How to remove hub assembly on 02 WRX

This is a discussion on How to remove hub assembly on 02 WRX within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Spent a couple of hours removing front hub assembly today since suspension was making typical grinding noise associated with blown ...

How to remove hub assembly on 02 WRX

Spent a couple of hours removing front hub assembly today since suspension was making typical grinding noise associated with blown wheel bearing.

Car: 2002 WRX sedan
    Hub assembly replaced on: front passenger side
    Location where car was driven: NY with a lot of salt
    Mileage: 91k miles

Warning: before you get started, make sure you have these tools in handy if your car has a lot of miles (new 23mm axle nut not shown). Also, make sure both front wheels are off the ground otherwise it would be nearly impossible to put strut back on.

Rented one from autozone

Step 1:
    Jack up the car and remove the wheel.

Remove brake caliper by loosening two 17mm bolts & remove brake dust cover by removing 3 12mm bolts. Place the caliper gently on anything that it can sit on.

Step 2:
    Time to remove tie rod ball joint
    Remove cotter pin:

Loosen 19mm bolt

12mm bolt (ABS sensor)

Remove 2 19mm bolts on strut (top one has a washer)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Remove axle nut (23mm) --> in your case, it would be easier to remove the axle nut with wheel still on.

Step 3 (remove tie-rod ball joint)
    Tools need: ball joint removal tool
    Be extra careful when using removal tool as I ended up tearing the boot (as you can see in the picture, ball joint was completely rusted/fused into knuckle). Replacement ball joint cost $45 from Autozone.

Step 4:
    Time to separate hub assembly from transverse link assembly
    Notice how boot is all damaged?
    Since I have a spare hub assembly from 05 WRX with low miles, I really didn't care. If you plan to reuse your hub assembly (90% of the case), DO NOT use ball joint separator, instead use arm puller as shown here. It will work much better than ball joint separator!

You will save hours of frustration using this method, especially if your car has high mileage and was driven in the east coast.

In fact, I wasn't able to separate them using ball joint separator, so I had to go to autozone to rent an arm puller (spent 2 hours figuring out this method).

Step 5:
    Out (02 WRX hub assembly with 91k miles) --> had noticeable amount of play!!!

In (05 WRX hub assembly with low miles)
    Last edited by WRXreX; 08-30-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Step 6:
    Time to put everything back together (in your case, take the hub assembly to the shop and have them press in new wheel bearing).

19mm bolt with new cotter pin

New axle nut (23mm, $3.50 from dealer)

19mm bolt with new cotter pin

Not pictured:
    12mm bolt by ABS sensor & 2 19mm bolts on strut

Optional:

here is how to remove tie rod ball joint if you damaged boot while separating ball joint from hub assembly. Make sure to get a wheel alignment afterward even if you have counted number of treads as a precautionary measure.

DUB
    That's a good write up, thanks for your contribution.

But why do you keep saying 'in your case'? What is my case, what's that mean?

That's because:

1. I have impact wrench
    2. Hub assembly with relatively new wheel bearing

In your case (many folks), you will need to have new wheel bearing pressed into the hub assembly. Without using impact wrench, you won't be able to easily remove axle nut without something keeping it from turning. In addition, many 19mm bolts are very difficult to loosen without using breaker bar.

So do you have to buy the bearings and hub assembly separate or does the hub assembly come with bearings already pressed in it?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you're buying the entire knuckle/hub assembly (I don't think they sell them complete like that), you're going to need to buy a wheel bearing and the associated seals separate of the hub, these will all be pressed into the knuckle together.

I would recommend Subaru genuine seals BTW. Buy whatever bearing you want (they're mostly made by the same people), but buy the genuine seals. Other brands don't fit as well, and anything with off fitment will just ensure you'll be doing this again much sooner than you would have wanted.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!