what is riding the clutch? what causes it to burn?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what is riding the clutch? what causes it to burn? within the STi Transmission/Drivetrain forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; what exactly is riding the clutch? what causes the clutch burning smell? i am asking cause yall know my 2nd ...

what is riding the clutch? what causes it to burn?

what exactly is riding the clutch? what causes the clutch burning smell? i am asking cause yall know my 2nd day driving stick, will 2nd day 12hours and 54min. if we want to be exact, , im trying to prevent buring the clutch
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

holding the clutch in between compressed/decompressed (pedal in/pedal out) states is probably the easiest way to explain it. ? dont rest your foot on the clutch eitehr.

youll get used to the change in driving style pretty quick. some smell will be normal since youre new. i wouldnt worry too much unless youre still doing it a few weeks from now.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    holding the clutch in between compressed/decompressed (pedal in/pedal out) states is probably the easiest way to explain it. ? dont rest your foot on the clutch eitehr.

youll get used to the change in driving style pretty quick. some smell will be normal since youre new. i wouldnt worry too much unless youre still doing it a few weeks from now.
    i got ya, im starting to understand more and more, when you shift gears and the car kinda bounces what does that mean?
    Fadi....
    MODS

bouncing or jolting means you are either: not giving enough gas, or letting off the clutch too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Scoop
    bouncing or jolting means you are either: not giving enough gas, or letting off the clutch too fast.
    is it bad?
    Fadi....
    MODS

I Support ClubWRX
    Short term, doesn't hurt the car a bit. Long term, basically you are "jolting" the powertrain and could potentially loosen up powertrain items like ujoints, etc. "Jolting" could also be considered the same thing as a "mini-launch" in terms of the effect to the clutch, where it is a bit more abusive then everyday driving. I wouldn't worry about it as our powertrain is VERY robust. As you learn, your shifts will become smoother until it is 2nd nature to lift-throttle/push clutch/shift/lift clutch/push throttle.

Also, our clutches almost alway "smell" when using them in reverse. I believe it's something to do with "graining" of the clutch/flywheel surface, and when you reverse it, it removes the granularities and burns them up, thus producing the smell. I've gotten used to it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Due to the nature of the beast, the STI requires somewhat of a pause during shifts for general daily driving. During daily driving, I basically pause for about 1/2 second before letting the clutch out. That gives me really smooth shifts.
    Never stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by complexx
    Due to the nature of the beast, the STI requires somewhat of a pause during shifts for general daily driving. During daily driving, I basically pause for about 1/2 second before letting the clutch out. That gives me really smooth shifts.
    ahhh i was doing that but it seemed right but it wasnt, what i do is put in the clutch/letoff gas/shift/ then let off the clutch half way and give it gas then release slowley and add more throttle, sound about right?

the clutch engages like half way on the clutch correct, im really trying to get the feel but it just aint crackin, but i got 1st gear pretty well, at least im not stuck at lights anymore hehe
    Fadi....
    MODS

Quote Originally Posted by complexx
    revs don't seem to drop fast enough to keep up with quick upshifting at the lower rpms..thus pausing before letting clutch out lets rpms fall closer to where they should be.

at high rpm upshifts, revs seems to fall faster and the delay isn't necessary to get smooth shifts

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07

Also, our clutches almost alway "smell" when using them in reverse. I believe it's something to do with "graining" of the clutch/flywheel surface, and when you reverse it, it removes the granularities and burns them up, thus producing the smell. I've gotten used to it.
    Lol. The clutch and flywheel aren't doing anything different while in reverse, dude... The engine still turns the same way. rofl.. The transmission has a reverse gear, rather, an even number of transfer gears that cause the rotation to be reversed. so the only thing that actually gets reversed is the output shaft of the tranny. If you're smokin in reverse, you're slipping it too much.

Wow, someone learning to drive stick in an STi? That's a daunting task. Good for you though asking lots of questions and keeping your chin up. It's not the easiest car in the world, but it's by far not the most difficult.

Once you learn your machine, you'll be ripping off clean 250ms or less up and downshifts..

and riding the clutch IS resting your foot on the pedal. Big no no... don't do it. that's what the dead pedal is for.. that's where you put your foot when you're not USING the clutch.
    2013 STi Wagon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexamus
    Lol. The clutch and flywheel aren't doing anything different while in reverse, dude... The engine still turns the same way. rofl.. The transmission has a reverse gear, rather, an even number of transfer gears that cause the rotation to be reversed. so the only thing that actually gets reversed is the output shaft of the tranny. If you're smokin in reverse, you're slipping it too much.

Wow, someone learning to drive stick in an STi? That's a daunting task. Good for you though asking lots of questions and keeping your chin up. It's not the easiest car in the world, but it's by far not the most difficult.

Once you learn your machine, you'll be ripping off clean 250ms or less up and downshifts..

and riding the clutch IS resting your foot on the pedal. Big no no... don't do it. that's what the dead pedal is for.. that's where you put your foot when you're not USING the clutch.
    Doh...if I had thought about what I wrote, obviously I wouldn't have. hehe...good catch. It is true though that our STi's clutch smell's quite a bit more in reverse, and it's not due to a different clutch technique or anything I can figure out. Mine has done it since day one and I've just learned to live with it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

You should have your **** checked out then, mang. nobody else I know has this issue.
    2013 STi Wagon.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should have your **** checked out then, mang. nobody else I know has this issue.
    It's been discussed here quite a few times. Here are a few of the threads:
    does anyone else smell clutch
    Burnining smell

So FYI...there are quite a few others who have had "smelly" clutches. Like I've said in other posts, it doesn't affect the performance of the car, so I just live with it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

well, ok... there's no technical reason for it other than most ppl tend not to fully release teh clutch while in reverse, ppl feather it so it's more slippy than say a launch or a shift.

Sure plenty of ppl have clutch smells, it's a relatively small surface area plate, it burns easily.

I'm talking about specifically in reverse. There's no mechanical reason for it. it's the way you're driving the car.
    2013 STi Wagon.

I Support ClubWRX

I'm talking about specifically in reverse. There's no mechanical reason for it. it's the way you're driving the car.
    Hmmmm..ever heard of gear ratios? Will you slip a clutch more starting an STi in 2nd or 1st Gear? Same logic for 1st to Reverse. Since I can't find the ratio for reverse, it's kind of a moot point, but claiming it's due to the way the car is driven is unverifiable. Maybe yours does it too but you just can't smell it? Who's to know? All I can say is I'm debating the point whereby you said you didn't know anyone who had this issue, and I supplied just a few of the threads that point out quite a few others do. Maybe it is because of the way we drive. Funny though, my WRX didn't do this? Wonder why that is?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast