Subaru WRX Forum banner

Replacing a 2002 WRX turbo what are my options?

12K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  surchk 
#1 ·
Pretty much what the title states, i want to replace the turbo on my WRX, i think it is gone so i want to know what are my bolt on options. (Bolt on meaning a turbo that will literally bolt on without any further mods to a stock car)

Some background info:

I gave a buddy jump, i know i should have stayed within 2-3k rpm (from what ive read and been told), but i may (i definitely did) drop my foot and, if i recall correctly, revved to around 5500 maybe 6k (for literally 1sec to less than that). After that happened the car started making an awful grinding and knocking noise. Two different noises. One noise sound like metal knocking together the other noise sounds like something caught in the turbo. Two separate noises. At first i thought the bearings in the alternator ceased or something like that, after further testing the alternator seems good, battery maintains 13-14V (optima yellow-top). I will, however, do further testing to rule the alternator out completely. When i first start the car there is a knocking noise (sounds like metal on metal) only for a few seconds and then randomly after that. As for the other noise, that is heard when I rev past 3K there is a grind noise where I usually hear the turbo spool up (this is really for another thread though, any input on this though is appreciated). I was able to drive my car 2 miles without any problems as long as I stayed out of boost and didnt rev past 3K.

Anyway, so I am assuming the worst which is why I would love some input about options for changing the turbo. As it stands the car is completely stock. I just put in an order for a grimmspeed uppipe (the stock uppipe is still on, i never pulled it to see if it was catted or gutted) I plan on pulling the turbo out to take a better look at it. The car is an 02 WRX at 98K miles on the clock, it had 4 previous owners none of which I can contact to find out what was done to the car (as far as the uppipe and recalls go). I already check out my local subaru dealers, the OEM turbo goes for around 1200$. Ive been told im better off picking up a used one on the forums. Do I have any other options besides buying a used OEM turbo? Are there anyother aftermarket turbos that will bolt on without any other support mods (like injectors and such)? That is pretty much my bottom line, what are my bolt on options for a stock car?

All and any help would be greatly appreciated, After this post im going to hit google and continue using search on the forum. Im sure this question must have been asked before so I will keep on searching (its been probably 2hrs with no luck sofar).

Info about my car:
2002 MPB WRX, w/ 4EAT Tranny
My ultimate plan is full stage 2 with a turboback exhaust (cobb) w/ cobb AP and appropriate map.
98K miles on the clock.
As of now the car is parked up and will NOT be driven until i can get it on a lift, pull the turbo, inspect damage, and do more trouble shooting steps.

My brother and I will be pulling the turbo in a few days to check it out. This is why I want to prepare for the worst, so I am assuming the turbo is dead. Im looking into new turbos and possibly rebuild kits depending on what is wrong. This is pretty much my fault, and I know this and i have come to terms with this. With all the reading I did about this car prior to purchasing it, the uppipe should have been to first thing i checked and replaced after this car was in my hands. Due to going to school paying for school and working a part time job, i kept putting things off and kept saying soon soon, which is why im in the position i am in now, in any case input and feedback is greatly appreciated, ive always valued the word and advice from the members of this forum.

See less See more
#2 ·
You're going to be fuel-limited to the OE turbo.

If indeed the turbo is done, I would not buy a new one; they can be had used for a lot cheaper (even if you get burned on one, buying two used will be significantly cheaper than new). I would wait to pull the turbo until you're uppipe arrives, so you can install that while the turbo is off, in case that's not the issue.

#3 ·
Yeah I figured. Some of my research was pointing to Godspeed turbos on ebay... But I'd rather get a used one on the forums. I was just wondering what my options were for a stock car and I want to prepare my self and my wallet for the worst case scenario. I'll definitely be waiting until I pull the turbo next week when the uppipe arrives

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
surchk said:
Yeah I figured. Some of my research was pointing to Godspeed turbos on ebay... But I'd rather get a used one on the forums. I was just wondering what my options were for a stock car and I want to prepare my self and my wallet for the worst case scenario. I'll definitely be waiting until I pull the turbo next week when the uppipe arrives
Putting a Godspeed turbo is about as intelligent as picking up the local crack ***** on the corner and doing her raw dog

#5 ·
ROFL, which is why I would rather find a used one on the forums. I am familiar with Godspeed products and the rap they have on many forums. I've seen and held a Godspeed downpipe, fitment was God awful and it felt so cheap.

#12 · (Edited)
Without any other mods...stay with td04. Replacing your turbo with anything else will require other modifications (fuels pump, injectors, up and down pipes, etc) just to use run it correctly. (And there's more you could do while you're at it)

If you're ultimate goal is stage 2 then you need a few of these mods in the future and this would be the ideal time to do so. But a larger turbo will not be required for stage 2.

If you're not ready to swap everything and have it tuned you'll be doing more harm than good.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, and the laugh EJ.

As I mentioned I was looking for a bolt-on turbo and wondered what my options were all the research backs up your feedback, stick the the OEM TD04. Which I probably will do. The only reason I didnt get a larger turbo is because I dont and didnt plan on doing anymore work on the car besides stage 2. Im not looking for 300, 400, 500 HP out of this car, it is my daily driver and I just wanted to add a little bit more power to it. I wont be drag racing or going to the track, i just wanted a bit more power for a daily and stage 2 seemed the way to go.

That being said, is there a turbo buying guide stickied any where? Any tips or suggestions for picking up a used turbo? Is there a certain mileage that I should stay away from? Ill start my searches on this in a few hours. Thanks for all the input once again guys I appreciate it.

#14 ·
well as far as mileage the lower the better obviously. your car has 98k on it and a dead turbo. so use that for reference. obviously you dont want a turbo with 100k on it. i wouldnt pay more than a few hundred bucks for a >60k mileage td04 personally. but then again i wouldnt be looking for a used td04 in the first place lol!

#17 ·
Finally found some one with a turbo on nasioc.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/9955/img20130110130012.jpg

Thats a link to the pic he sent me.
The price we decided on is $250 shipped to me, ill be doing everything through paypal (non gift payment) so if something doesn't go well I think ill have some type of protection from paypal.

According to the seller this is a turbo he purchased to replace his own turbo that had issues and he states it has roughly 30k miles on it. He also says it spools pretty fast and strong and there is zero shaft play. The only thing that bothers me is he has zero feedback on nasioc. He joined back in april of 2012 and posted a thread selling a sti s202 titanium exhaust in july, i dont think hes located close enough for me to check out the turbo in person or else i would be doing so.

In any case, to anyone interested, ive finally made time to take a better look at my car, me and my brother will be pulling the turbo on tuesday to get a better look, i ordered a grimmspeed uppipe so we will be swapping that out while we are under there since its going to be arriving on tuesday and in a few days ill be placing an order for a TurboXS catback and a Cobb AP to flash to stage 1. After all that is paid off ill be getting a catted DP (either cobb or turboxs) and flashing to stage 2 (hopefully less than a month later)

#18 ·
250$ is too much. I think I sold my TD04 for 25$. Do some more searching. Buy local and check out the turbo personally. There has to be someone sitting on a TD04 in your area.

#19 ·
25$ ??? god damn i could use a deal like that right now, someone else can get me one with 51k miles on it for 170 shipped, ill keep shopping around i need to get this car up and running soon, I do pc and network consultations so i NEED to get around, public transit and borrowing my brothers car isnt too bad so far but it would be nice to get my car up and running again

#21 ·
The guy selling for 170 has around 61 transactions done on nasioc with a good mix of buy and sell transactions all positive but one I'm considering this guy cause after the next two weeks down time is really gonna start taking a toll on doing business

#22 ·
I'd offer him $100.
Can't hurt to see what he says. Honestly I doubt his used td04 is in high demand. He will probably be happy to just unload it. I would.

#23 ·
haha, yeah thats what im doing ive seen turbos sold on nasioc for an average of 100-150 shipped within the last 2-3 months. Then again i REALLY want to get my car up and running this downtime is gonna start killing my income. I started using my brothers 4runner so I can get to and from work and consultations. I just put in my order on rallysport for a cobb AP. So damn excited till it gets here on tuesday, first thing is flashing my car to stage 1. I havent had a chance yet to look at my car, the weather has been below 19 degrees and I dont have a garage to work in. Ive got another 500-600$ to spend, im trying to decide on a turbo XS catback, or a downpipe and adapter to stock exhaust.

on one hand I would like to go stage 2 asap, on the other i wouldnt mind having a nice sounding exhaust for a few weeks/months till i can scrape up the money for the DP later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.