Front trailing link bushing install

This is a discussion on Front trailing link bushing install within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This outlines the front trailing link bushing install ie the STi Group N ones. This pertains to the front only- ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Front trailing link bushing install

This outlines the front trailing link bushing install ie the STi Group N ones. This pertains to the front only- the rear actual resides in the knuckle and I'll post a seperate tutorial on those.

First these are metal lined bushings, housed in a metal link- it takes tremendous force to get them out/in. You'll want a minimum of a 20 ton press IMO. You'll also want the approaite "special tool" or a reasonable facsimile of.

The trailing arm is only attached by two bolts (17mm), but can be tricky to remove (the front- as there is not much room and little room for air tools). I've got a little "trick" to ease it out.

First remove the three (12mm) bolts that attach the parking cable and ABS cable- pay attention on how everything is assembled- or leave one side untouched to refer to. Loosen the rear nut- you can get air to the bolt side. Next give the front bolt a go- if it won't come remove the entire bracket- just three bolts (also 17mm) and accessible to air. With the bracket (and front of trailing link) removed, remove the rear bolt and the arm is out.

Pic of the rear of the trailing arm and one of the front (you can see the rearward two bolts of the bracket (there is one forward as well).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailingrearview.jpg   trailingfrontview.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With the arm out your ready to press the old bushing out. The "special tool" consists of three pieces- a receiver piece that holds the front of the arm and allows the bushing a place to go when pressed out, a plunger that is machined to match the bushing to press out/in and a small bolt like piece that keeps the everything centered.

Pics of the special tool, the bushing being pressed out, the front trailing sans bushing, a comparo of the oe to Grp N bushing- no noticable difference visibly (except the paint dab) easy to tell the difference by feel- the Grp N is much firmer.

Pressing the bushing out may startle you as they are in tight- the first pop I thought I had been shot , never got to used to the popping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fronttrailing1.jpg   fronttrailing2.jpg   fronttrailing3.jpg   fronttrailing4.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    With the old bushing out, wipe the inside of the link out and then spray w/ a silicone spray inside the link and and on the metal sleeve of the bushing. With the silicone and everything squared up good, the install is "pop" free. Press slowly until the outer sleeve matches up w/ the trailing link edge.

There is an orientation that has to be followed- there are two voids on the bushing- these must be orientated paralell w/ the trailing links.

Pic of voids/orientation, pics of "special too" in press in mode, pics of press in action
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fronttrailingvoids.jpg   fronttrailinginexpl.jpg   fronttrailingpressin.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Install is reverse, torque specs are three mounting bolts- 74 ft lbs, front bolt 85 ft lbs, rear bolt 66 ft lbs. Ofcourse w/ the trailing link would be the opportune time to replace the rear bushing in the knuckle as well - more to follow on it.

What are the benifits of doing this mod exactly?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by prspect06
    What are the benifits of doing this mod exactly?
    Basically the same as all suspension bushing upgrades- less defelction over oe bushings- translating into less camber/toe changes (especially cornering) which results in better traction

I Support ClubWRX
    Big Sky strikes again with yet another great post!

As always, very informative! What's the price for the bushing and a part # for those interested?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    The bushings (front and rear) are about $30 for the pair, so ~ $60 for front/rear.

Front bushings are ST2022044000, rear are ST2022044010

I'm possibly considering renting the front and rear install tools out- need to give it some thought.

Mike