Subaru WRX Forum banner

09 WRX burning smell after getting cobb accessport

8K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Rummie 
#1 ·
I bought a cobb accessport today. I went through all the instructions, downloaded the correct maps and everything and did everything how it was said. After driving to work I smelt a little bit of a burning smell, didn't pay much attention to it at first. The next place I drove to I noticed the smell was getting worse, I looked at my hood scoop and I could see either smoke coming out of it, so I lifted my hood and some more smoke came out and there is a very potent burning smell. It never happened until I had installed the Accessport. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Any help is appreciated thanks

#8 ·
I haven't seen any fluids on the ground or by the turbo, I will check again though. And no I did not do a full throttle blast right after the flash. Maybe like 4-5 starts and then a little bit on the gas. I did go full throttle though within that drive. Hopefully its not something worse lol. Should I take it easy on driving or what do you think my next option is?

#10 ·
What on earth?...

Well, I can tell you this, there's no way that the AP directly caused this.

Is there any way that you could post up some decent pics of the surrounding area that the smoke is coming from? Maybe we can try to identify the problem a little better.

It definitely sounds like oil getting on exhaust. Try to look to see if you can see any wet oily spots anywhere and if so, try to trace them.

#14 ·
Is the smoke white / grey or is it black? I had this happen a couple of times and turned out to be excess oil being burned off near the turbo area. Each time it happened was in close timing of a service performed, like oil change and / or replacing of engine bolts. Little drops of oil can take awhile to burn off. This was more than likely some oil that landed on the hot downpipe. If it's light in density and white / grey, it's probably excess oil burning off.

Alexmartynyuk has a good point as well.

#15 ·
09 Sedan with 49,000 miles on it. Smoke is not black it is white. And it was coming from the oil hitting the exhaust. It got pretty bad today when I was driving to school so after class I decided to take it down to the Subaru dealership. They got to looking at it and it's pretty bad. They haven't identified it quite yet but apparently so much oil got on to my clutch that the clutch is now "heavier" and they need to replace that, with the timing belt because there is oil all over that as well. Also their best bet as to what the problem is, is that the PVC valve had gotten plugged up making the turbo basically push out the oil from the seams. They said the earliest they could get it done would be Monday night. I'm hoping that because of the accessport it won't void my warranty.

#16 ·
im pretty sure the AP wouldnt have caused that issue...but you never know...also, this part: making the turbo basically push out the oil from the seams...are they replacing the turbo?

#19 ·
When they get done with it and I find out everything that has happened I will let you guys know. It is now in the hands of Subaru lol. Defenitely better than me working on it. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to cars. I've only had my WRX about 5 months. This was the first mod I put into it, looks like I'm off to a good start lol.

#22 ·
I got the car back today. Apparently the oil pump had caused the over pressure. Could that be anything to do with the AP? I just bought the thing and it would be kind of a waste of money to not use it. But if it caused any problems with my engine I'm just not going to use it.

#26 ·
They said that the pcv valve is blocked, and that something else had to do with my oil pump. I picked it up after the mechanics had all left so I could not ask anyone directly what the problem was. I will probably go there sometime within the next week and see.

#27 ·
As long as it was covered by warranty I guess it's all good, but I would be leery of ever going back once the warranty is out. Their explanations are puzzling.

I could be biased though, I have never had a good experience with a dealership near me. I have to go out of state usually to find a decent one.

Good luck with the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.