STI clutch vs. wrx

This is a discussion on STI clutch vs. wrx within the STi Transmission/Drivetrain forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; ok, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I used to own an 02 wrx, and recently bought ...

STI clutch vs. wrx

ok, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I used to own an 02 wrx, and recently bought an sti, well i still have an exedy dual disc clutch from the wrx, and was wondering if it will fit in the sti or not? anyone know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The hub sizes are the same and the outside diameter of the discs won't matter, so it should fit. If you know who the vendor is, I would call them up and ask. Google is your freand BTW. I did a quick check and the Exedy twin disc kits have differente part numbers for the WRX vs the STi, but they appear to have the same part dimensions. I'd call a Exedy clutch vendor to be sure.

Good luck.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

clutch

thanks for the help, i will have to give diakin a call and see what they have to say. hopefully it will fit because that will save me 1600 bucks. If anyone else has any suggestions or comments please feel free.... thanks

in my limited investigation of the same topic i determined through the ACT clutch guys that standard design, i.e. pull type throwout, are indeed interchangeable and that the only difference in clutches is the friction surface diameter, the WRX being 330mm and the STi being 340mm. as long as the clutch has the torque capacity to match or exceed the stocker STi clutch i would put it in. plus with a lightened flywheel you get a smaller pressure plate size and lighter fiction disk to help in shifting and reducing rotational weight on the crank in general. neet-o.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by awd4life
    in my limited investigation of the same topic i determined through the ACT clutch guys that standard design, i.e. pull type throwout, are indeed interchangeable and that the only difference in clutches is the friction surface diameter, the WRX being 330mm and the STi being 340mm. as long as the clutch has the torque capacity to match or exceed the stocker STi clutch i would put it in. plus with a lightened flywheel you get a smaller pressure plate size and lighter fiction disk to help in shifting and reducing rotational weight on the crank in general. neet-o.
    That was my assessment too, but I figured I'd let the vendor give him the go ahead as it will give him a "go to" location if something doesn't fit. Sounds like he's headed in that direction anyway. Nice writeup BTW
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

clutch

yeah thats for all the help, and saving me all this money. I am going to install the clutch this weekend, i will keep everyone informed.

thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Mat,
    Please let us know how the install goes. Take pics if you can and we'll put a tutorial up for it. This will be good info to know if a swap like this can occur.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the input shaft splines the same on both transmissions?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know. Looking at the various dimensions, it looks that way, but you would think the STi spline was a bit more robust. I guess it's all in the casing (strength that is). We'll find out when he does the swap.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I don't know. Looking at the various dimensions, it looks that way, but you would think the STi spline was a bit more robust. I guess it's all in the casing (strength that is). We'll find out when he does the swap.
    I just hope he doesn't pull it apart to find out they are different.

(been there, done that)

they are the same, and the ACT guys confirmed it also, the input shaft is of the 1"X24spline variety, this layout spans the board of the popular suby motors too, including the N/A motors, again the only difference being the clutch friction surface diameter changes. i am curious though as to the differences in the popular aftermarket clutches fitting into the 6spd. due to bell housing differences, to make room for the bigger pressure plate. im also curious as to what other common clutches might fit into the 6spd. case, i know that GM used 1"X24spline clutches for many variations of their trannies and wonder if ther exists a more abundant and cheaper clutch that would fit in and work correctly.

clutch is going in

well, the clutch is going in sat. around noon, i will try and take some pictures and hopefully be able to give some kind of tutorial about everything that was involved. I found a couple of sites with some tutorials that i will be following, if they seem to work out then i will post the links to the sites. Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out with everything and finding all that information.

thanks