Steering rack bushings

This is a discussion on Steering rack bushings within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Just out of curiosity...has anyone upgraded their steering rack bushings? I like a very solid and responsive wheel, and I ...

Steering rack bushings

Just out of curiosity...has anyone upgraded their steering rack bushings? I like a very solid and responsive wheel, and I was thinking about the whilteline kit. Has anyone done this, and if so, was it easy to do and did you notice a significant difference after install?
    It's sad that in this day in age a family can be torn apart by something as small as a pack of wild dogs.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What car?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2012 WRX
    It's sad that in this day in age a family can be torn apart by something as small as a pack of wild dogs.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

Ive done it. Worth the money, Not too difficult to install either.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Would you say it's something that can be done with basic hand tools and jack stands by someone with limited experience working on cars but who is very good at following directions?

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

Definitely, I did mine in a parking lot. Install is simple, unbolt the subframe brace, unbolt steering rack brace, unbolt steering linkage, drop the front sway bar to give you more room and follow whitelines instructions from there. took me about an hour or so.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Cool, thanks for the info. Anything else you would recommend doing or changing while installing the bushings? I was thinking the Cusco steering rack brace...looks like many people do them together. I know I can do that install, since everything will be pretty much out of the way to put the bushings on anyway. Looking for any suggestions you might have...I gotta admit...noob when it comes to tweeking cars.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

Since your already down there go for it, your basically replacing the stock one. I opted out of it since im holding off to do all of my suspension bracing at once.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have the Whiteline steering rack bushings installed, I like them.

So It's been done now for about 2 weeks. Noticeable change...not huge, but definitely noticeable. That slushy dead zone in the center is gone, and the steering is smooth and crisp. Worth the money...easy install.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon