Subaru WRX Forum banner

Max hp on stock internals?

28K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  BrianH 
#1 ·
Has there been a common stop point from the tuners and what is it. Also note if its at the wheels or not.

FF

#4 ·
Flat_four said:
Well I Really need to know will our engine handle a stg4 with a pe1820 and a 50 shot of NO2 and a FMIC

FF
what type of engine management? i would say that with that level of power mods, you're getting to a level of tune that requires an EMS that is perfectly mapped on a dyno.

i know God was running that setup w/o the nitrous, and on the stock tranny, and was pretty streetable. with a properly tuned 50 shot, i think you'll get some miles out of it, just don't expect to see that 100,000 mile service trouble free. ;)

dR

#5 ·
Flat_four said:
Well I Really need to know will our engine handle a stg4 with a pe1820 and a 50 shot of NO2 and a FMIC

FF
I would say no.

I think shard hit the nail on the head:
At least with some hint of reliability.
Hint indeed. You could do it, but when you run over 100awhp more than stock you need to be prepared for things to break. I've found that on most cars when you go 1.5 seconds faster than stock, things break. But breaking things is just a part of racing. "Ask any racer; Any real racer...."(Dom Toretto '01 :D )

Dan made power, but he never took it to the track, so that's not a good example. phil@TXS had their stg4 with nitrous (11.8@117 iirc), but blew it. Nathan@txs had the fastest all turbo time for a while (12.3@110) but blew it (cracked heads). Jorge had the fastest Auto. He blew 2 motors in less than a yr. Al ran mid 12's for a good bit and never blew his EJ205. He did shatter his 5MT though. These are just the people who have been upping the bar. There are lots of us behind them doing the same things.

The other people who were pushing the envelop with nitrous were running high 11's to low 12's with little mods (awesome!) eventually blew it (not all, but a lot). Around the point of low/mid 12's, things get hairy if you go by history.

Also, the 5MT staying together isn't a given in 12's period. It may never break for yrs (or at all), or it might bust your first pass.

Long story short, I'd reccomend have backup cash for a tranny or shortblock if you're going to go sub 13's.

Just my $.02

#6 ·
Thanks for the info I was going to use a utec or just get a aem all together, as far as E.M. I guess I should hold off on the pistons and rods and just get a built short block and tranny.

FF

#7 · (Edited)
hey

did you get the pe turbo yet? The max hp depends on a bunch of things. First off, the wrx gearbox can only take about a turboxs stage 4 worth of power without crapping out. If you add nitrous to it I would definately upgrade the gears. Second, the maximum horespower is determined by your other mods. IE-if you have a more efficient turbo like an sr40 which makes the same air flow and boost as a pe1820 with lower air temps, that will help get more horsepower. If you have lightened pulleys and wheels, a nice exhaust and a front mount intercooler, that will help you get power. There are many limiting factors, and if you are going for the most horsepower, you should think about that b4 you start buying stuff(like a pe1820).

PS-I know someone running nitrous and a vf34, which is a hot combination, and he doesn't seem to be having any problems, he upgraded his tranny though.

#8 ·
Thanks to be honest I asking for a friend Me I plan on building an engine from the ground up (kinda like Stealth he's my idol).. To answer your question this is all he has. He got UA pulleys pe1820 fuel pump sti injectors. no ems but planing on buying a utec he also wanted to upgrade his pistons and con rods. his has a front mount and a short ram intake , his also has a blitz cat back catless up-pipe and no down pipe. all this stuff is not installed yet. because he didn't want to blow his **** up... Now in IMO I think he should sell the sti INJ. and get some PE650 I also think hie should use a 35 shot instead of a 50 just to be a little safer I also think he should upgrade in tranny maybe a kaaz or something I didn't know for sure so I ask you guys for help.. So in a nut shell you guys are saying build up his short block and tranny first before he installs this stuff Right....

#9 ·
Yeah, unless the tuning's spot-on don't expect good reliability too far above 300whp on the stock engine. As for the tranny, well, expect less:rolleyes:

TypeC, thanks for making me piss my pants with that nice little "guys who have made a lot of power" recap of yours. Now I'm gonna have nightmares;)

#10 ·
if u want a relatively cheap and REALLY good motor.. teh sti ra spec C is just that... stronger internals... semi closed deck and 8K redline...

other than that.. i havent had any troubles... 61,000 miles and trapped at 109.9 last time at the track... my engine build plans are for a 2.2 turbo short block with forged internals.... but thats a lil bit away

-mike

#12 ·
TypeC said:
I would say no.

I think shard hit the nail on the head:

Hint indeed. You could do it, but when you run over 100awhp more than stock you need to be prepared for things to break. I've found that on most cars when you go 1.5 seconds faster than stock, things break. But breaking things is just a part of racing. "Ask any racer; Any real racer...."(Dom Toretto '01 :D )

Dan made power, but he never took it to the track, so that's not a good example. phil@TXS had their stg4 with nitrous (11.8@117 iirc), but blew it. Nathan@txs had the fastest all turbo time for a while (12.3@110) but blew it (cracked heads). Jorge had the fastest Auto. He blew 2 motors in less than a yr. Al ran mid 12's for a good bit and never blew his EJ205. He did shatter his 5MT though. These are just the people who have been upping the bar. There are lots of us behind them doing the same things.

The other people who were pushing the envelop with nitrous were running high 11's to low 12's with little mods (awesome!) eventually blew it (not all, but a lot). Around the point of low/mid 12's, things get hairy if you go by history.

Also, the 5MT staying together isn't a given in 12's period. It may never break for yrs (or at all), or it might bust your first pass.

Long story short, I'd reccomend have backup cash for a tranny or shortblock if you're going to go sub 13's.

Just my $.02
Bravo! This should be a sticky, or at least required reading for all members who are contemplating "the plunge". ;) :cool:

#13 ·
Flat_four said:
So what mods do you have?

FF
nothing fancy.. just bolt ons...

MODS:
Modified IHI VF30 turbo
Exedy/STi twin plate 6 puck clutch/flywheel
STi fuel injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
APS D/R 500 FMIC
Home Made Boost Controller
TurboXS UTEC
Perrin Short Ram Intake
Catless Uppipe
HKS Carbon-Ti Catback
Catless downpipe (lil custom)
NGK Spark Plugs (colder)
STi Version 7 Type RA Spec C suspension

#14 · (Edited)
Bottom line:

If you only want a drag racer, you picked the wrong car. Please proceed to V8 land (5.0 Mustang and 5.7 Camaro/Firebird are good bets).

If you want a practical car that will hold up for over 150,000 miles, has 4 real doors, 4 real seats, you can drive in the weather, gets good gas mileage on the highway and in town, costs a bunch less to insure, and is still a legitimate street terror, well, you picked damn good car.;)

BTW, how long you been running close to 110 in the quarter? I'm wondering how many of those 60,000+ miles have been at stage 4+ power levels? When I see an aluminum-everything 2L engine trapping around 110 reliably, I get even happier about owning a WRX:D

#17 ·
Hi...

I wanna say HI t :) o all first of all...and being a noob pls have a lot of pations...I am a fast learner but i have read so much that I don't know anything animore...

I am trying to get in the subaru world...I want to get a subaru WRX...but I wanna hit 400 hp with it at least 350 whp...planing to invest 10.000 and to buy an 2002 WRX with 12.000
If with 10.000 I can't hit 400 hp tell me what i need to do...But i want to be reliable...
In evo u can put 500 hp .. u get to 550 at 25 psi with 15.000 that means 3.0 sec 0-60...subaru can't get there from what i have read(not even the STI)...I started to read 4 days ago...6 houres a day...
I like the subaru...Pls give me a mod how i asked...than if u can i wanna hear some opinions regarding evo vs sti upgrade potential...

#21 ·
I think the stock Ej20 6000WHP around there you might have some problems

#22 ·
Z3RO said:
why did you bump a almost 3 yr old thread..lol
hey, at least he used the 'search' function....I'm proud of the n00b....

72k miles on my car...currently over 400chp(~325whp)...stock block, stock tranny....(both will fail in time)

you can easily get a WRX to 350whp w/ $10k....

MODS (with reliabilty in mind):

2.5L Sti Short block, $1800...$3000 installed w/ misc parts.
STi RA Gearset $2000 installed
Deadbolt Superzilla SZ49 turbo...$1650
TurboXS FMIC...$900
Modded Stock injectors...$120 for flow testing & cleaning
255lph Fuel pump....$100
Intake....$200
Engine Management...cheapest...CobbAP +Protune(custom tuning)...$750

#23 ·
testes1010 said:

72k miles on my car...currently over 400chp(~325whp)...stock block, stock tranny....(both will fail in time)

TurboXS FMIC...$900
255lph Fuel pump....$100
Intake....$200
Do you know how long will take from 0-60 (aprox) with that mode !? I was on www.Vishnuwrx.com...they will put 350 hp with 0-60 in 4.2sec ...will cost aprox 7500$...the thing is I am in chicago and they are in CA...as I have read...

#24 ·
i think the wrx blocks and trannys are fairly stout. I am 32k miles, stage IV for 26ish of them. I have run a best trap of 111mph, put honestly a couple hundred launches on the streets and many launches at the track and the stock gearbox and block are still doing rpetty good.

Here is a pic of my collection of 12.6-12.9 passes i've made with my car.

i plan on upgrading the tranny this winter and then maybe go with a V7 sti motor

#25 ·
testes1010 said:

TurboXS FMIC...$900
255lph Fuel pump....$100
Intake....$200
HAHA..I used search...DUDE... this car upgrades are not easy to understand...and takes a lot of time to learn about them...I just started 1 weak ago...and I think everybody was a noob...If u are a noob after years of experience is a different story...For now i want to know how much can I upgrade my car:my wish is 400whp/350 whp...if is posible i will begin questioning about parts... cose is a mess in my had now :)
In 6 months I will know how most of this people with big mouth that screaming at me learned in 3 years...Thanks to all that are willing to give me an advice instead swearing at me cose I'm a noob...Is like they've never been...

#26 ·
pepenele said:
the thing is I am in chicago and they are in CA...as I have read...
I'll be in Chicago Nov 18th for a retune w/ Jorge on alky injection at P&L motorsports....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.