Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX good 'first' car? (NOT a teen)

9K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  jsantos1082 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Most threads I could find about this question were about (somewhat spoiled) teenagers. I'm closer to my mid 20s and I can finally afford a car - whichever one I choose. Since this would be truly my first car - i don't have a lot of "day-to-day" driving experience...

I've been told that I'm out of that "invincible" age I should be fine and 'grow' into it - and car insurance companies seem to think the same thing (costs pretty much the same as for a Focus).

I've seen that young people (teenagers) are recommended to start with the non-turbo version and wait to get the "crazy" out of them, but I've waited for so long as it is!!

So, I think I should be fine as long as i respect it. Do you agree?

#3 ·
I think it is a very good first car, as long as you are responsible. I would also encourage you to take some classes at the track that really explain how to properly handle a sporty car. Many people wreck fastest cars because they understand driving dynamics. Example how to handle a car that understeers. How to properly correct the car if you start to lose control, etc.

#4 ·
I'm making the assumption you are buying new. The break-in instructions are to keep it under 4,000 rpm and avoid hard starts and stops for the first 1,000 miles. If you follow that....by the time 1,000 miles is up, you'll have a good idea of how tame the car can be driven. Choosing to use more of the car's potential beyond that point is up to you.

That said, these cars can be driven very quickly. Just the same with any other car though....you have to stay in control of it, and not let it get away from you.

Should be no problem really as long as you are comfortable with a manual transmission.

#5 ·
Teen or not, the car is not to be handled lightly. It bears a ****load of power for a stock car. I'm a "teen" myself, and am very responsible on the road. Stop generalizing. Anyhow, yes it is a good first car. My WRX is my first car AND my first manual transmission and I've had no problems learning. You can always ask a friend with a manual transmission car to help you with driving stick, it'll maybe save some meat on your clutch haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
How are you a "teen?" Either you are or you are not. And the OP is not generalizing. Teens are generally pretty dumb.

#13 ·
Well this escalated quickly.

Haha thanks guys. Also you tend to be a lot more careful when your hard earned money goes into something lol. Maybe that's just me.

Also, on the whole teen thing: Ive done some stupid stuff as a teen + stats dont lie. The funny thing is that part of being a teen usually means you dont realize something is a bad idea. That's why you do it :p

I was actually surprised that car insurance was pretty much the same, regardless of the car

#15 · (Edited)
Really shouldn't make this more than it is. Teens do stupid stuff....agreed (myself included).

The OP looks to be buying with his money, and is asking a reasonable question (I think). Sounds like a responsible thing to do to me.

The WRX has considerable performance yes, but it can very easily be driven like grandma to church also. That really comes down the the driver. If you keep under 4k rpm (like in break in) and stay out of boost for the most part.....then the car is still quick yes....but very managable. Just takes a little self control to not go WOT in 1-3rd gears.

OP....it's all up to you if this would make for a good first car.

Later

#19 ·
I could buy either new or used (2-3 years old max). Problem is that people usually hold onto them. Like I said, money isnt necessarily an issue. I havent looked into what's best yet.

Do I trust myself? Yes. I just wanted a second opinion. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves.. Anyway, I know someone with one so they can definitely help me out.

#20 ·
My first vehicle was a 1985 Mercedes 190 diesel. Then a 93 Ford Explorer, then a 02 Honda accord. Finally when I turned 20 I purchased an 05 WRX. Loved it so Much that I traded it in for an 07 STI two years later. I think if you are responsible and have a healthy respect for vehicle it will be a great vehicle for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Aside from age vs. car, the WRX is a very competent car. The hatch also has plenty of space. Both versions can seat 5. Roof racks are readily available. It's VERY short on towing capacity. It's a bit more maintenance intensive then most other cars. It positively requires tires to be evenly worn, so a sidewall damage on a fairly worn set makes for expensive replacement since all 4 are needed.
Just read up. There are some drawbacks, but the car is a nice and after all pretty reliable one. You might also take into account that it might make you spoiled when looking for other cars later down the road...:wiggles:

#23 ·
You might also take into account that it might make you spoiled when looking for other cars later down the road...:wiggles:
I disagree with that. Although I enjoyed driving my WRX, I much prefer my OBS.

#28 ·
I think the fact that the OP is asking if this is a good first car shows that he is cautious, humble, and mature and could very well drive a WRX safely. ..or he's just a weenie and will get pancaked in traffic.

Either way they're not rocket ships. A stock bugeye could be outrun by a 2.5 Altima. They're also rather predictable when it comes to traction and steering. OP, yes, it is a good first car for you. Though, it may be a little more involved in the learning process than a FWD auto trans 98 Civic.

#29 ·
A stock bugeye could be outrun by a 2.5 Altima. .
A 3.5 Altima, sure. A 2.5? Having rented plenty of Altima's, and owned two bugeyes that started stock, I'm going to go with "no". Even the new ones trap something like 89 mph in the quarter, when I looked it up.

But I do agree with most of what you're saying, there.

#32 ·
i owned an 07 Altima 2.5 6spd, its slow.
most of the teenagers that own a Wrx/Sti obviously didnt buy it on their own, Parents bought it. So these kids will drive like *******s because they're not paying for the car. On the other hand, people who buy it with their own money will take good care of it. That's what i think.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.