Subaru WRX Forum banner

Time to change timing belt on 02 wrx

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  MidKnight 
#1 ·
Should I get it done right away? or is it safe to put it off??

#2 ·
How many miles are on the car? That is probably most important to know.

I am not sure if the Subaru Boxer engine is designed with "0" clearance like Honda engines. If it is, then it is very important, cause when the belt breaks, the values fall and are crushed by the pistons :eek3:

It is kind of the only way to kill a Honda engine. :p

Any thoughts from anyone else???

#3 ·
The car has 105,000 miles :) It's a toss up, do timing belt or get up/down pipe for $600. :D Been saving for 6 months. :tongue:

#7 ·
Do the belt. Subie engines DO have interferance heads and WILL bend valve and or punch holes in pistons if the belt breaks. Timing belts should be taken seriously. If service calls for 105k and you drive the least bit hard do it sooner. Services are for normal drivers who tend to not beat the car.

Mike

#8 ·
Thanks for the nudges in the right direction. :) I'm makeing an apointment for replaceing belt today. :D Up&down pipes will have to wait. :unhappy:

#10 ·
i got a quote for $150 in LA area at a good mechanic

thinking to also upgrade the belt.

#13 ·
the way i see it when it comes to timing belts i would just go OE that would be your best bet that way if it fails 9 times out of 10 if you put up enough of a fight the dealer will replace it for you. at least nissan does.

#14 ·
1968OldsMan said:
the way i see it when it comes to timing belts i would just go OE that would be your best bet that way if it fails 9 times out of 10 if you put up enough of a fight the dealer will replace it for you. at least nissan does.
I've never heard of a dealer replacing a timing belt for free unless it was defective, because it's considered a wear item.

#15 ·
lol they going to replace my munched engine as well. if it breaks. :screwy:

I think I will try a stronger belt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.