whiteline rear strut brace (02 wagon) install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on whiteline rear strut brace (02 wagon) install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; hey guys, I got a little scratch together and bought myself a whiteline rear strut brace for my wagon. Looks ...

whiteline rear strut brace (02 wagon) install

hey guys,

I got a little scratch together and bought myself a whiteline rear strut brace for my wagon.

Looks a little sparse in there.

So I tossed it on today, and whilst I was doing it I decided to put together this little write up.

(please forgive the lousy quality of my photographs. I do not own any camera other than the one on my phone)

Hope it's up to my usual beginner standards.

So like always here's what you need to get the job done:

From left to right:

Whiteline rear strut tower brace, rarazor knife flat head screw driver, alan T-handels (optional), and tasty beverage of your choice.

You will also need one of these:

Ratchet with 12MM socket and optional 14MM socket.

Start by, prying off the little caps over the rear strut towers, with the flat head screwdriver.

underneath the cap there will be a piece of sound proofing.

Looks like this:

Under the sound proofing you'll see a flying saucer lookin' like cap, secured by three nuts.

these nuts will need to come off. Use your trusty 12MM socket and remove them.

You don't need to pull the cap off the strut tower, and it should be left in place once the brace is installed.

I found that the mounting plates are easier to install, when you take them off the bracer bar.

Pulling the bolts off should be easy, they SHOULD be hand tight, and if they're not, like mine were, this is where the optional 14MM socket and the alan keys come into play. You'll need an 8MM alan key by the way.

Moving on...with the mounting plates in place, grab the razor knife and eyeball the cuts below the mounting tabs.

the cuts only need to be low enough that the mounting ring rests naturally on top of the flying saucer plate thingy.

Don't cut off too much material, because if you take the time to make cuts that are precise, then it's possible to replace your sound proofing plus the cover plates.

don't bolt down the mounting rings, because you'll need to move them around in order to install the supplied quick release bolts.

after you've done that, just wash, rinse, repeat on the other side of the car.

Once the plates are ready, then install the quick release bolts on to the bar. (it's real simple, if you really need help with this, PM me)

With the rings on the ends of the bar, all you need to do is adjust the two threaded ends of the bar to the correct length so that the plates will mount correctly.

And with a little bit of elbow grease you'll have the bar installed.

take the patches of sound insulation and the cover caps, and re-install them both.

and boom, newly installed rear tower brace.

looks pretty sweet.

P.S.

Whiteline supplied four of these little yellow caps.

there wasn't any listed use for them in the instructions so i'm guessing they're used to cover up all the various sharp bits on the mounting rings and the bar itself, when it's taken apart so you can put the seats down.

Hope you enjoyed another play by play of something amateur from yours truly.

peace.
    Last edited by Tinywagon; 09-22-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.