Subaru WRX Forum banner

Pics of the cheapest, best strut brace

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  perfusionista 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed my $35 ebay rear strut brace on my 04 wagon this morning. 10 minute install, and the quality seems just perfect. It's sturdy, the welds and material look plenty strong, and it was a perfect fit. Only minor cutting of the carpet trim "caps" was required.

I heard about these braces on the forum, and all the other reviews were pretty positive as well. I already had a Cusco brace up front, so I emailed the guy and he split the pair and sold it to me for $35 shipped. Not a bad deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33591&item=7980711238&rd=1

#4 ·
i just installed a cusco front only it made a big difference the only problem was the roll in the front wasn't too bad to start with. i am going to install a rear cusco with a v brace hopefully that will cure the rear end lift and roll feeling. if you are in orange you need to talk to ferdie ang at south coast subaru he has been right on the money about everything.

#5 ·
"best" is kind of a tought term here.

the wrx has a 3 ring frame, and is very stiff through the strut tops. strut bars will do little to add rigidity through the frame. they may look nice, but you won't be getting anything substantial from them performance wise.

grab some sway bars, or upgrade the struts for some noticable suspension enhancement.

dR

#6 ·
Agreed. So far, the biggest handling improvement I've done was the sways. Sometimes we have a hard time telling what our upgrades have really done to the car, but the sway bar was noticable from the start.

Without going out and hammering on the car (not on today's schedule), I won't know if the rear brace makes a large difference. The car has always felt pretty stiff, but since the price was right, a part like this can't hurt. For the money, this might be the "best" brace for those who are looking for one.

#7 ·
ive got front and rear STi replica strut bars. They are nice. Didnt really notice a major difference from them (then again i installed them same day as my Eibach Pro Kit). Now i have a Cusco Rear sway bar and i can definetly feel a difference. the car goes hard into turns, the back end hooks up and its like riding on rails. beautiful.

225/45/17 tires + Eibach Pro Kit + STi rep. F/R strut bars + Cusco R sway = :thumbup:

#8 ·
thanks rex i know nothing about the frame i do know the car is stiff to begin with but my tires are stock so i can only push so far anyways my next plan is tires, springs and sway bars plus rear strut and v brace for good looks, i was thinking of tanabe springs with cusco sways and re 070 tires any advice on that. my plan is mostly for canyon driving and daily driver.

#9 ·
I have the pink/silver STi replica bars both front and rear. i like them, but..

the sedans won't benefit from then nearly as much as a wagon will. the sedans have a large structural panel that crosses behind the top of the seat back. so, this sits right next to it, and obviously won't do much. didn't stop me from adding one anyways! the wagons are completely open between the strut tops, so they will see a benefit (may be marginal, but still). the front strut tops are so close to the firewall, i doubt a front strut bar will make a noticable difference. so, again, i put one on anyways. :)

i think an under chassis brace would help, also. maybe not noticably, but still.

#11 ·
Wade-0 said:
Maybe on a sedan, but this is contrary to everything I've read about rear strut braces on the wagon.
i just put mine on yesterday, very little difference but every little bit counts.

#13 ·
you'd do yourself a disservice if you didn't.

tip: when you get them, go to home depot and get some nice, thick washers that just fit around the bolt, but are at least 1/2" outer diameter. i found some that were 5/8" and fit around the bolts just right. they will allow you to bolt the two main bolts down much tighter. (you'll need 8 total).

#14 ·
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that bar doesn't look that great. It's not adjustable, but relies on a "slot" to allow for variations in fit. I don't know whether you can get those Allen bolts tight enough to ensure that they won't move under load. Of course, if they don't move, it may just be proving some people's contention that these bars don't do anything. :)

I've got a Whiteline. Expensive, yes, but I love having the quick-release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.