Creating brake cooling ducts for the 2014 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Creating brake cooling ducts for the 2014 WRX within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi everyone, This thread will show the steps I took to create functional air vents in the "foglight delete" panels ...

Creating brake cooling ducts for the 2014 WRX

Hi everyone,

This thread will show the steps I took to create functional air vents in the "foglight delete" panels on my 2014 WRX hatch. The objective is to channel this airflow into the wheel wells and improve the brake cooling. The starting point of the job was obtaining some appropriate mesh to replace the molded plastic closed mesh. Here's what I found:

This is expanded aluminum mesh, powder coated. I is a good match for the OEM pattern. Next, the installation of the mesh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My ultimate goal is create a duct that moves air like this example on a JDM Acura.

Inside the wheel well, the duct should look and function like this:

The first task is to open up these closed vents. I used a spare set of delete panel so that if this turned out badly, I could go back to stock. Here is the first nasty carving done with a dremel. Pretty hard going, but not too hard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quite a while later, the plastic mesh was all cut away, and it had turned out well.

From the inside:

And compared to the other side:

Now to do it again!

I'm following. Kinda curious to see how this turns out, and if it causes the fenders to act like giant parachutes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

And the mesh is glued in place using RTV silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    I'm following. Kinda curious to see how this turns out, and if it causes the fenders to act like giant parachutes.

I know what you mean. Just allowing a big volume of air to enter the fenders isn't going to accomplish much of anything. The air must flow through to the wheel wells. Much more work to be done

Now that an opening for airflow has been created, a duct to direct the airflow is next. I have the tools and equipment necessary to vac form plastic sheet, so I will use this method to make a duct. First up, make a pattern or form that is the shape I want. The plastic is heated and pulled down over this form to make a hollow plastic part.

The pattern:

The pattern is wood. The shape is pretty close to what I think will work. We shall see.

Here's a test fitting of a panel. You can see some plastic behind the mesh that will need to be trimmed in order to fit a proper duct.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cool!
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

voidin warranty since 05 unseen's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yo biling, where did you find a mesh with wide openings like that? and why did you opt for aluminum and not abs?
    stinkeye member #976

2014 wrx hatch build

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...een-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    yo biling, where did you find a mesh with wide openings like that? and why did you opt for aluminum and not abs?
    Search "diamond mesh" on EBay and you'll find lots of options. I chose aluminum because it seemed to match the OEM grill very closely, but ABS would have good too.

I purchased some high temperature air hose and couplings from an outfit called Spectre Performance.

Here's a photo of the wooded pattern inserted into the hose. The hose is 3" diameter and should move plenty of air. You'll notice that I have somewhat refined the shape of the pattern for the duct.

So here is a vac formed duct:

Pretty simple, came out looking just as expected. Now for some trimming and shaping so it fits into the recess in the bumper.

That turned out nice, what material is it? A lot of the vacuum form stuff I see with a ridge like that tend to crease.

All? NO ALL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.