06 STi Plastic Motor Mounts-be careful!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78

This is a discussion on 06 STi Plastic Motor Mounts-be careful!! within the STi Transmission/Drivetrain forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; I think I'll just write a letter to SOA....

  1. #31
    Registered User Wyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    28
    I think I'll just write a letter to SOA.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does anyone have confirmation regarding the change in motor mounts for the 06 STi model? Links? Pictures? Anything? I'd like to get this positively confirmed for this thread.
    thx...scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  4. #33
    Registered User VVVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denverish
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle lewie wrx
    Your dealer is a bunch of crooks. Yours broke? And they didnt warranty it?? That 100% should be warrantied. The cases Ive heard in the local dealerships that have seen broken mounts, have all fixed em with the 04-05 mounts, under warranty. Id go back to your dealer and raise hell. HOWEVER, you cant make them put in the group N mounts, only the 04-05 ones (they might be the same tho). Id go back to your dealer and say, "Hey guys, SOA wont be to happy to hear what you did to me."
    Yeh, it appears to be that SOA changed the mounts mid production on the 06.
    SOA doesn't care. The dealership will probably get a commendation for saving SOA money.

  5. #34
    Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Does anyone have confirmation regarding the change in motor mounts for the 06 STi model? Links? Pictures? Anything? I'd like to get this positively confirmed for this thread.
    thx...scott
    Refer to this thread of mine, pics and all on IWSTI. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51875
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

  6. #35
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle lewie wrx
    Refer to this thread of mine, pics and all on IWSTI. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51875
    Great! It's official then. Now...if any of you out there run into issues on the earlier 06 motor mounts, just print this whole thread out and take it into the dealer. If they are hassling you, this will change their minds. I can just see an attorney in courst now...."So...Mr. SOA representative, you admit that you changed out the cheap, plastic motor mounts on later 06 STi models for the higher grade STi mounts of previous model years. The earlier 06 STi's have the less expensive mounts on them correct? Why did you change them out and not inform my client? Again...what prompted you to make this change at all? Surely it wasn't because there were all.....maybe...BREAKING! I rest my case your honor".

    Judge" Judgement for the prosecution. Defense to pay all parts and labor costs, in addition to Plaintiffs legal fees, courst costs, and a summary award of ten thousand for being a general ignormaous and trying so "be the man"."
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  7. #36
    Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Great! It's official then. Now...if any of you out there run into issues on the earlier 06 motor mounts, just print this whole thread out and take it into the dealer. If they are hassling you, this will change their minds. I can just see an attorney in courst now...."So...Mr. SOA representative, you admit that you changed out the cheap, plastic motor mounts on later 06 STi models for the higher grade STi mounts of previous model years. The earlier 06 STi's have the less expensive mounts on them correct? Why did you change them out and not inform my client? Again...what prompted you to make this change at all? Surely it wasn't because there were all.....maybe...BREAKING! I rest my case your honor".

    Judge" Judgement for the prosecution. Defense to pay all parts and labor costs, in addition to Plaintiffs legal fees, courst costs, and a summary award of ten thousand for being a general ignormaous and trying so "be the man"."
    I have a feeling im going to get in the mail a summary of a class action suit. Im sure people have taken this to court/gotten really really mad their brand new 34,000 dollar car had broken/cheap/plastic engine mounts. A local 06 owner with the cheap mounts had serious damage done to his car. Which had like 900 miles on it. Needed to replace the tmic and the hood!!!!
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

  8. #37
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah..someone at SOA really screwed up. I find it hard to understand how they would jeapardize the soon to be legendary drivetrain of the STi. It is absolutely phenominal how much hp and tq the stock system can take...and then they toss in these el cheapo mounts on a supposdely "upgraded" model. Talk about a bass-ackwards decision. Well...at least they recognized their mistake and fixed it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  9. #38
    Registered User VVVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denverish
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Great! It's official then. Now...if any of you out there run into issues on the earlier 06 motor mounts, just print this whole thread out and take it into the dealer. If they are hassling you, this will change their minds. I can just see an attorney in courst now...."So...Mr. SOA representative, you admit that you changed out the cheap, plastic motor mounts on later 06 STi models for the higher grade STi mounts of previous model years. The earlier 06 STi's have the less expensive mounts on them correct? Why did you change them out and not inform my client? Again...what prompted you to make this change at all? Surely it wasn't because there were all.....maybe...BREAKING! I rest my case your honor".

    Judge" Judgement for the prosecution. Defense to pay all parts and labor costs, in addition to Plaintiffs legal fees, courst costs, and a summary award of ten thousand for being a general ignormaous and trying so "be the man"."
    Ooo, ooo, I want to live in that dream world. What would really happen -

    SOA lawyer #1 - So, Mr. Engineer, what parameters did you use to design these motor mounts.
    Engineer - Well, we calculated the torque that would be applied to the motor mounts during a normal start from a stoplight, and also at the maximum torque RPM of the engine and used the worst case for the design. The only way for these motor mounts to break would be if the design torque were exceeded.
    SOA lawyer #2 - Under what conditions would that be exceeded.
    Engineer - A high RPM launch, something like that.
    SOA lawyer #3 - Something like RACING, you mean?
    Engineer - Yes, racing would definitely cause them to break.
    Judge - I see, so Mr. Plaintiff, you were racing were you?
    Plaintiff - No sir, I was just driving the car like it was meant to be driven.
    Judge - Obviously not if you are breaking the car. For your insolence, I am sentencing you to five years probation for reckless driving, 60 days in jail for perjury, and another 60 days in jail for street racing. To be served consecutively.
    Plaintiff - But, but...I'm not even on trial here, not to mention that there's no evidence, witnesses, or tickets. Where's my due process?!?
    Judge - Pffff, like that matters!!! Hahahahahaha
    SOA lawyers #1-20 - HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Judge - Bailiff, take him away.

  10. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    8

    Exclamation Engine Mount

    Need help.
    Is the task of replacing the stock mounts myself gonna be hard?
    Is it better to have it done prefessionally?

  11. #40
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Ooo, ooo, I want to live in that dream world. What would really happen -

    SOA lawyer #1 - So, Mr. Engineer, what parameters did you use to design these motor mounts.
    Engineer - Well, we calculated the torque that would be applied to the motor mounts during a normal start from a stoplight, and also at the maximum torque RPM of the engine and used the worst case for the design. The only way for these motor mounts to break would be if the design torque were exceeded.
    SOA lawyer #2 - Under what conditions would that be exceeded.
    Engineer - A high RPM launch, something like that.
    SOA lawyer #3 - Something like RACING, you mean?
    Engineer - Yes, racing would definitely cause them to break.
    Judge - I see, so Mr. Plaintiff, you were racing were you?
    Plaintiff - No sir, I was just driving the car like it was meant to be driven.
    Judge - Obviously not if you are breaking the car. For your insolence, I am sentencing you to five years probation for reckless driving, 60 days in jail for perjury, and another 60 days in jail for street racing. To be served consecutively.
    Plaintiff - But, but...I'm not even on trial here, not to mention that there's no evidence, witnesses, or tickets. Where's my due process?!?
    Judge - Pffff, like that matters!!! Hahahahahaha
    SOA lawyers #1-20 - HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Judge - Bailiff, take him away.
    hehe...your usual droll, funny stuff VVV.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  12. #41
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by talva81
    Need help.
    Is the task of replacing the stock mounts myself gonna be hard?
    Is it better to have it done prefessionally?
    You'll need access to tools and a floor jack. It can be done but if it is warrentied, why not let them do it?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  13. #42
    Registered User Wyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    28
    So I wrote a letter to SOA explaining that I believe the plastic motor mounts installed on my car were defective and that I had to pay out of my pocket to replace them.

    SOA wrote this response:

    ------------------------
    Thank you for your letter received by Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

    We have documented your comments in our Customer Service System and understand your concern in this matter. We are sorry that the engine mounts required replacement on your vehicle. After speaking with the technical department they advised that the engine mounts on your vehicle originally were a hydraulic resin mount. THere was nothing mechanically wrong with this part. Subaru of America, Inc. frequently changes or updates parts. There is a replacement motor mount available that is made of rubber. This is the mount that the dealership would have been able to order for your vehicle.

    Mr. Lederman, we care about you as a Subaru owner. Unfortunately, we cannot assist you with the labor to install the aftermarket parts that you chose for your vehicle. At this time, we are not aware of a mechnical issue with the original motor mounts. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

    If you should need future assistaince, please contact us at 1-800-SUBARU3.

    Sincerely,

    Lana Gardner-Downs
    Customer Service

    -------------------------------

    This is so asinine that I don't think it requires comment on my part.

  14. #43
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Mr. Dealer, can you get me the better motor mounts to replace these crappy plastic mounts that broke?
    Uh...no...we can only order and install the same mounts that are on the car.

    Ok...I'll just buy some aftermarket mounts that are better, but can you at least install them for me?

    Uh..no...we can't install non subaru parts.

    Hey, Subaru of America, whats up? I tried to get better mounts from my dealer by he says he can only get me the crappy mounts that broke. Instead, I bought aftermarket mounts and installed them myself. What gives?

    Dear kind owner,
    Sorry...the dealer is an idiot and should have known to order the much better mounts and installed them for you. To bad you bought the aftermarket mounts and installed them yourself. We can't install them anyway. By the way, even though we have now made a much better mount available, there is nothing wrong with the original plastic/liquid filled mounts...we just did it, no big reason. Even though yours and many others have broke, there is nothing wrong with them. If we keep saying this, our lawyers tell us it will make it real. Seems to be working.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Soo...you should at least inquire as to the recouping the cost of the original stock mounts, since the dealership forced you into an aftermarket mount due to their inability to locate the mount you requested. SOA should back you up on this. Worth a shot.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  15. #44
    Registered User zapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,307
    I just broke one on my sti this past weekend, i bought the car at the end of june so i'd assume its one of the newer ones with swapped parts but we'll see. i'm going to ask them to keep it for me.

    do you know when they are fixing them if they have been putting the ones they have been swapping into the cars or the old plastic ones?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

    <=====my old baby

  16. #45
    Registered User Wyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    28
    I bought my own replacement mounts (Group-N), but Subaru will most likely replace yours with '05 mounts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •