Cam Gear HELP!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cam Gear HELP!!!! within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I cant get my cam gears off for some reason. I have a great snap-on impact! I even tried the ...

Cam Gear HELP!!!!

I cant get my cam gears off for some reason. I have a great snap-on impact! I even tried the ol' breaker bar and gear wrench. I cant get them to budge! Please Please help me!!! If anyone knows anything or where I could find info, please let me know!! Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

R
    Whats your situation? why are you trying to take them off? is the engine out of the car? if so i have some tricks if not try going to the dealer to see if they lend out the cam gear tools for an hour or so. theres two separate tools.

I was in an accident and the exhaust side jumped and hit the frame rail which knicked it a little, and the plastic protector behind it is broken. The engine is out of the car and I have no idea how to get them off!! Im turning the same way as the crank and have a gear wrench on it and everything! If yolu have any feedback, lemme know!! Thanks alot for responding!

i have the same problem!! i cant take this bolt off!! are these bolts left loose and right tight?

thats the way the crank is soo it must be the same way!! I know man, I cant figure it out!!

I just read something somewhere that people are saying there is a special tool you need to get them off but I can't hardly believe it...?

Maybe call Subaru Service and see if they know of any tricks.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

What kind of tool?? I have tried almost everything. The guy from the Subaru Dealership here said they should just come right off!! This Really sucks!!

I Support ClubWRX
    there are two special tools to remove the cam sprockets.

ST 499977500 CAMSHAFT SPROCKET WRENCH holds the sprocket from rotating

and

ST 499207400 CAMSHAFT SPROCKET WRENCH removes the bolt from the center

(I'm pretty sure you can do this with general tools if you can figure out how to hold the sprocket in place)

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Do you know where I could get these from?? Subaru??

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep. Just call your local dealer and give the part numbers to the parts department. You might want to check with a local auto parts store too, as sometimes the can provide pretty quick service.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Thanks for all of your help guys!! But I still cant get these things off!!! I went to subaru and they said they couldnt order those tools. No-one seems to know ANYTHING where I live!! Im really starting to get pissed!! Already have the new turbo on! The new fuel rails and injectors are all on!! I have everything I need to fix it from the wreck!! But I cant put the engine back in and do the rest cause of these damn gears!! Im not retarded!! I can pull my motor in an hour and a half with no problem! I just have no clue what is wrong! I know that they use that sealent that turns to a powder basically when its heated , but I figured me using a 600 ft. lb gun would get them ... but no .. So if there is anyone out there that at least has an idea .. I will appreciate it!! Thanks alot!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Last shot. Call any one of the following:

www.turboxs.com

www.godspeedtuning.com

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/contact.htm

One of these folks should be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, you might want to post the same question in the Engine Performance section as the motorheads tend to hang out there more.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

God
    www.godspeedinc.com actually
    Try this. I use an old timing belt to hold the cam steady and then use your choice in breaker bars. Works every time.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

R
    Ok Sorry it took so long but this is how you do it. Take a stick of 2x4 and cut it about 3 ft long. now miter the last 4" or so so its only like 3/4" X 4" the object of doing this is so the width fits on the gear. Now cut the radious of the cam gear into that end you mitered down so it fits snug aroung the gear. now take the old timing belt and cut a chunk about 2 ft long off and wrap that peice around the cam gear. with the access belt of the 2 ft section screw to the top of the 3/4" X 4. Now lower the 3/4" X 4 down around the cam gear so your overlapping the part where you began wrapping the timming belt. this should be taking place at the bottom of each gear. The object of this tool it to be used just like an oil filter wrench only its to hold your gear. Now have a friend hold the tool you made and loosen the cam bolt with a breaker bar. If you can look at an oilfilter wrench it makes this tool real easy to make as well as understand.

Lightbulb Special Tools

For future reference, Subaru special service tools can be obtained via SPX Kent-Moore @ 866-213-4690 or check out their website @ http://subaru.spx.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast