Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cam Gear HELP!!!!

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jb50 
#1 ·
I cant get my cam gears off for some reason. I have a great snap-on impact! I even tried the ol' breaker bar and gear wrench. I cant get them to budge! Please Please help me!!! If anyone knows anything or where I could find info, please let me know!! Thanks!!

#3 ·
I was in an accident and the exhaust side jumped and hit the frame rail which knicked it a little, and the plastic protector behind it is broken. The engine is out of the car and I have no idea how to get them off!! Im turning the same way as the crank and have a gear wrench on it and everything! If yolu have any feedback, lemme know!! Thanks alot for responding!

#6 ·
I just read something somewhere that people are saying there is a special tool you need to get them off but I can't hardly believe it...?

Maybe call Subaru Service and see if they know of any tricks.

#8 ·
there are two special tools to remove the cam sprockets.

ST 499977500 CAMSHAFT SPROCKET WRENCH holds the sprocket from rotating

and

ST 499207400 CAMSHAFT SPROCKET WRENCH removes the bolt from the center

(I'm pretty sure you can do this with general tools if you can figure out how to hold the sprocket in place)

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

#11 ·
Thanks for all of your help guys!! But I still cant get these things off!!! I went to subaru and they said they couldnt order those tools. No-one seems to know ANYTHING where I live!! Im really starting to get pissed!! Already have the new turbo on! The new fuel rails and injectors are all on!! I have everything I need to fix it from the wreck!! But I cant put the engine back in and do the rest cause of these damn gears!! Im not retarded!! I can pull my motor in an hour and a half with no problem! I just have no clue what is wrong! I know that they use that sealent that turns to a powder basically when its heated , but I figured me using a 600 ft. lb gun would get them ... but no .. So if there is anyone out there that at least has an idea .. I will appreciate it!! Thanks alot!!

#14 ·
Ok Sorry it took so long but this is how you do it. Take a stick of 2x4 and cut it about 3 ft long. now miter the last 4" or so so its only like 3/4" X 4" the object of doing this is so the width fits on the gear. Now cut the radious of the cam gear into that end you mitered down so it fits snug aroung the gear. now take the old timing belt and cut a chunk about 2 ft long off and wrap that peice around the cam gear. with the access belt of the 2 ft section screw to the top of the 3/4" X 4. Now lower the 3/4" X 4 down around the cam gear so your overlapping the part where you began wrapping the timming belt. this should be taking place at the bottom of each gear. The object of this tool it to be used just like an oil filter wrench only its to hold your gear. Now have a friend hold the tool you made and loosen the cam bolt with a breaker bar. If you can look at an oilfilter wrench it makes this tool real easy to make as well as understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.