help disassembling coilovers

This is a discussion on help disassembling coilovers within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Ok, here's the deal. I have an old set of DMS 40mm coilovers with Cusco camber plates on them. I ...

help disassembling coilovers

Ok, here's the deal. I have an old set of DMS 40mm coilovers with Cusco camber plates on them. I want to take the camber plates off so I can put them on my spec C takeoffs. I'm having trouble getting the top nut off, the shaft just spins. There's no allen hole in the top. Short of air tools, any tips that might help breaking that badboy loose? Tried sticking the upper collar in a vice to hold it still, but it's too wide I don't care if the coilovers get destroyed in the process, they're going straight to the trash afterward.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pretty much any impact should do it, if you're stuck and still need help try bringing them to a shop and have them pop them off for you.

I'd stay away from using anything on the shafts normally, but since you're throwing them away try vice grips possibly.

Jay

stick a vise grip on the shaft and two peices of rubber for grip and use a socket to remove it. it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    stick a vise grip on the shaft and two peices of rubber for grip and use a socket to remove it. it worked for me
    That's what eventually worked for me, only we used electrical tape instead of rubber. It was still somewhat of a *****, probably because of the age and wear on the coilovers.