Subaru WRX Forum banner

A heads up about the tires on your car

58K views 72 replies 48 participants last post by  wrexaru 
#1 · (Edited)
#17 ·
i gotta check all of my tires when i get home

#18 ·
Yeah. I'm a bit annoyed at this point. If my tires were made in may of 05 we're going on 3 and a half years sitting on the shelf. That gives me like the next 4 ish months before it gets too cold here for summer tires and then 2 years or so before they are reaching the edge of their usuable life.

Almost 3.5 years old on a tire that is good for perhaps 6? Bah.

#21 ·
Something to note: Tirerack claims they have a 2 year limit on all of their tires. They "guarantee" your tire will not be more than 2 years old.

Discount tire direct has nothing like this and claims that their most recent shipment was in July for F1 DS-G3's. I find it hard to believe goodyear shipped them 3.5 year old tires this month.

The guy at discount tire was trying to convince me that a 3.5 year old tire isn't that old....when you're not even supposed to keep a tire past 6 years. Was trying to tell me a tire is good for 10 years on the shelf. He had their warehouse guys check the DOT on the other ones. All are 3.5 years old.

So unless tirerack is full of crap it looks like I'm waiting another 5 days for tires...because I'm returning these.

#22 ·
So unless tirerack is full of crap it looks like I'm waiting another 5 days for tires...because I'm returning these.
Seems like a great idea. Performance tires have a softer compound that probably degrades faster than a typical all season regular passenger car tire.

That's "two parts jelly, one part butter". It is how I like my toast in the morning.
:rotfl:

#28 ·
Lol....so I email Goodyear asking them why Discount Tire Direct would receive 3.5ish year old tires in a shipment as recently as the beginning of July. Their response? Found it funny because it was almost exactly what the guy in the video said.

Thank you for contacting our web site and for your interest in tire safety.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) represents the position that there is not one specific chronological age at which tires should be removed from service because there is no data that supports a specific age.

Age is not the key, consistent maintenance, proper inflation and regular inspection for treadwear patterns and damage are the keys to good tire performance.

While there is no data that demonstrates a tire is less safe when it reaches a certain age, for consumers who are concerned about the age or condition of their tires, it is recommended they let a tire professional inspect their tires.

Karen Knight
Consumer Relations

#44 ·
It's about the shelf life of tires. Even if you buy them brand new, that only means that they've never been used, but they could be years old already. They only have a finite life span and can fail catastrophically if they're merely too old and haven't been used much. In the ABC story, 2 guys died in a minivan where tire failure was the only cause of the accident.

#31 ·
i forget the exact numbers, but its something like within 4 years its lost 50% . i know at the shop i worked at we had to get apprval to work on anything 5+ years old and 10+ we were not supposed to touch. rarely followed this. it depends on more than just age. mostly location and if they were kept outside (sunlight takes the oils right out of a tire hence the cracking and stuff you'll see in a sidewall). its scarier when you see codes that are from the 90's or before the DOT numbers were in their current format.

#33 ·
This is a good story, but I have to disagree with the arbitrary number of 6 years. I've raced in tires older than that with never a problem. I bought a used car with tires so bad they were cracking on the side walls. I didn't drive it on the freeway with them, but I drove it around town from shop to shop to get it repaired on them with no problems and then I bought new tires for it. These things looked frankenstein, but they never failed.

Also, do you have any idea how much tire prices will rise if they have to pull all those tires over 6 years old? Can you imagine selling your car, but there is a law that says you can't sell a car with tires over 6 years old? I can.

Also, I have to ask, how many of these failures are caused by low tire pressure? I know of many tires that have failed due to low tire pressure, and they have the new monitoring systems mandated now for all new cars and I bought one off Amazon to put in my sti, so I really think the problem is low tire pressure and not just because the tire is old.

Also, how many of those failed tires are from unknown brands or imported tires?

With all that said, in the story, he indicated he bought them 5 years before and they were 4 years old at the time. 9 year old tires. Okay, but only one blew out. The other 3 were fine. In the video you can see none showed any signs of failure. So if 6 years is the limit, 3 other tires worked fine. Is it not more likely that that one tire was underinflated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.