Subaru WRX Forum banner

04 wrx vs 03 tiburon gt

5K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  John M 
#1 ·
Well a buddy from work has a 03 tiburon gt v6 , its just got intake and exause, im all stock , so do you think i could take it?

#2 ·
That should not be a problem at all.

Unless you are not a very good driver.:sadwave:

#4 ·
From personal experience they are quick from roll and this guy only had an intake. I think we were almost even when I was stock. So if this guy has an exhaust he might take you from a roll but if you go from a stop an get a good launch he might not be able to catch you.

#5 ·
^^^Agreed they are pretty quick cars, but if you're a good driver, you shouldn't have any problems at all...

#10 ·
It's the oldest design in Hyundai's lineup and makes only 170 hp. If and when they do redesign it, you can expect it to receive a version of either the Sonata's 235hp v6 or the Azera's 260hp v6. Either one would be quite potent pared with a 6spd manual.

At this point, owners wishing to go fast have to do it themselves. There's a decent following at newtiburon.com -- yes, I read lots of msg boards :D

#12 ·
my brother has an 03 tib with I/H/E and my stock wrx ate it up, then stage 2 came and :sadwave:

They are nice cars and have amazing gearing... but gearing isn't enough with no power coming from the block.... R.I.P. El Tiburon :sadwave:

#24 ·
I recently read where the Tiburon replacement (2009ish) will look very similar. However, it will move to a RWD platform based on their upcoming luxury car.

It's said to offer the current Azera v6 as a base engine, meaning around 260hp. The uplevel engine will be the v8 from the new sedan, packing 350-400hp in various trim levels.

Yep, too bad Hyundai doesn't know how to build cars.

#29 ·
this weekend i took an 07 tiburon gt (which is faster than the 03) and he have intake exhaust. i have a bone stock 08 WRX.

in my car was me, my girlfriend, my best friend, and his girlfrind.
in his car, was jus him.

we went from a roll, and i pulled on him a 1.5 cars then threw on the cautions.

#31 ·
170hp will get you only so far. I don't see how an 07 would be any quicker than an 03 except maybe 5spd vs. 6spd.

I'd run a stock WRX in my mom's Azera any day. After 30 it'd be pretty ugly. If it's from a roll the WRX might as well forget it - it's gonna get outpowered by the large Korean sedan :D

Too bad they didn't use the Sonata's 235hp v6 as an interim upgrade to the Tiburon before the total redesign. It would have injected some real life into the platform.

#35 · (Edited)
You'll eat his lunch. Even an auto WRX will take it.

As for the speculation on the future Tiburon:

Hyundai’s next generation Tiburon [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]Coupe[/FONT][/FONT] was recently caught undergoing the final phases of its development program before hitting the [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]international [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]auto [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]show [/FONT][/FONT]circuit next year. The new coupe is said to mimic some of the lines of the HCD8 Sports Tourer concept, which debuted at the 2004 [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]Detroit [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]Auto show[/FONT][/FONT], but the latest images reveal some of the proportions of the current model will carry over.
The 09 Tiburon will ride on an all-new platform but the [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]front-drive[/FONT][/FONT] configuration is likely to stay, but with a range of more powerful four-cylinder and [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]V6 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]engines[/FONT][/FONT]Hyundai is also rumored to be working on a new rear-wheel-drive coupe based on its upcoming Genesis [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, Helve, Sans-serif]sedan[/FONT][/FONT] Unlike the Tiburon, this new coupe would be a premium model aimed at luxury makes and is likely to feature a V8 powerplant.
Hyundai is well on its way to reaching its goal of becoming one of the top five car makes in the world. It’s no longer regarded purely as a maker of cheap and unreliable cars and is now comparable with many of its more established rivals. A recent survey has found that Hyundai’s image has improved dramatically in recent times, with the South Korean carmaker’s brand ranking improving by 32%, something that will definitely help the new Tiburon.

#38 ·
Your latest news bit does make more sense than earlier stories. Having them split the platform into a new Tiburon, still FWD v6, and a higher-level v8 RWD coupe is more in line with what other automakers do. Sounds like they may beat the Altima Coupe / 350Z at their own game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.