New STI tire/drivetrain noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New STI tire/drivetrain noise within the STi Transmission/Drivetrain forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; I've had my 05 STI for about 2 weeks now and I want to know if the tire/drivetraing noise I ...

New STI tire/drivetrain noise

I've had my 05 STI for about 2 weeks now and I want to know if the tire/drivetraing noise I hear is normal. I'm getting what sounds like tire noise but I'm not sure. Most noticable at highway speeds, doesn't change pitch if I push the clutch in. Deifnitely speed related with a 'once per revolution' sort of sound. Hard to tell if it is coming from both ends. It seems to be from the rear but when you turn your head then it sounds like it is coming from both front & rear.

I'm used to tire noise on my previous car, an EVO, but that one used to be loud at low speeds then quiet down at high speeds. The STI is just the reverse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know with my 04, the stock 070's scream on the highway.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

I get a hum on my 05 at exactly 80mph and 100mph but only under power. It sounds like it's coming from the rear end. It's not engine related because it doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I hear a lot of rolling noise at 50 and 70 or so.

As a subee dealer, I say. It's a racecar, deal with it.
    2013 STi Wagon.

That's pretty much what my dealer says. To my mind the STI is closer to a BMW than it is to a race car but that is really beside the point. What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is a normal noise or if it indicates I have a defective tire (or worse).

Does switching to more conventional tires eliminate the noise? I'm not necessarily saying I would do this if it ruined the handling but the noise really gets on my nerves.

Well a great deal of the noise will always be there, no matter what tire you use. The suspension is so tuned that micro vibrations usually any bump that requires any standard suspension to travel as little as .5" is simply transferred into the chassis in the STi. That is to include road noise and tire hum.

If you've ever driven a race car, it sounds almost exactly the same. Save for the lack of dog gears and the sound that youre in a can, at least there's carpet, but there's no sound deadedning material in the car, so that too, is another factor letting the road noise sound into the cabin.
    2013 STi Wagon.

Changing tires makes no difference - especially to winter tires.

they are just as loud... and the "humm" or resonation sound is still there. I have this exact same problem in my 30 year old car with stiff springs and no sound deadening material...
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.