Subaru WRX Forum banner

The #1 thing I HATE about owning my WRX ):<

11K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  tirerob 
#1 ·
So I've owned my '04 WRX since October

And I love it, But there is this one thing that just pisses me off to point of not wanting to drive it.

I can't drive from point A to point B without some ******* Trying to race me, line up at a light, honk the horn, stare at me, rev their engine, etc...

I don't understand?! On the way to college, there will always be a Volkswagen/Honda that will sit there and rev there fart-canned inline 4 at me at a stop light. On the way to work, I have Mazdas and Nissans that just floor it on the highway past me doing like 100mph. Hell dropping my little brother off at High School these kids in their first cars like Pontiacs and Cavaliers will honk and try and race me. I am so pissed off right now, I literally can't go anywhere with this awesome car without someone trying to race me!

The reason I'm so mad in this post right now is because on my way home from work tonight, this slammed BMW Hatchback lookin' thing just sat there and said race me you *****! I was about to get out of my car I swear! It was raining out, the roads were packed and he wanted to race?! Then this '03 Chevy Impala Goes flooring by me.

Racing on streets is stupid! The potential of killing a van with a mom and her kids in it is the #1 reason why I WILL NEVER STREET RACE. I'm also a part time worker with full time college, I don't have the money to be losing my license or worse.

If owning my Subaru increases the amount of Stupidity around me, than why the hell did I buy the car ... I'm so mad right now, I'll end the rant here. I'm not asking questions, I'm just rambling in fury.

Am I the only one on this forum that has this problem?

I've notice fellow Subaru Drivers I never see racing, Hell I never see Evos street racing... I never see Camaros or Mustangs racing. Maybe it's because we owners of fast cars have nothing to prove and those with lesser cars and attempting to prove that there car is fast (which they never are).

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't worry about it. Just drive to/from where you're going, not worrying about what other drivers do. You're not the only one.

Add a bigger hood scoop and a park bench wing to your car and you'll notice more "challengers"...

#3 ·
The first few months i had my '12 wrx, there was a srt4 neon that would seem to always find me right after i picked up my 4 year old, and 1 year old daughters from Daycare, and would line up next to me and make his BOV and turbo make all sorts of noise, and try to engage me in a race. I wouldn't pay him any attention, and he would pull away from me, thinking his neon was the badest machine east of the Mississippi. After this happened about 5 times, i rolled down my back window (tinted at 5%) and told my 4 year old to wave at him. She waves at him with a big goofy smile on her face, and guess what, he still makes all this turbo noise trying to engage me in a race, and pulls away from me like he had something to prove to me and my kids.
First off.. Dude, its a f*****g neon... Second of all, if you want to race a dude with children in his car, you have no right behind the wheel of a car.
You just gatta keep a cool head and know that you don't have to prove anything. I know my car isn't slow, BUT i also know its not all that fast either.

#5 ·
MisterNBG said:
Noted, I'll try my best to keep my cool, People's stupidity upsets me
It's annoying, but after you ignore their attempts, they eventually get the message. If that doesn't work, roll your window down and give them a flirty wave and blow them a kiss with the eyebrow move...

RichD514 said:
The first few months i had my '12 wrx, there was a srt4 neon that would seem to always find me right after i picked up my 4 year old, and 1 year old daughters from Daycare, and would line up next to me and make his BOV and turbo make all sorts of noise, and try to engage me in a race. I wouldn't pay him any attention, and he would pull away from me, thinking his neon was the badest machine east of the Mississippi. After this happened about 5 times, i rolled down my back window (tinted at 5%) and told my 4 year old to wave at him. She waves at him with a big goofy smile on her face, and guess what, he still makes all this turbo noise trying to engage me in a race, and pulls away from me like he had something to prove to me and my kids.
First off.. Dude, its a f*****g neon... Second of all, if you want to race a dude with children in his car, you have no right behind the wheel of a car.
You just gatta keep a cool head and know that you don't have to prove anything. I know my car isn't slow, BUT i also know its not all that fast either.
Anytime an SRT4 tries to race you, just roll down your rear windows over and over again. They're manual on the Dodge, and they can't do it...

#6 ·
It's annoying, but after you ignore their attempts, they eventually get the message. If that doesn't work, roll your window down and give them a flirty wave and blow them a kiss with the eyebrow move...

Anytime an SRT4 tries to race you, just roll down your rear windows over and over again. They're manual on the Dodge, and they can't do it...
Phhahahaha ^^^^^lol

#9 ·
I was daily driving my mustang around when the first Fast and the Furious came out in the movies.... I would get challenged everywhere I drove... from ****can cars to legit stuff. All you need to do is just ignore them... eventually they will find an undercover blue riding behind when they are being dumb. Also where I live, police agencies used impounded car as undercovers... I remember when I was younger there being unmarked SS camaros and GT mustangs running around.

#10 ·
jeez after reading all that i must live in the land of decent racers! ive only been stop light BOV'ed once, but i also helped put the motor back into the pickup(supra engine, toyota pickup. and its gaint bird catching above hood turbo. no taste, but its hella fast.) and the guy is a friend so we got a good laugh out of it...i was in a turn lane facing a Bud Light delivery truck! the only others are people inviting me to a local drag strip or SCCoA and a track days event on the other side of the state. which i think im going to attend the SCCoA event, maybe smoke a few cones too.

racing on the streets....really?? and with kids OBVIOUSLY in the car???? REALLY??? i think ive used my onstar to report accidents twice now. glad i had it both times, really glad. our accident rate for near fatal or worse MVA is so bad a hospital nearby in norta dakota is staffing a ready team on alert 24-7 with a helicopter fueled and ready. maybe for the oilfeild guys too..... but seriously, go out and support your local SCCA chapter. race you car, a freinds car, scream WOOOOOHOOO as your squaking tires. have some cone scuffs to buff out. eat local tailgater BBQ! drive home safe(and go over every inch of your car afterwords. lol) get up the next morning and wonder if you should get the soap stick numbers washed off. maybe so, somebody in a chevy HHR SS(ive seen one. ecotec turbo. lol rev matching is cool tho) might take it the wrong way. ha!

#11 ·
Living in Socal I never have that issue unless I have gone to a car meet. A large number of the hondas out here are very chill people and are actually tuners. It's funny I'll sometimes drive by a hatchback honda or VW wondering to see some ricer but it's surprising it's not a ricer, it's an old couple driving it. But like Zax said, just blow them off and not worry about it. You drive your car and enjoy it, don't let anyone take that joy away from you because they want to try and race you. When in the fast lane and doing a pass, if someone is crawling up my tail at 90 plus miles an hour, then I just merge over, let them fly by and then get back into the adjacent lane.

Believe me, ricers are probably the bottom of the barrel mentality, but at the same time too they are not really the smartest or most educated bunch of people out there. Street racing, the only words I have to that are take it on a track and keep it on the track. Too many people I know have gotten killed or hurt by by either street racing or someone I know has been hurt by street racers. Good luck with your Subie and enjoy it everyday.

#12 ·
Surprisingly i have not really had a problem with people trying to race me. i guess its because i drive slow as ****.

#13 ·
Terminal Kuz said:
Surprisingly i have not really had a problem with people trying to race me. i guess its because i drive slow as ****.
They know your car is slow as ****. Get that thing fixed so we can turn up the wick...

#15 ·
I don't have any problems here in SoCal either. Actually, I've yet to meet more than a couple of people who even know what a WRX is. Seems like round here if it's not a muscle car, people are clueless.

Saying that, my wife brought my car home from the dealer after a service a couple of weeks ago and said she couldn't believe how many idiots drove aggressively around her. I've honestly never noticed. Perhaps I just drive too fast to notice.

#16 ·
As others have said, you're not alone in this. Around here the WRX and STi are the target cars. Muscle cars are owned by *******s and old people in my area, nobody really cares or pays attention to them, but EVERYONE has their eye on the Subaru.

At least twice a week I get the typical asshat who just won't leave me alone. Just last week I had a Nissan SE-R and a Honda Accord trying to hassle me. The odd thing about it is I work nights, so I only see people either late in the evening, 0100-0200 (lunch), or early in the morning rush hour. Typically I get messed with in the 0100-0200 range. It can be very annoying, but it is also pretty easy to ignore. And honestly, I think ignoring them pisses them off more than losing any race would.

Just mind your own business, and do your thing. If they're driving unsafe around you, get off the road for a little bit, and then resume. You're never in too much of a hurry to be safe, especially when your family is involved.

#18 ·
Just got home from work... Had a 2000 Chevy Silverado light them up at the stop light on the way home... I just looked at him and shook my head, There's a state police station not 1 mile up the road, what an idiot

#20 ·
I guess this is the good thing about having some gray hair..I don't get harassed very often. I also drive smoothly, use turn signals, and don't really cruise at more than 6-8 over the limit on a regular basis.

There is a guy in an SRT-4 that used to pop off his BOV at me whenever he'd pass me going the other direction in the morning. I just took it as a "Hi! I have a turbo, too!"

Then there's the STI that's in the business park nearby, that tried to zoom away from me at high speed on a 45mph road. I foolishly stayed with him, out of curiosity. Stupidity on my part; a ticket for 80 or whatever in a 45 zone would be a bad move for me.

#22 ·
Diesel trucks are the worst for me. I've had at least 4 that wanted to have a go from a light . Only other cars that tried was a kid in a riced out Saturn and some guy in a Mustang.. He was tailing me in the rain down a curvy road so I planted the pedal coming out of a 25MPH corner. I looked back and he was backwards in the middle of the road.

#23 ·
i havent had the problem for a while until i started driving up to see my friend near a city, all highway. had a stock srt 4 pull up near me and kept doing pulls til they would get about 20 yards and slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of them. luckily i had the next exit. had a really mean sound mazdaspeed 3 near me doing pulls next to me. saw a blob eye and made me happy, caught up to it to cruise next to him at 60 then noticed it was slammed, had a roof rack with no attachments guessing just for looks, and monster energy stickers all over the rear window, then pulled up next to him just to crusie, he floored it and weaved in and out a few cars while i facepalmed and watched him fly under the bridge where i got my speeding ticket. sadly he didnt get pulled over :(

#24 · (Edited)
Happens all the time here in OKC. Just yesterday some high school kid in a pretty nice mustang gt was revving up and giving me the evil eye. Dude, I'm in the left turn lane! I just gave him a quick spool and he hung his head, rolled up his window, and became distracted by something in his car. Other people can and will drive like idiots, just don't let it get the best of you.

#26 ·
I have also noticed this problem. I have experienced it more in my Trans am, I guess this because its obviously modified out the ass. Although, there have been a couple ocassions in my sleeper wrx where people would do this. There are two guys that are always trying to get me to do something. I only see them every now and then. One drives a civic SI and he other is a camaro SS.

#30 ·
I like a good stoplight to stoplight or a 0-60 run every now and again but it doesn't happen all that often. Maybe because it tends to be during heavier traffic and don't have that long a drive.
I did get a lot more challenges in my Eclipse and ALL THE TIME on my CBR. That was always really annoying because it would mostly happen on the freeway.

#31 ·
There is a new temp at my work who drives a new accord. We would come into work at the same time, and he was always tailgating me then would switch lanes real fast and fly by me. This happened multiple times in the morning. He didn't know it was me. I finally told him one day that I was the one in the wrx and why he feels the need to mess with me? His reply was "uh, I just like going over that hill at high speeds, nice car by the way" I just laughed. He proceeded to tell me he doesn't really like his accord to much. LOL. :confused::shakehead::rotfl:

#32 ·
This is actually the first car I've owned where I tend to just set the cruise on the highway at 5-8 mph over the speed limit (traffic is usually travelling at 10+ over on highways) and just mind my own business to avoid the jerks in other cars. I've been making a concentrated effort to not be 'one of those guys' in a WRX - and it seems that in my area those SRT4s, Civic SIs, MS3s, GTIs and the like are all on the highway. I just turn on some nice music and cruise along.

This has further reinforced my logic of not getting an exhaust and staying as 'stealthy' as a WRX can - I might even end up going front mount and removing the hood with the scoop for a regular impreza hood if the idiots keep on coming.

For some reason, when I'm at stop lights, diesel trucks tend to want to race me, too. I haven't figured it out yet - but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I am going to take up the 'little girl in the backseat' wave mentioned earlier if someone wants to stop-light race when my kids are in the car - that really gets me annoyed.

#33 ·
I used to own an RSX that I had modified... The funny thing was that I had only intake and exhaust, the rest of the mods were exterior, suspension, and interior and I never drove the car that hard and looked for trouble... But same story as others. I would have some guy who needed to prove to people that he didnt have a small penis. I would always mess with them and rev a little and get them excited and watch them be idiots. Never failed that I would just drive as usual and the other car would think he smoked an RSX...

Now that I have a WRX.... its only gotten worse hahaha. Now I just attract more idiots but whatever. I feel cool just knowing I dont lease my vehicle and have a sweet car.

#34 ·
To be honest, I had just as many people wanting to race me in my old blazer and my old (base model) impreza. People are idiots and want to race no matter what you drive. I think I actually have less people wanting to race me now, probably because they know that my car is faster than their's :))). I notice that I get a lot more "hey nice car!" mroe than anything. Maybe people in Maine are more chill though, who knows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.