Subaru WRX Forum banner

Pics: SubieGal Single Pod with Omori 60mm Electronic Boost Gauge

8K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeff_DML 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got the pod earlier this week, and the gauge arrived from Gruppe-S Saturday morning. A busy weekend schedule prevented installation, and I have to cobble together a 1/4 - 1/4 - 1/8 T-fitting before I cut the hose.

But I thought I'd post some photos for those who haven't seen this combination yet. I'll post more as I do the install. Click the link for several photos, and click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

http://www.morrisgarage.com/wrx/pod

See less See more
#4 ·
Pod is from SubieGal.com

Pretty expensive for what it is, and it took ten months to arrive... She has more now, but if she is out of stock, don't get your hopes up. I do like the way it looks, though. Good location.

The gauge is from Gruppe-S.com

Eli, for some reason, the IMG tags are turned off again in the forum....:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Randman: Did you find the pods on SubieGal's site? Ludecrous had the correct link above. Jamie is a clubWRX.net member, but she isn't on here a lot.

Ludecrous: Thanks for pointing the link out. I was at work, so can't get online. As for the install, it is just sitting there for the photo. I didn't have time over the weekend.

I made a T-fitting today at work. I took a T with three 1/4" barbed legs, and screwed a threaded 1/8" barbed fitting inside one leg. If this doesn't work, I have a spare 1/4" brass T-fitting, and I'll cut the 1/8" leg off of the Omori fitting and epoxy it inside one leg.

As to how I wired it? I haven't yet. Probably tie into the fusebox somewhere.

Ryan: Nope, didn't have it at the last meet. Just got the parts this last week.

Glad y'all like it! I'll add photos as I make progress.

#17 ·
Omori P-94 Tee Fitting

Okay, here's the latest photo. This just came today. I'll add it to the above link when I get some more photos.

Front right is the T-fitting that comes with the Omori gauge. It is too small for the OEM tubing, which is 6mm (1/4") ID

Back right is a T-fitting I made, using a 1/4" fitting, and screwing and sealing in a 1/8" fitting. Didn't get around to trying it, as it has been cold and raining the past couple of days.

Front left is the Omori P-94 T-fitting, which is the optional fitting for the Omori gauges for 6mm ID tubing. It was $7 from J-Spec Tuning, including shipping, and well worth cost. This is a much better component than the plastic fitting that comes with the gauge! Thanks, J-Spec!

#18 ·
Got things installed today. Not too bad of a job. I took out the dash vent piece along the windscreen to feed the wires through, and did the anti-rattle mod while I was in there. Big difference in fit!

I ended up connecting the hot and light wires to the stereo and ilumination fuses, and drilled a hole in the dash frame to add a ground screw. I did some filing on Jamie's pod to get it to fit the dash a little better, and used some flexible bathtub sealant to stick it to the dash and A-pillar. Got a little to clean up after it dries. I just shoved the gauge in the pod for now until I make sure all is OK. Then I'll attach it a little more securely.

Here's a night shot of it installed. Probably too dark, but you get the idea...

#19 ·
Steve - looks great.
I also purchased a pod from Subiegal - just waiting on delivery :)
Hope you can help me out with a couple of questions....

- How do you remove the windscreen dash vent piece?
- Where did you mount your data collector electronics? - in the area near the clock perhaps?

If you have a pic of the windscreen dash vent off that would be awesome.

Thanks - lude

#20 ·
Windscreen dash vent: Start lifting at the far right, and pop the snaps out, straight up. There's a thread on www.scoobymods.com about fixing the VIN tag rattle (it isn't really the rattle, it is the little clips for the vent cover.) that shows how to remove it.

Sending unit: I mounted mine up next to the firewall above the power steering unit. I zip-tied it to a wiring bundle, then secured it with electrical tape. I ran the wire through the grommet above the pedals, down under the carpet and over to the left and back up next to the fuse box. I hooked the white lamp wire up to the "ilumination" fuse, and the red power wire to the "radio/stereo" fuse. Be sure to connect on the fused side of the connection (top.) I tinned the wires, and put them in the fuse holder, and simply pressed the fuse in after it.

What gauge are you getting? If Omori, be sure to order the P-94 fitting from J-Spec. It is worth the $7!

I filed the back and bottom of the pod to fit more snug along the dash. I attached it to the dash and A-pillar with white bathtub sealant, but would have rather used a darker flexible adhesive. I have some white showing that I need to clean up.

If I can answer any questions, or take any photos for you, just drop me an email or PM me. Or post here, of course.

#21 ·
I have a Greddy Gauge, I think I will mount it inside the car somewhere coz it looks too sensitive / prone to dirt to mount in the engine bay area.

I was thinking of wiring through the center firewall grommet that comes out near the clock in the center of the dash.. then tapping into the four power wires to the clock and some how running a single cable across to the guage via the windscreen dash vent. Doe this sound plausible ?

For the Tee fitting I have made a custom job from home depot, from brass connects, looks super durable.

I have not been able to connet to scoobymods.com so any adivce you can give me regarding the dash vent area is appriciated.

#22 ·
Well, ScoobyMods is up, but slower than molasses in winter. Here's the direct link, but most of the pictures timed out on me...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1205

Take a screwdriver wrapped in a rag, and carefully wedge it between the vent and the dash at the far right side of your dash. It helps if you push down on th dash, as it is a bit flexible.

Once you can get a finger under it, just lift straight up until the first clip pops out. slide your hand to the left popping clips out as you go. The last one binds a bunch, so be careful to pull it straight up.

While you have it out, follow the directions on tightening the clips up, 'cause that's what's rattling. I removed the clips, used craft store tacky glue on the tops of the posts, and after several hours drying time, put the clips back on. No more rattles!

Installation is reverse of removal. I ended up with a larger gap on theleft, because the sender wires are in an encased bundle. The gap is under the pod, so you won't see it.

By the way, I sent Subie Gal the link to the pod photos, and told her you were ordering. She said she had more, but not many 60mm. hope you got/get yours! (without waithing ten months.)

Here's a couple more photos. Don't know why your sender would be sensitive to underhood placement.

#26 ·
smorris : Clean install, nice work.
In my prior post I intended to say I was mounting the Greddy electronics in the cabin not in the engine bay. Yes the sender will be in the engine bay.

BTW : For anyone out there looking to use a SubieGal pod.The pod needs a bit of modifying to fit a 60mm Greddy Guage.

From your pics I cannot work out where you routed the sender wires, but I think you should not see a larger gap on the left of the defroster cover, because you can run the wires up in the space which leads to the A pillar cover.

Due to having a several fat power audio wires running under the drivers pedal grommet, My planned install path is: electrical from sender goes into cabin behind intercooler, electronic gauge control unit is mounted below the clock and unit picks up power, illumination etc, from clock wires. Then wire from electronic gauge control goes under the HVAC system and across to the drivers side of the car, where the wire runs up the area near the A pillar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.