06 STi Plastic Motor Mounts-be careful!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 STi Plastic Motor Mounts-be careful!! within the STi Transmission/Drivetrain forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; Originally Posted by branemaniac Are you sure? I just noticed that when I let off of the throttle, I hear ...

Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    Are you sure? I just noticed that when I let off of the throttle, I hear a clunking sound directly under the e-brake handle with some vibrations. I had my megan racing catback installed two weeks ago, and I guess it could be loose, but maybe; just maybe; my WRX has some plastic mounts. I did not notice it until two days ago, and I am getting worried. I have an appointment at 4 tomorrow to have my tires rotated, so I am going to have them check it out. I hope it is just my dp/mp connection that is loose or rubbing, cuz that would be a simple fix.

Did I describe this problem correctly or no?
    Morning Bump!
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by STI.dreams View Post
    tell the salesman you wanna take a test drive in a wrx, and teach your self to drive stick...

Did that this past weekend, the sales girl was a pretty good teacher. A friend of mine that gave me a couple lessons in his old junker BMW wasn't as good at explaining wha tto do, when, etc. He wanted me to get the engine revved up a bit around 1500 RPM before letting the clutch out, which was a bit clunky, and his advice on when to shift to the next gear was when the engine gets loud. He's book-smart like crazy (two graduate degrees in different fields) but he's still an idiot. The sales girl was better at explaining how to tell when the clutch is starting to grab and stuff like that, but I still stalled the poor thing about 8 times at a stop sign. She didn't seem worried about it though, saying it was a smooth stall or something like that instead of the kind I'd know was the other way of stalling.ve up on the Limited anyway, turns out after paying more attention while I'm in the thing the lower ceiling from the moonroof rubs my head. No fun, so I'm looking at regular ones now. I need that extra inch or so of space up there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    Morning Bump!
    A broken motor mount (or even cracked) is immediately noticable by the lurch to the side (conventional mount) or front to back (tranverse mount) that the entire car takes every time you get on or off the gas. When it starts, it's mainly a clunking sound but you can feel it like a heavy bump...usually in the shifter.

Once it gets worse, there is no mistaking it. I've never felt a broken motor mount up through the e-brake handle. Sounds like an exhaust rubbing issue, or driveshaft issue. Possibley the catch on the brake end? Not sure, but there is always something new coming round the bend. Maybe a cracked tranny mount (virtually unheard of..and the shifter handle would def. move).

Did you look through the thread and the pictures of the broken mounts and then look under the hood? Not to be mean or anything, but in the time spent on this site posting the question, you could have answered your own question and gained some underhood knowledge.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Did you look through the thread and the pictures of the broken mounts and then look under the hood? Not to be mean or anything, but in the time spent on this site posting the question, you could have answered your own question and gained some underhood knowledge.
    I know that you are not trying to be mean, and it is a valid point, it is just that I live in a college dorm, and a simple stroll (through a 2 mile path, each way) to get to my car is necessary. At the time I wrote those posts, I was not in a place to where I could have reached my car and "popped my hood".

Like I said before, I have an appointment today around 4, so I will have them check it out.

Thanks!

P.S. I am a total noob and I am the least motor / tranny savvy person ev4r!!1! LOL I would not know where to look or what to look for...
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem. My suggestion: Scroll through this entire thread. There are some fairly detailed pictures of the motor mounts in it. You should be able to identify the motor mount location based on the pics and thus, see if they are the plastic liquid filled breakable mounts or not. Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

No problem. My suggestion: Scroll through this entire thread. There are some fairly detailed pictures of the motor mounts in it. You should be able to identify the motor mount location based on the pics and thus, see if they are the plastic liquid filled breakable mounts or not. Good luck!
    Well, I iwent to the dealership today to have them look at it, and lets just say that it is not a problem of the mounts. I am going to post up a thread in another area of what the real problem is...

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like an exhaust rubbing issue, or driveshaft issue.
    For those reading this thread....it was the exhaust rubbing on the undercarriage.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

For those reading this thread....it was the exhaust rubbing on the undercarriage.

Thanks, I just didnt want to hijack this thread with an entirely different problem...

Suspect a broken left mount

I hard launched at the track last weekend and I now have a popping sound left side. I've taken to the dealer and I am awaiting their diagnosis. Tech said they are replacing the 06 mounts with the 05 mounts so we shall see.

'06 Left side out

I launched at the last races and broke my left mount as well. It actually punctured the liner under the hood as well. The dealer has ordered the '05 mounts and the liner and will replace EVERYTHING under warranty. This was in OCTOBER and I am still waiting for the parts to come in.

Will keep you posted!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    perusing the Subaru Canada site (they have more 09 WRX info) and it shows the 09 WRX as having liquid filled engine mounts- after reading through this thread not sure how excited I am about that news
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Liquid filled mounts are useful in instances when vibrations are common, as in when cylinder deactivation is used etc. I'm sure if the mounts become a problem you can use homologated solid mounts (or maybe even silent block type mounts from an older version of the car, I don't know). They'll need something to sell as a Group N part so something will be available.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Or just wait until Subaru starts warrantying them after they fail, then replacing them with last years mounts. Shades of the 06 dare I say?
    It's not a big deal. If they fail, just print out this thread, show it to the dealer, and request solid mounts for the replacement. Hopfully you won't be the first though, as this will be denied by the dealer due to "high rpm launches".

Sometimes Subaru engineering baffles me.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    looks like the 08's might have come w/ liquid mounts as well- possibly these are new and improved

I've run Grp N mounts in both my 02 and 04, no doubt my 09 will sport Grp N's as well

btw the rear transverse link bushing is also liquid filled (has been since the 02's)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    The tickover shakes may not be inherent in the motor design itself, as that is balanced as-is, but in any case they are present and they are probably not attractive to new customers attracted by the mass-appeal of the car that have not driven Trabants before moving to the new Impreza. Just my guess as to their thinking. Ideally, both my guesses might be right; mass appeal plus plans for cylinder deactivation to boost their fuel economy when cruising.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast