Subaru WRX Forum banner

protune vs opensource $$

15K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  WRX-maniac 
#1 ·
I'm going to have an invidia catless dp and a grimmspeed up pipe. I'm leaving the intake and exhaust stock.

My question is, is there a point in getting an access port if I'm going to end up paying for a pro tune anyway? Should I just go for the open source route at this point?

#3 ·
Speak to your tuner and ask them what they suggest

#5 ·
Let's get things straight here. A Protune can be done on the Cobb AP and through open source tuning methods. With that said, talk to you tuner. What interface they prefer to work on is usually the best option. Most don't mind tuning it either way but from talking to multiple tuners most prefer using the Cobb AP because it is easier.

If you are for sure getting a Protune, then from a money standpoint, not buying a Cobb AP would save you a bit. Logging would still be fairly simple. All you would need is a Tactrix 2.0 cable and a windows based laptop computer. Now, there would be some benefits to having the AP as well. The new AP 3 allows to you monitor up to 6 different engine parameters at one time (gauges in a sense). Not only that, but it is very simple to use and very simple to data log on. It's just an all around user friendly device. But obviously, the downside is that you have to dish out an additional $600.

In the end the decision is up to you as to which route to go. Pick whichever one is the best option for YOU and not for what someone else tells you they think is the best thing for you. And again, the absolute best advice I can give you is to talk to your tuner. Since they are the ones that will be tuning your car, they are the most fitted to give you advice and suggestions.

#17 ·
Jorge no longer tunes OS at all? I guess that leaves Jermaine at TXS the last one in the area that tunes OS. Hill (Agile) and Phil (Element) only do AP and Hydra respectively.

#19 ·
Both methods can protect "intellectual property". Opensource requires some more computer savvy but essentially the ROMs get moddified so they can be flashed but not read unless you have a special definition. XPT does this. E-tuning/remote tuning is also an option for both methods as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.