end up doing it again, it would easily only take me two or three hours to do.

Sweet dude, glad i could help. Can't wait to see the pics!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.