STi terrible in the snow - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on STi terrible in the snow within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trust me...a good set of snows makes a world of difference. I've pushed snow that was up to my grill. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Trust me...a good set of snows makes a world of difference. I've pushed snow that was up to my grill. Just recently...see evidence below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_1215.JPG   DCP_1213.JPG   DCP_1214.JPG  
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have Blizzacks on my STi. I own the roads
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Quote Originally Posted by bernardo
    all season tires = no season tires
    they suck in any application if you're at all serious about getting the most out of your car in every condition.

snow tires on WRX/STi = the shizzzzzT!!

Spending $500 on snow tires hurt a little at first, but they're gonna last me at least 4 winters, and that's worth the $ right there. That's 4 winters of safer trips from CT to VT on the weekends.
    Ummm.... Unless you don't need a dedicated snow tire since you face very little snow during the winter. So far this year I have had to drive in the snow twice, with about 30min total commute time. The snow around here doesn't stay long and it cleared within a few hours. Snow tires= waste of money for me. I got a good set of high performance all seasons (Pirelli P-Zero Nero), which do well in the snow I see, and give me decent performance the rest of the time. A dedicated snow tire here would be more of a burden than help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunks
    I would NEVER drive a the stock STi tires in the snow or ice... that's asking for trouble.
    Yea, common, you deff. need 450 whp to warm those tires up and melt through the snow. . .
    ***2004 PSM STi***

noob with the stockers

I was up in mammoth during the last big storms (about 6 ft in 2 days) and thought i'd chat it up with a fellow WRX owner staying at the same condos that I was at. anyway, I noticed the chains and asked what was up with that. he said he had to put them on after the CHP tow service pulled him out of a ditch. i guess someone was watching too much WRC on the tube. anyway, needless to say this was an embarrassment to the community as a whole. he took a pretty good dinger on the bumper. a shame really. i didn't have any problems with the stock re92s on the same trip but i didn't try to do anything that could be considered unsafe.

tan
    I think the problem was he's running front chains only. Because of this, most likely some oversteer and spun out.

Exactly the same thing with me. I found out recently my tires are Ultra-High Performance Summer tires...I was all over the roads. I was planning on putting some Blizzaks LM25 but on here might buy my car and he is from Cali, so I'm post poning of putting it on. Trust me, it's not your car, its your tires. AWD+Snow tires = street killer. awd + no snow tires = rwd
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

My Stage IV WRX was totalled by a drunk driver. Fcuk him!

oh yeah, tirerack. you can get blizzaks with steelies for cheap. WRX steelies!
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

chains.

Quote Originally Posted by tan
    I think the problem was he's running front chains only. Because of this, most likely some oversteer and spun out.
    he had to put the chains on after the chp pulled him out of the ditch.

If its about the $..

I went cheep and got some $90 Kumo All Seasons, just to get me through the winter, and out in the heavy stuff on Saturday at about 3:30 pm in unplowed Bergen County NJ the STI did fine. I know there are much better snow tires out there, but if you wanna go cheep these are good in snow. The turn in on dry pavement is not like the stocks, but they are way quieter.

$90 total or $90 per tire?
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

Registered User MauroMotorsport's Avatar
    unfortunately you will never find a snow tire for a WRX or STi for $90 a set. I think he means $90 per tire...which is cheap.
    Anthony
    Anthony@mauromotorsports.com
    www.mauromotorsports.com
    631-451-3996
    356 whp FPgreen'd STI

i paid $87 a tire for my Dunlop Wintersport M2's and that's the best mod i got so far. Drifting in parking lots is so much fun now. Actually i don't like pointless drifting, i preffer to set up a couse and try to stick to it with as much speed as i can.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.