Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ticking/clanking noise in 2nd/3rd at 3500+ rpm

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  subarutech 
#1 ·
Hey there. I've been browsing these forums for a while and finally decided to register, but my first post isn't a good one :(

I got my 02 WRX about 2 weeks ago with 82,000 miles, and everything seemed great until a few days ago when I noticed a slight noise. When I'm in 2nd and 3rd gear (it's worse in 2nd), and driving at 3500ish RPM's or higher, I can hear a faint noise that's sort of a ticking or a clink-clank noise. It's hard to explain, but it's not like a spun bearing clank, it sounds somewhat like if you were to put a playing card in the spokes of a bike while the tires were spinning.

Also, it doesn't really do it under full acceleration. I hear it mostly when I'm just getting on the gas, or when I'm letting off the gas and the pedal's almost all the way out, or if I'm just coasting and barely touching the gas (keeping the RPM's steady). Pretty much when the pedal is being pressed approximately a quarter of the way to the floor I can hear it, but I can't really hear it when it's pressed more than halfway down.

Any ideas what this might be? Really hoping it's not tranny issues after having the car for only 2 weeks.

Sorry if this is confusing, It's not the easiest thing to describe. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to clarify.

See less See more
#3 ·
Check your heat shields or find out where the sound is coming front. Cause my 02 subaru does something similar when idle or in 2nd gear. But I know where its coming from and thats near the downpipe/cat area. So I think its one of my shields Im not positive but have a friend who works on subarus to look at.

#4 ·
Check your heat shields or find out where the sound is coming front. Cause my 02 subaru does something similar when idle or in 2nd gear. But I know where its coming from and thats near the downpipe/cat area. So I think its one of my shields Im not positive but have a friend who works on subarus to look at.[/Q

sounds like thats what it is to me...see if when you rev it out of gear if it still does it...if so thats most likely the culprate...

#6 ·
well without hearing for for my self i think it could possibly be the throw out bearing..ussually they make noise when the clutch isnt applied but i have heard them make noise when it was applied..very rarely could be a bad pivot rod..or fork

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.