Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 Bugeye Build

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lohr700 
#1 ·
Goodday all!

I started putting together the parts for this build back in may of last year after months of research on all the forums.. just to make sure I get everything I need, but I'm at a point now where a second pair if eyes would be useful on helping me out with anything I forgot while I start putting everything together.

2002 Subaru WRX (WRB)
Mod list..

Block:

2005 STi Short Block
Mahle PowerPak 4032 Pistons 100mm
Eagle rods (H beams)
ACL Bearings
OEM head studs
Nitraded Crank
Meagan Racing polyurethane Engine Mounts

Heads:

2.0 liter heads
-Radius valve job, cleaning & resurfacing
-pocket/bowl port
-2.5l chamber matched
-bench valve adjust
-BC 280s
-titanium valves and springs.

Forced Induction parts:

Precision 5858 turbo (rotated)
Grimmspeed manual boost controller
TurboXS FMIC w/ Matte White powder coated piping
Custom fabricated up pipe/down pipe
Custom short ram
Tial 44mm EWG

Other Engine parts:

Stock Intake manifold powder coated Matte white
Batlground 1.5 scroll EL header
Invidia g200 exhaust
TGV deletes
11mm oil pump
Samco hoses (Blue) to replace ALL factory ones
CarbonCreations alternator cover
Grimmspeed radiator shroud w/ built in tool tray (Black)

Fuel System:

ID2000 injectors
DW320 fuel pump in tank
Aeromotive top feed fuel rail system w/ nylon race hoses
Aeromotive 40 micron stainless steel inline fuel filter

Transmission:

Custom clutch
refinished stock flywheel
PPG Straight cut 1st-4th syncro stock 5th
Torque Solutions short shifter
Front and rear shifter bushings
Meagan Racing polyurethane Tranny Mount

Engine Management:

Cobb AccessPort
AEM uego
AEM oil pressure
AEM boost gauge
ATI clock gauge pod

Suspension:

BC BR Coilovers w/ rear extenders
Whiteline adjustable Front 24mm sway bar
Whiteline adjustable Rear 22mm swat bar
Whiteline Front Pillowball endlinks
Whiteline rear solid endlinks

Misc:

Ver7 blue faced speedo cluster w/ shift light
KStech semi-black hood scoop delete

(I'm sure I'm missing things... long list)

I'm looking for 450awhp-ish on 93.

Looking for 500awhp-ish on E85.

Will be using the car as a weekend driver and trying to make it to Auto-X events.

Is there anything vital to the build that I'm missing?

These builds sure do eat up your wallet don't they?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to ask questions/criticize my build! You don't post on an open internet forum and not expect everyone's opinion.. so bring them on!! Lol

Thanks for reading.

Some pictures of the current status:

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you're planning on using a real generous dyno, that turbo doesn't flow enough to reach your goals. The h-beam rods have been shown to snap at that power level (usually not right away). You will lift the heads with those head studs, OEM are not near sufficient. And you don't have enough fuel pump for e85..

I would also try to go 99.75mm with the bore unless you have to. I went 100mm right off the bat and it left me with no where to go in the future other than $3k to sleeve it.

#3 ·
Unless you're planning on using a real generous dyno, that turbo doesn't flow enough to reach your goals. The h-beam rods have been shown to snap at that power level (usually not right away). You will lift the heads with those head studs, OEM are not near sufficient. And you don't have enough fuel pump for e85..
I would also try to go 99.75mm with the bore unless you have to. I went 100mm right off the bat and it left me with no where to go in the future other than $3k to sleeve it.
H-beams snapping at 500awhp? I don't doubt you at all, not with your post count, I just thought with a good tune the were good for 550-600.. that's why I picked them up instead of i-beams (also got a great deal on them).

We had to rebore to 100mm on the block. as for lifting the heads, I only plan on running 25lbs max on the build. and thats MAX max. no higher. I haven't heard of anyone lifting heads because of oem head studs alone, but I have seen both side (oem and arp) lift heads on high boost levels,

Fuel... what do you recommend? I won't be getting the e85 tune for a little while, going to run pump gas 93 for now. From my research I think the in tank DW320 feeding a dual bosch 044 surge tank to the id2000s would work well. does that sound good? just waiting for a bit to build up a little more money and to see if I will be happy with the build as is.

not enough flow... what do you think the car will hit with the current turbo and setup? I asked a few different tuners and, giving the parts list heard anywhere from 400-450 range on pump 93.

#4 ·
There has been probably a dozen people I've seen in the last two years that broke h-beams between 500 and 600whp. That doesn't mean YOU will break them, but it's right on that limit, and it usually occurs after a few thousand miles of high stress.

If I were you I would at least run ARP head studs. I just upgraded from standard ARPs to 625+ Custom Age head studs because we're seeing a lot of people lift the heads with regular ARPs when going over 500whp. Honestly, I wouldn't even use OEM head studs with a 20g.

As far as the boost level, I'm running a larger turbo, at 27psi just to make 500whp on e85. I'm not real familiar with Precision turbos, but the sites I found your listed on said "620hp" and they listed mine at "675hp".

You would have enough fuel with the dual 044 setup in a surge tank.. but one thing you way want to consider is that everyone seems to have trouble making ID2000s idle properly on 93 octane with the stock ECU. You simply can't set the latency low enough. So they idle rough at something like 11:1 AFR.

I was going to run a surge tank with a single Bosch 044, but my engine builder said I would get real lean in 4th and 5th above 500whp on e85. They have taken a single 044 to 550whp, but it was beyond maxed out. Instead of going the dual 044 route I decided to go with a Full Blown dual pump hanger in tank with dual 340lph fuel pumps. You can really never have enough fuel when running e85.

There are plenty of dynos that you would get pretty close to 500whp on e85, but the dyno I use would be more like 460whp with that setup.

For what it's worth, this is what I did for 500whp in my bugeye.. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/member-show-off-photography/134341943-cotm-february-2011-a.html

#5 ·
hmmm... thanks for the good info. As this is my first big build like this, I will have to see if I'll be happy making 400 on pump. My other subie was basic bolt ons with a vf22 and I was having fun with it, just needed a little more. Only pulled about 240 on that one or so though.

My tuner Actually recommended the ID2000s. He said a lot of people do have trouble to get them to idle properly, but He's used them on most of the cars he builds and tracks and said, if tuned well, they are the best injectors out there.

For a reliable HP tune, will running 400whp on this build as it is be reliable as a weekend driver and some autoX events?

#6 ·
Well the tuner's the one .. tuning it. So if he's sure he can get them to idle good on 93 then I guess go for it. ID does make good injectors. 400whp in a Subaru is going to pull like mad, I'm sure you will have fun with it. One thing is that the higher you go over 400whp generally the less fun it is on the street. Big turbos take longer to spool, and you can't ever really open it up.

Given that it's properly assembled, it should be as reliable as any other built Subaru. I would expect a few problems here and there. You will probably need to tweak and adjust things on a monthly basis. The further you depart from stock the more problems you will have with it (at least in my case).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.