Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wrx or ss?

19K views 107 replies 29 participants last post by  Mikie13 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 wrx premium and its all stock 265hp wit short throw shifter, is it faster then the 2009-2010 cobalt ss turbo? Like off a dig or roll?

#3 ·
Well my friend has a 09 ss turbo he claims he can smoke me from a dig nd roll. But iam pretty sure i can smoke it from either because i was neck and neck wit a mazda speed 3 nd i had a bit of a pull like half a car on it. I also smoked a 05 sti with full catback exhaust the driver was a good driver just that i am better with my car. :) stock vs stock i am pretty sure i can take the ss either way. Why do u say he can take me
Off the roll?

#12 ·
stock vs stock i am pretty sure i can take the ss either way. Why do u say he can take me
Off the roll?
similar power numbers, similar weight.. one big difference, he's only driving two wheels vs you're driving all 4. Drag is not on your side either..so between driveline loss and aerodynamic drag the cobalt will start to gain advantage above 100mph.

Now that said, I used to ABUSE my friends cobalt ss with my old merkur (mk1 sierra) .. and I was only making maybe 220-230hp at that time. Again though, still comparing 2wd cars. Awd takes quite a bit more power to keep pushing at speed vs the fwd or rwd counterparts.

#6 ·
he will probably take you from a roll because once both cars are going the same speed, cobalt has to put the power to only 2 wheels as opposed to 4... wrx has more drivetain loss because its awd, therefore, from a roll he should be able to slightly beat you, but only marginally. from a dig, you'll have 2-3 car lengths on him by the time you 60mph, if not more. by the time he catches up and overtakes you, it won't matter because the 1/4 mile is long done with.

#7 ·
Yeah the roll race i dont even concider that a race anyway. Drag race consists of r/t, but i am pretty sure i can take him on a roll too i took on a ms3 by half a car. But from a dig i am sure i can smoke him bad, he wont stand a chance. The new wrx 0-60 in 4.4 sec wit shorth throw shifter so thats a second and half behind the ss is 5.8. I accually smoked a 335i the other day off a roll nd dig.

#8 ·
WRX will win from a dig if you can launch the car well which I don't recommend to do often.
Turbo Cobalt will win from a roll vs a stock wrx once you hit 3rd gear he will start to pull you.
The stock wrx power just tapers off in 3rd gear. Once I got my Cobb Ap and down pipe I was amazing how much better the car pulled in 3rd and 4th gear.

#11 · (Edited)
Nice driving!

400whp? turbo back exhaust, intake, at least a 20g turbo even on E85, front mount intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, professional tune, etc... And at 400hp it all depends on how you drive if it last.

Here's some info for you... He is making 426whp on E85 fuel.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243209

I am more then sure i can smoke a ss of the line to 100mph wit no problem.
It would be a good race but once your in 3rd gear the Cobalt is going to start making ground on you.

#19 ·
It was on the street but we have a street where no one lives and there is never trafic which the whole town does races. The ss is accually slow off the start Even with the launch control, off the dig i was pull on him like it was a cobalt lt ahahahha. But i need help with this stage 2 or 3, i never modded wrx i did to my old rx7 but never on wrx what is the gains on the stage 2-3 on cobb? I heard about this 60$ tune that i only need downpipe for?

#65 ·
That's the tune i run. I have been through Cobb stage 2, Perrin stage 2 and TP stage 2. I would have to say the TP seemed to be the smoothest of them all. The Perrin seemed to be a little jumpy but felt more aggressive than the cobb. The TP felt like the perrin but was smooth like the cobb so its like the best of both worlds. Only thing is you need the software and a tactrix cable for your laptop... then you can load the tune.

#21 ·
A wrx is lot nicer then a cobolt. It's embarrassing ur comparing the two. Do more research. Most do access port with cobbs maps.

#22 ·
Really though, the Cobalt is not all that bad. Its not like the interior can be much worse than the crappy interior in the WRX. And it does have really good performance, as well as a proper LSD that gives it pretty much the same if not better traction than the WRX on corner exit. They really aren't bad cars, and stock for stock, its just as fast and handles just as well as the WRX.

But its a cobalt. I'm part of the crowd that feels, "I don't care how great it is, I don't want to own a Cobalt". Stupid, I know. But that's how I feel.

#23 ·
I'm with you on that one. We have a bunch of Cobalt, Neon, Caviler, Tiburon, etc... Wanna be racers in the area so I could never own something like that. I'm more of a muscle car fan but you can't beat a wrx for year round fun.

#35 · (Edited)
you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe in PA you have really wet snow all the time but 20 inches of powder doesn't mean that much on the roads. And Kadir07....Grammar and spelling, Im begging you. Those two posts were painful to read

#37 · (Edited)
edit: misread the previous post

I am by no means suggesting trying to drive through a large distance of dense snow 20 inches deep. But I am saying that its possible in some situations and I have done it before. Only for about 20 yards to get out of my street and onto the main plowed street but the car was fine. Your not going to high center on powder so clearance isn't an issue in the same way it would be with dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.