Coilover install on 2002 sedan
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Coilover install on 2002 sedan within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Ok im getting a set of Apex racing series coilovers and i wanna know how to install them. ive read ...

Coilover install on 2002 sedan

Ok im getting a set of Apex racing series coilovers and i wanna know how to install them. ive read all the past install posts but they are for a wagon. i dont know how to take my rear seats out so im a lil skeptical about that. Just let me know if anyone has a write up. Otherwise i guess ill make a good one when i do mine.
    Pete
    2002 black wrx BuGeYe
    Smokey the bear "Protect our friends damn it"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

samething minus the rear strut bar

http://www.oakos.com/wrx/installs/RSTB/index.htm
    New England F4
    Syms Racing Team
    13.3 @ 101.43

A few install notes:

An impact wrench is a very nice thing to have when breaking the lower strut bolts, they're torqued on tighter than you could imagine. If you don't have access to an impact, a 3 foot breaker bar/cheater bar combo should work. Use a 12pt 19mm impact socket so you don't strip the bolt head/break the socket. If things get really stubborn (I had trouble w/the lower pass side rear), heat the nut with a benz-o-matic torch for a few seconds and it'll reluctantly come off.

Conversely, be very gentle with the strut top (camber plate) bolts. These guys are only torqued to 12 ft/lbs and if you are too eager, you'll shear them clean off. Use a torque wrench and get it right the first time.

be sure to jack up BOTH sides of the car at the same time and do the install Front and Rear, not side to side. Remove both stock struts first before re-installing the coilovers. If you do not do it this way, the OE strut can shred the CV boot and it can be extremely difficult to align the new struts.

If your rear dampening adjustment is located on the top of the strut, leave off the metal covers in the rear so you can access the adjusments without having to unbolt the strut.

Get your ride height and aligment set professionally as soon as possible after installation. Use a good shop that has corner-balancing scales and has done race-alignments before; it makes a 100% difference in how your new coilovers will perform. (you could have the best in the world, but setup wrong they could perform worse than stock!)

Finally, take your time, and bring beer for when you need fuel to operate the breaker bar.
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.